Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stone's 'Alexander' Q & A at UC-Berkeley
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apelles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before OS began to reedit the dvd he was intervieved on the BBC arts prog Front Row and talked about what he hoped to do to improve on the original.Maybe this can help us to understand his thought processes.
Interviewer Many directors,when they release the dvd would go for the director,s cut with a more complex version.You are implying that you are going to go back to this film and simplify it,strip it down.It,s almost the idiot,s cut.
OS. I don,t regard this as the idiot,s cut.That would be condescending.If you can simplify something it,s better.I want to keep the complexity but this film is the most complex I,ve ever worked on,including JFK.I don,t know if you need too much complexity.I want a fourteen or fifteen year old girl or boy to see this film and understand the beauty of idealism.the beauty of what man can do.Perhaps I can make it more understandable to children. I do believe that Alexander was a positive force in the world
cindoo15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GLENDALEFALCON wrote:
Lets just calm down here a bit! ok!

I don't feel Stone is "backing down" or going "belly up"...he's simply putting
the cut of the film together that HE really wanted, but lacked time to fully
work out. I think the producer was right, they should've pulled out of
the fall '04 release...finished editing the film and picked a summer date.

Please don't ask me to calm down; I have not been angry at anybody here.

I must disagree when you say he is not backing down. He is making an about face on his idea on what the relationship between Alexander and Hephaestion was. That is obvious. Furthermore, he is doing it to be more pleasing to the majority which I find sad.

I am also upset to hear that he will remove some of the voice over by Anthony Hopkins. I know some people thought it was too much but I think it was a good way to explain the history that was not portrayed in the film. What did Stone say about this? That people can go read it if they want to. This seems wrong.

On the other hand; I am not so much bothered by him rearranging some of the other scenes - should be interesting to see how that turns out. It is just the LOSS of scenes that really upsets me.

So, is he really putting the cut of the film together the way HE really wanted or is it the cut that he must do to please an intolerant public? I am afraid that it is the latter.

Alexandros19 - you mentioned something a few posts back about pirate copies of the theatrical release. Looks like I'll be searching for one of those. So, where do you get one?

I will also buy the DVD, curiosity has the best of me and I am hoping for some behind the scenes and making of stuff on the official release.
cindoo15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apelles wrote:
Before OS began to reedit the dvd he was intervieved on the BBC arts prog Front Row and talked about what he hoped to do to improve on the original.Maybe this can help us to understand his thought processes.
Interviewer Many directors,when they release the dvd would go for the director,s cut with a more complex version.You are implying that you are going to go back to this film and simplify it,strip it down.It,s almost the idiot,s cut.
OS. I don,t regard this as the idiot,s cut.That would be condescending.If you can simplify something it,s better.I want to keep the complexity but this film is the most complex I,ve ever worked on,including JFK.I don,t know if you need too much complexity.I want a fourteen or fifteen year old girl or boy to see this film and understand the beauty of idealism.the beauty of what man can do.Perhaps I can make it more understandable to children. I do believe that Alexander was a positive force in the world

Interesting but odd. I think I'm with the interviewer here; I was hoping for a directors cut with more complexity, not simplification. But, I guess you all probably know that by now!
apelles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cindoo I couldn,t agree more.I get the feeling that he,s either under enormous pressure from the powers that be to change things to make the
movie more acceptable to a mass audience or he,s looking for a completely different angle.When I originally heard him say he was thinking about simplifying it my heart sank.Let,s just hope we get several versions----maybe he was referring to the family friendly one.
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pam, I completely agree with you. I want to see more in the DVD, not less. I want to see the scenes that were cut from the theatrical version, not an even shorter version of it. I frankly don’t give a damn about the “attention span” of audiences. If they put me a nine-hour film of Alexander, I will sit there and watch it (they could perhaps break it into a trilogy) Laughing.
I don’t know why many disliked the narration in the movie. I mean, I can understand that all of the historical information given can be overwhelming, especially to those who did not know much about Alexander, but I think it is very interesting to see the movie from the perspective of the Old Ptolemy and his memoirs (it has a profound historical meaning). Besides, I have to recognise it, I believe Anthony Hopkins is a great actor and has a fantastic voice for this kind of things. Through his voice, he enters you into the movie and keeps you involved. I was impressed when I saw Alexander for the first time because of the large number of excellent phrases with a great epic meaning it contained. Most of them come out from the narration, and it would be a tremendous pity if that part of the script were erased, especially the beginning or the end.
Regarding the DVD, Pam, I’m sure you can get a pirate copy of the theatrical version at many places in Dallas or through the Internet (you must check the have DVD quality and resolution and not just a fool who took a video camera to the movie theatre) Laughing. Also, I could try sending it to you by e-mail. I have it in two large files (700 Mb each), so it would take you two or three hours to download each file in a bandwidth connection and simply ages if you have a dialup connection. Then you’ll need a DVD decoder (about 7 Mb) which I can send to you and I would recommend you to use a programme like Download Accelerator so, in case there is any problem while downloading, you don’t have to start all over again and you can pick up the download from where you left.
Well, tell me if you are interested in that and I’ll try to do it soon. The film is still showing in theatres in Argentina, but I know you are suffering there. Waiting for the DVD until July could cause irreversible damage Laughing.
cindoo15

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexandros - you are my hero! I shall drink to you tonight along with my toasts to Alexander and Hephaestion.

My computer has a DVD writer so do I still need the DVD decoder?

I'll send you a pm and we can discuss the details.

Thanks again Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
tv

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, more not less. But OS already said he trimmed the movie down to 2 hours and some minutes Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil I wonder if they release two versions? Nah, scratch that! On second thought, would they? Rolling Eyes One is the short version for those who's short on the real thing, and the full version for ... us Laughing

I bought a pirate ALexander DVD while I was in Viet Nam this February. The quality was terrible and the scene when Alexander persuaded his generals to go to India; I was mad because I love that particular scene where Alexander scolded his generals "you left your King in Asia" but I was so in Alexander's mood that I watched it three times.
allison

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't OS say in the letter to Lardvaark that the June (?) release would be a two DVD set containing the theatrical release plus the family version? Confused

Or am I remembering wrong Sad Hope not. MUST have the theatrical release soon Evil or Very Mad Need my Alexander fix
lardvaark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allison, as I interpreted it OS said that there would be two versions released in line with one another, the 2hr55 version and the edited version. I don't think he meant in the same set (so you don't have to buy one in order to buy the other).

GLENDALEFALCON, I don't wanna ruffle any feathers here mate (sorry, no excuse for a pun that bad Embarassed Wink )but I couldn't disagree with you more. I think cindoo, tv, apelles, Alex_19 and co said it all. When you think about it, he DID touch on "the relationship angle" (God, it's like people feel awkward just saying it) in just a few scenes! In a movie nigh on 3 hours long it hardly accounted for the majority of screen time. And to hack away at this, one of the films greatest strengths (daring to not only mention but actually focus on a part of ATG's life that most productions won't go near) is criminal, full stop,

I might be the only one here, but I'll also be a bit miffed if the wedding feast scene is cut. The atmosphere, the tension and the seething resentment really leapt out of the screen at me. I personally think that without it, you never really get an idea of the conflict ATG experienced re both parents - instead you'd be left with the feeling that Philip hated Olympias but that he and Alexander got on like a house on fire - well maybe not that extreme but you know what I mean...
cindoo15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laardvark - you are 100% correct about the wedding scene. Not that I want any of that scene cut but if it is, I assume it would most likely be some of the playing around in the beginning of it - still a shame to lose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: