Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriv

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith Reply with quote

All my life I have been a big fan of Star Wars, from the beginning and now until the end.
I went to see episode III and I wasn´t dissapointed. Very Happy
I think episode III was a great ending for the saga, the acting got better this time because the acting in episode II didn´t convince me as much. The acting got more mature specially Anakin´s

It was sad at the end but obvious something we all knew.

Those 6 episodes will last from generations to generations, something you can pass on to our children.
Neo_ek

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't have said it better myself... !!
alessandros

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith Reply with quote

Adriv wrote:
All my life I have been a big fan of Star Wars, from the beginning and now until the end.
I went to see episode III and I wasn´t dissapointed. Very Happy
I think episode III was a great ending for the saga, the acting got better this time because the acting in episode II didn´t convince me as much. The acting got more mature specially Anakin´s

It was sad at the end but obvious something we all knew.

Those 6 episodes will last from generations to generations, something you can pass on to our children.

to mi, its the opposite, i dont think the new trilogy will be as great as the old ......even i'm a big fan of SW but i must say i don't really like it(episode III) and i think the scrip is abit off order.......but the action scene is really great
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been all last week watching with my friends the five previous episodes again. I went to watch Episode III and I though it was great! I love the political plot behind the movie and I must be the only one who feels sympathy for Anakin, am I? Laughing
Ysoria

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually see anakin as a brat who never grows up. even padme at 14 (in episode 1) appears rather mature.....anakin ought to be in his 20s by episode 3, seemed to be rather naive.

to be honest, the person i felt sorry for most was padme. for his sake she had to keep everything a secret, and then the boy started accusing of her having something going on with obiwan....how unfair really. lol.

and then she died of a broken heart. she was forever giving and she had to be sacrificed eventually.
Catherine X

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny, I was really looking forward to this film and did enjoy it. Well, perhaps enjoy is the wrong word, it was exactly right in that it tied up all loose ends. It was definitely given the right certificate, U or PG would have been far too lenient. Some scenes were really too horrific for little kids. Not a film I will watch over and over like the other 5.

But isn't Life strange? I anticipated this film for years, dreaded seeing it as I knew I would be devastated afterwards. But now something much greater and bigger has come along in my life, which makes Star Wars seem just a bit of fun... Confused
Adriv

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean Ysoria. It was sad. Sad

Did you all know that the guy who plays the emperor on the first 3 episodes is the same guy who played the emperor in episode IV (return of the jedi in 1983)? his name is Ian McDiarmid. I was surprise.
Ysoria

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really? wow.
kookook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That was my first, and remains my principal, reaction to having seen this film. I'm still so blown away I can't think straight, and I'm so wired I can't even formulate a coherent thought, much less type it out properly.

What a film. Unlike the last two which had parts that really diminished the enjoyment of the film, this one was non stop excitement, it was exhilarating, I was nothing short of exhausted after seeing this one. This is what Star Wars is all about, I remember reading Lucas saying this one would be darker, and was it ever, and that made it so much better than the last two.

One always expects the special effects to be excellent, and were they ever. The opening battle was brilliant, my only quibble with the lightsabre duels were that they were often so fast and chaotic that it was hard to follow. When comparing it to the way the Darth Maul vs. Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan battle was shot in Ep. I, this film had so many close ups and blurry lightsabres flashing all over the screen it was hard to tell who was doing what. But they were still fantastic fights. I also thought that the ship battle had the feel of an 18th century naval battle, two warships lining up and trading broadsides, a real standout scene.

The acting in this one was much better, and I think that had a lot to do with the fact that there didn't seem to be all that much dialogue, and not all sorts of clunky and awkward lines. Ewan McGregor was fantastic, I thought Hayden Christensen did much better this time, there didn't seem to be much of Natalie Portman, but every time she was on screen she added such presence, it was her that made Anakin's actions understandable. And can I just say, two scenes of Jar Jar, one at the start, one at the end, neither involving even a word of dialogue, good choice. Artoo was great comedy in the opening few minutes, it was probably for the better that there was not any forced Threepio humour.

I think the hardest thing to sell was Anakin's descent into the dark side, but I think the story does a really good job doing it. Everything seemed mostly natural, nothing was too forced, from executing Dooku to betraying Windu, and the driving force of that betrayal, trying to save Padme, all made sense. It might have been a bit too fast for him to submit to the Emperor, but adding that line about wanting the power to save her was telling. The Emperor's whole seduction of Anakin to the dark side was riveting, turning him against the Jedi Council, and then offering him that what he most needs, to protect Padme. It was convincing.

It was so sad, nothing short of heartbreaking, to watch as the Jedi were one by one, betrayed and killed by the clone warriors, as the Emperor executes special order 66 or whatever while Anakin leads that clone army into the Jedi HQ. It was horrifying to see when Anakin walked into that room where the kids were hiding, and him turning on the lightsabre, knowing what he was about to do. I'm not even sure of what I saw, but there was one scene, lasting barely a second, while Anakin was executing the separatist leaders, where the anguish over his murderous actions are visible in his face. To my eyes, this is what sold me about Anakin's descent, every step of the way I see torment, conflict in his eyes, in his expression, it felt real, which is why I praised the actor, because he convinced me. I don't know if his performance will impress other people, but I was greatly impressed.

I thought the Republic's gradual descent into Empire was also well done, if not just a bit of a shot to modern times. The Emperor's point about needing an Empire to achieve peace and security, Padme's point to Sen. Organa about how democracy dies to the sounds of applause, and Anakin's threat to Obi-Wan about how he was either with him or his enemy, resonated quite well.

The epic battles between Yoda and the Emperor, and Anakin and Obi-Wan, were great to watch. Yoda was unluckly not to have bested him, especially since Windu had already done so, and Yoda's point to Organa about having failed was like an apology to the fallen Jedi, and to the people of the galaxy, he could not stop the approaching darkness. I think it was a good point to show that it was Anakin's pride and his arrogance that led to his defeat at the hands of Obi-Wan, Anakin had always proven to be the greater warrior, the stronger Jedi, so Obi-Wan should never have defeated him in a normal fight.

The last scenes were nothing short of amazing. When Anakin thought that Padme betrayed him, and he started to choke her, and when the Emperor told Vader that it was he who killed Padme, and Vader's helpless fury and anguish, all that killing, all his actions, driven by his fear of losing her, and it was at his own hand that Padme was lost. That sealed the fate of Anakin, born again as Vader, and cemented him as the Emperor's apprentice. I thought that played out brilliantly, it was so sad, so tragic. I remember from Return of the Jedi, Leia said she remembered her mother, but I guess they decided that it was better to let Padme die, and her funeral resonated to much greater effect, especially after the meddroid said that she was healthy, but lost the will to live. The last two scenes, showing Leia, on Alderaan with Sen. and Mrs. Organa, and Obi-Wan, handing Luke to Owen and Beru, symbolised with all the hope of the coming sunrise, was an excellent ending, and served to tie the prequels with the original trilogy.

What can I say, I've loved Star Wars all my life, I'll always be a fan, and this movie was everything I could have ever hoped for. As far as I'm concerned, this film was a masterpiece, and I cannot wait to watch it again, and again, and again.

95%
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: