Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baz Luhrmann's Alexander the Great project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alessandros

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ely wrote:
Hmmm interesting, Can someone tell me what's the exact title of this book which supposedly the new movie will be based on?

yeah! talking about books....which one is da best???
alessandros

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wat about the book by robin lane fox?
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Manfredi's Trilogy on Alexander Reply with quote

Quote:
Ely Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:28 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm interesting, Can someone tell me what's the exact title of this book which supposedly the new movie will be based on?

This next film will be based on the historic novel about Alexander written by the Italian author Valerio Massimo Manfredi. It's a trilogy called Aléxandros. The first of the three books is called "Il figlio del sogno (The son of the dream)." There is another post on this forum about Manfredi's trilogy you can read.
allison

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to let those people putting Leonardo di Caprio down that they should see the movies Total Eclipse, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, The Basketball diaries, This Boy's Life, and Marvin's Room before they make up their minds. In Total Eclipse, Leo plays the French Author Rambeau (hope I spelled that right) who has a love/hate (and sexual) relationship with a married male author. In What's Eating Gilbert Grape, he plays a retarded young man, in the Basketball Diaries, he plays a junkie, in This Boy's Life he plays an abused child, and in Marvin's Room a closed off delinquant missfit. Quite a range, demonstrating his bravery re his roles, and his emotional style of acting. He's older now, so doesn't look like the teenager anymore, and would be an interesting Alexander (especially with the right script).

As I've stated before, I HATED the Manfredi books. I've no wish to see a film based on them (it would have to be something special for me to like it).

FYI - Baz Luhrmann began by directing opera (La Boheme most famously), which explains his odd theatrical style.
mOoK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA HA HA this guy is SO funny!!! there's NO freakin way he culd make "his" Alexander betta than this 1 ( OS film ) No one culd take Colin's place!!!!!!!!!!! He was born to b 'ALEXANDER' n we all know dat. but we juz let da guy say wha he wants bout his movie coz we know dat many people DO a lot of talking Rolling Eyes Di caprio o Brad Pitt as Alexander???? well........ no comment INDEED! Evil or Very Mad
joanna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad Pitt was hopeless as Achilles?Come on!..for me, he was convincing and looked gorgeous in the mini skirts.Very sexy...!Why didn't you like him as 'Achilles'?
Catherine X

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just wanted to let those people putting Leonardo di Caprio down that they should see the movies

Yes I must admit I haven't seen many of his films, it is just all the hype about him that puts me off.

But I don't think he's old enough to be given a Lifetime Achievement Award yet. He's only 30. Surely LAAs should be given to people over 50 or 60, when they have made a lifetime's worth of films for people to judge, and had the stamina to keep going? Leo could disappear tomorrow, then by the time he was 70, everyone will have forgotten him but his more long lasting contemporaries will then be eligible to get LAAs. Its like when people like Geri Halliwell write autobiographies- at 22 years old! Too young!

Sorry, this seems to be a soap box rant! Argh! [turns into Hulk and clothes fall off]
Pipsqueak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well catherine, make sure you put em (your clothes - that is) back on when you return to a more normal hue of pink - it's mighty chilly out there, don't ya know.
I agree - LDC should not get a life time achievement award - I'm sure he deserves one - just not yet - he isn't even middle aged!!!! If anything I think someone like Tom Cruise should get it - he's never won an Oscar and made Hollywood millions - plus he's a darn good actor (Vanilla Sky, The Last Samurai) but hey that's life - I wonder what moron makes these decisions - I mean, how can anyone remain impartial when nominating an actor??????? I know I couldn't.

Hiya Allison - you're right, of course, LDC is a brilliant actor (if he doesn't win an Oscar for Aviator I'll lose all faith and start worshipping satan - haha) and yes, he is versatile - but as much as I try to strech my imagination - I can't see him a horseback leading a charge of hundreds of thousands of men into battle - I'm sorry I can't - but I'll still go and see his efforts if it all goes ahead - why not - I love being proved wrong.......
halfaery

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like Stone´s misfire with his Alexander has made it easier to success for Baz´s project... I foresee: 5 Oscars, praising reviews etc. All those who didn´t like Stone´s film will love this one.

...not me.
Pipsqueak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Halfaery - damn are you right - even if people don't necessarily like Baz's version, they'll probably still say they do on principle - anything to cast OS's "morally questionable" (yeah right - morally superiour to most of the trash that Hollywood makes these days - imho - at least) version of the film in a bad light.
D'you think I'm being too cynical..............well, maybe - It might be good or it might be the biggest load of dross ever - guess we'll have to wait and see.
joanna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right halfaery,...not me,either.
cindoo15

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alessandros wrote:
wat about the book by robin lane fox?

GREAT book. I was so sad that I was finished reading it that I just started it all over again. There's so much good information in it that it wasn't a problem as I found many things on the second reading that I had forgotten about. I reccomend it whole heartedly!

For a shorter outline of Alexander, try Mary Renault's 'Nature of Alexander'. I recommend this as well. However, if you want to get in depth you've got to read Fox. Heck, buy them both.
joanna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a day!It's snowing a lot,my car didn't start and I had 5 hours lessons this morning.So I called the school and told them I couldn't make it today.Well,it's not a bad day after all!
Have you read Gisbert Haefs' books about Alexander?I bought them the other day.I still have to read them ,though.Right now I'm reading an Italian book about Alexander's women!"Le donne di Alessandro Magno" by Valeria Palumbo.I don't know if it's translated in English.It's very,very intresting.
lardvaark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halfaery, Pipsqueak and Joanna, I completely agree with what you said earlier. Not cynical at all, just bloody truthful, sadly. All the naysayers to OS' version will jump on the bandwagon of the first decent review BL's film gets, and start braying "See, that's how it should have been done" and all the rest of that chat. Not that I'm saying I'll boycott it out of spite (sinking to their level and all that), could be interesting.
BUT to me this film we pay tribute to here set the standard, and rather than filling in more on the ticksheet it actually defined the ticksheet in the first place, I like it for exactly what it is and as such it can't be surpassed in my mind (as with what you said, moOk). Smile
Etc.
Pipsqueak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen Lardvaark - preach it my friend - spread the gospel according to The Alexandrians (falls to my knees and shouts PRAISE ZEUS!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: