Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Empire- grrrrr!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catherine X

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Empire- grrrrr! Reply with quote

I just got my souvenir Star Wars copy of Empire- and there is a 'preview [i.e. a 'what they think will happen'] of the Alexander DVD. Some quotes are:

-'it has to be said that Alexander thundered noisily through the 'disappointing 'camp [anyone who raises the subject of star ratings at this point gets a a vigorous Chinese burn]. Alexnader's story is full of savagery, swordfighting and sex, but the epic biopic of the king of Macedonia proved less than the sum of its considerable parts. But there's hope that that may change on July 4, with the release of Ston'es new DVD cut.'

-'maybe a little hindsight will enable him [Oliver] to re-shape his long cherished vision.'

-'there's likely to be a commentary from Stone defending his corner' [on the theatrical version with extras]'

'But despite being a single disc, barebones edition, it will be the Final Cut that will be the bigger draw for fans. There's no word yet on whether the revised edit will be shorter or [please, Oliver, no] longer, but if you're still tinkering in the editing suite, Mr Stone, may we humbly offer the following: keep Angelina chewing scenery, the elephant battle, Rosario Dawson's assets. Lose about 40 minutes and Jared Leto's campy death scene.'

WHAT??????????? I'm so cross I can hardly type. What a pompous load of nonsense. How dare they say the Final cut will be better and draw more fans? If people liked Alexander, they did. If they didn't, why should they bother buying another re cut version? Unless they are pompous windbags like Empire who want to nerdily point out all the different shots, scenes and where it was made 'better'.

They also say Tom Cruise was in the running to play Al. TOM CRUISE? That would have ruined the whole thing.

Hmph! Going off to sulk! Evil or Very Mad
cindoo15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad Double grrrrrr; triple grrrrrr!!!!!!!!

I hate hearing that. It was a lovely film covering an impossibly long topic in just 3 hours! And they want it made shorter - with less of Hephaestion - grrrrrrr again! Alexander was a man; this movie made him REAL - that is a hard thing to accomplish and Stone did a great job of it.

Sorry Catherine that has to be at the beginning of what I believe is one of your other favorite films. I imagine you'll be doing a lot of fast-forwarding over that part. How awful to have to face THAT every time you want to watch your movie. You have my sympathies dear.
joanna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Empire- grrrrr! Reply with quote

Catherine X wrote:

. There's no word yet on whether the revised edit will be shorter or [please, Oliver, no] longer, but if you're still tinkering in the editing suite, Mr Stone, may we humbly offer the following: keep Angelina chewing scenery, the elephant battle, Rosario Dawson's assets. Lose about 40 minutes and Jared Leto's campy death scene.'

WHAT??????????? I'm so cross I can hardly type. What a pompous load of nonsense. How dare they say the Final cut will be better and draw more fans? If people liked Alexander, they did. If they didn't, why should they bother buying another re cut version? Unless they are pompous windbags like Empire who want to nerdily point out all the different shots, scenes and where it was made 'better'.

:

I'm wondering why Oliver agreed to do the Final Cut which is shorter! (unfortunately). I really don't understand that. He should make a longer version not a cut... Very disappointing Sad
alessandros

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acturely i m looking forward for the dvd cut, reason because i've seen the theatrcal version n i wanted to see how 'good' the new cut will be........................
Catherine X

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alessandros wrote:
acturely i m looking forward for the dvd cut, reason because i've seen the theatrcal version n i wanted to see how 'good' the new cut will be........................

Yes I know what you mean, but it just annoyed me how much Empire criticised our dear Alexander and Oliver Stone- there was nothing wrong with the film in the first place.... Mad
cindoo15

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am looking forward to the 'final cut' release as well. NOT because I think there was anything wrong with the original version; I am hoping to see scenes that may not have been in the original (I think I read that he took scenes out of the original and replaced them with othe scenes) - so in actuallity, if you have both versions, you will have a longer movie.

Technical question: Would it be possible for someone to meld the two versions together so as to have all the scenes in one film?
alessandros

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think OS had said before that he may have yet another version 'when the world is ready'(did he said this? or izzit in my dreams??)...lol...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: