Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many times have you seen 'Alexander'?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joanna

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: How many times have you seen 'Alexander'? Reply with quote

Me? Unfortunately….only 15 . Maybe more ( less no, it can’t be!).

After being to all the cinemas near my house where ‘Alexander’ was shown, I had to go ….farther. I’ve been to villages in the mountains , near lakes, big cities, small towns. I’ve driven to remote places with the fog ,the snow, the….map to find my way (it’s a comedy,really).
Then, one day, the ‘big’ moment arrived. ‘Al’ was not shown anymore except….the theatre in Turin where I’d been there before to see it (of course !) . It’s a theatre, actually, but they have kept two auditoriums to show films.
Wow! When I found out that my ‘Alexander’ was still alive and reigning in that cute, quaint, friendly, comfortable place (actually it’s ugly, smelly, too old and needs decorating…), I couldn’t hide my joy. Even my apathetic students noticed it. After absorbing the fact I calmed down.
What happened next, you can imagine. I went there so many times that after a point I stopped counting them.
To my pleasure (but not a pleasure for my wallet that was forced to go on a diet ) ‘Alexander’ proved to be very loyal to that theatre for a long time.

Now what I’m going to say it’s true. I swear!
One evening that I went there the old lady (old but ….sharp-eyed) in the box office recognised me and when I approached her to buy my ticket she said :”One, for ‘Alexander’?” Her question hit me so unexpectedly that I only managed to nod. When I was inside waiting for the movie to start I swore to myself that this was the last time. “Enough”,I said,”There is a limit. I’m a sensible person and I can control myself. No . I won’t come here again! “.
The film started and after watching it for a minute (it took me a whole minute!) I completely forgot my thoughts and promises (see above).

So…next Saturday, as ‘Alex’ was still there (always!), I couldn’t do anything else but accept the idea that I was in…trouble. I had an urge to see it again,you see. “And what if she recognises me again? I don’t give a damn about it “. Then ,all of a sudden, I had a thought :”Maybe she is not there this evening .Maybe she’s ill or…kicked the bucket.” I didn’t mean to be nasty but you know ‘that’ can happen to an ancient person. Now thinking about that she may be a close relative to Alexander.(the times are right). That’s why she kept showing ‘Al’ for so long.!

Well, I took the brave decision, I got into my car and started driving there (around 60km far from my house). In the car I kept on playing the soundtrack of ‘Al’(what you had doubts about it?) ,just to make me feel relaxed and give me some courage.
I reached the theatre , got out of the car, started walking towards the entrance and I pushed the big door open with confidence(???).And….there she was! SHE was still alive ( pardon me ,’there’ I wanted to say).She was still there making life difficult for me. But there was something positive this time. There was a quite long queue waiting to get a ticket and that encouraged me because I could pass unnoticed. We were walking slowly towards HER and ….naturally my turn arrived. What an uncomfortable moment! I was, there, standing in frond of her. She raised her head, looked at me for a second and said :”One, for ‘Alexander’.” This time, it was not a QUESTION ! I was about to say :”Yes, and it’s none of your business, you old,pain in the ass, woman”. Instead I found myself defending and justifying my seeing ‘Al’ again saying :” Yes, right. You know, I like this movie a lot. And then ( like an idiot ) I added :” Have you seen it , too?”.
I still don’t know her answer!!!
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hillarious! Laughing
You have seen it 15 times? That is unbelievable!
I have seen the film 5 times already and I thought I was completely obsessed. I have actually seen Gladiator 8 times or Tomorrow Never Dies (a James Bond movie) 15 times, but never in such a short time.
As I have a copy of the theatrical version of Alexander on DVD, it has become a routine for me to daily watch three or four scenes from different parts of the movie and, of course, listening to a couple of songs from the soundtrack. Very Happy
rothalion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four times in the theater. twice with my little daughter she's 8 and she loves it and twice solo. Have a burned dvd so maybe four times more. The last time I went there were only 2 people aside from me in the theater. It ended around twelve midnight and the theater workers were rude enough to tell me how glad they were that that was the last show, they said they were appalled and offended by it. Glad to see it go. Mad I wanted to kill them both!!!
nikola1tesla

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five times for me. in theaters-- & not nearly enough I was sad when it left so soon, but tickled pink when it came back to the 2nd run movie house in San Jose 40 miles away. It's gone again & I can hardly bear waiting til July for the DVD!! My Robin lane Fox Making Of book came long after the film was gone-- & I can't wait to look at the film through new eyes all over again, with all these new technical & historical details in the back of my mind.
Hephaestion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the movie only two times. In the beginning of December I finally knew about the movie and realized it had been it theatres for about a week. It took me two weeks to go and see it. I was trying to get somebody to come with me (finally my friend came with me, and because of me, she was too very excited). A few days after Christmas we went to see it again (and we took another friend with us). After that they showed movie for about a week. I think it was in capital's theatres hardly for two months.

joanna, you are such an addict Laughing And my parents couldn't understand why I went to see Alexander two times! I'm not so sure do they know about this, but I saw the third Harry Potter movie three times... Dunno what they will say when I have Alexander DVD Smile
cindoo15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joanna - that story was hilarious! Laughing

I am just as bad as you but don't have the time. I can see myself driving long distances and facing down the 'Great Ancient One' to go see my movie.

Unfortunately, I only got to see it 5 times and it's been gone well over a month now. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Alexiel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I feel as stupid as Hephaistion,because I saw it twice lol
but because my lack of free time,unfortunately Smile
not that I wouldn't have watch it 300000000 times Smile Smile Smile
GLENDALEFALCON

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four times in four different theaters around the Springfield metro area
and the Ozarks. The picture looked terrible in three out of the four and
the sound was only decent twice. Can't wait for the DVD!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ely

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw it 4 times Very Happy
mOoK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it 4 times but still want some more Wink
Catherine X

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I win! I've only seen it ONCE. It was only at our cinema for 2 weeks, it is at a theatre for one day soon, but my husband said 'don't be silly, wait for the DVD to come out'.
Goldsnail

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it once and although I thought it was great I just don't have the money for multiple viewings Wink I'll wait for the DVD.
Adriv

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen it twice in the movie theater and 3 times on DVD. My cousin finally brought me the piracy DVD from South America. I was so excited! only one thing about the DVD, because it was piracy, it came from a copy from warner bros for review purpose, so sometimes I see the words about copy rights on the bottom of the screen, it is ok because I will still buy the extended version when it comes out. Ah! another thing, no subtitles in English which I was hoping to get.
I will see it more times this long weekend. Can't wait! Very Happy
Adriv

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH, and I forgot about my clips. I don't know if that counts Wink
allison

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 times - and I had a 45 minute drive to get to a cinema that was still showing it on the 6th occasion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: