Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The uncomfortable lovescenes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Jared Leto
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ml3al

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: The uncomfortable lovescenes Reply with quote

Now there has been a lot of talk about the lovescenes (if you can call them that) between Alexander and Hephaestion.
I admit the first time I saw the movie I thought the scenes between Alexander and Hephaestion were even to a viewer embarrasingly uncomfortable, but the second time I saw the whole movie I realised what it was all about. Like everything about the movie the plot-line is very hard to get. Alexander and Hephaestion are lovers since they were young but they arent together when Colin and Jared have their first dialog together which takes place right before the first battle scene of the film. When Alexander talks to Hephaestion about spending a night alone almost like trying to get hephaestion spend the night with him. And later when they are in Babylon Hephaestion asks from alexander that doesnt he have any love in his life and Alexander replies that only one he loves is hephaestion. And then they hug. Yes they JUST hug!

I found the lovescenes not so much uncomfortable than restrained. I mean whats with all the hugging! If you love the man and he confesses his love to you, you kiss him. You dont hug! I mean come on, what did they do all night?which wasnt shown in the movie. Did they cuddle all night long?

But the actors were as good as they could be. Its a shame that the role of Hephaestion was mostly being an extra on the back-ground.
Adriv

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Oliver Stone didn´t want to go far on the love scenes just to take the tension from the movie which was already in a lot of talk. I guess he wanted to show real love and friendship between them without love scenes, but I would and most of us rather see action between them Wink
nebari_at_heart

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think oliver handled the issue remarkably, and i think the lack of "action" works well. i totally see what you're saying ,and if a director's cut is a possibility... Very Happy Laughing Wink
i think what oliver chose to bring out in this movie was the true love and intimacy between the pair, and knowing oliver stone, he was most likely not pussy-footing around the idea of man-man action, [i am reluctant to use the label "homsexuality"].
as jared himself said, the sex was a footnote. and also, if the romance was emaphasised any more, it may have become a jazzed-up romance film [not that i have anything against that, but i don;t think this was oliver's intention.]
imo.

Nari
Catherine X

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if the romance was emaphasised any more, it may have become a jazzed-up romance film

Trying to imagine Al and Heph in 'Sleepless in Seattle' or 'Sleepless in Babylon'; or 'Roman Holiday'/ 'Macedonian Holiday' Laughing Laughing
Adriv

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catherine X wrote:
Quote:
if the romance was emaphasised any more, it may have become a jazzed-up romance film

Trying to imagine Al and Heph in 'Sleepless in Seattle' or 'Sleepless in Babylon'; or 'Roman Holiday'/ 'Macedonian Holiday' Laughing Laughing

That´s a good one Laughing
Ysoria

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agreed on Oliver Stone wanting to make it "subtle" - like the historical 'evidence' presented to us. its HINTING everywhere but actually nothing concrete to suggest there is definitely a sexual relationship but do the two love each other YES they do. Laughing

in the movie the same "teasings" is presented to the viewer, who can chooose to intepret any way he likes. it follows very closely to history i felt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Jared Leto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: