Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How well do you think the characters were portrayed?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AphroditeIncarnate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: How well do you think the characters were portrayed? Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan of the movie, and I'm just curious about how everyone else thinks the characters were shown. Were they just the way you imagined the real historical figures to look?

I thought Colin Farrell was stellar in his role. He looked the part--leonine golden hair and all--and he WAS Alexander. During the movie, I'd forget it was Farrell and not the real Alexander! And Jared Leto was marvelous as Hephaistion. His eyes are breathtaking... I'd expect any man who had a friend like Hephaistion (Leto) to love him... Don't get angry at me, Leto fans, but I had never even heard of him before seeing Alexander. Crying or Very sad I know, I know, it's sad...but I'm not an avid movie/actor follower--unless it's a historical epic.

Angelina Jolie was perfect in her role, I just wish the makeup department had made her look just a little bit older. I didn't mind the accent either--it just emphasized the fact that Olympias was a foreigner.
Goldsnail

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visually, neither Colin nor Jared match my picture of Alexander. Colin's dye-job was just too obvious, and Jared is too soft-faced. It's their performance that saved the day - it was simply stunning! Talk about charisma. They both have it in tons!

Val Kilmer and Angelina came pretty close to my idea of that strange couple, though Smile I was very happy with them.
isela

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy well in my point of view everything was cool
I like a lot Olympias and heph. about collin as Alexander I love him the only thing could be his hair Confused
and the kid who did the little Alexander (connor paolo) was very professinal
Adriv

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn`t Cleitus older in real life?? I like them all.... specially Hephaestion - strong, handsome man. It was perfect for me.
Cassander didn`t say much in the movie... why?
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriv wrote:
Wasn`t Cleitus older in real life?? I like them all.... specially Hephaestion - strong, handsome man. It was perfect for me.

Everything he said was just to upset Alexander, so I prefer him to stay silent. Laughing
joanna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexandros_19 wrote:
Adriv wrote:

Everything he said was just to upset Alexander, so I prefer him to stay silent. Laughing

So do I !
cindoo15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriv wrote:

Maybe because in reality Cassander stayed in Macedonia.

Why do you suppose Stone decided to place him on Alexanders march? Was it so we could see Alexander slam him against the wall? Worked for me! Laughing
Adriv

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that`s right!

Was Cassander cute in real life? Wink
Leonnatus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole cast were superb.My main problem with the speaking characters was that Perdikkas had no lines and Darius had barely one
which admittedly was memorable 'envelop him Bessus'. But neither got the treatment that History entitled them to. Cool
apelles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree with that.I,d like to have had more dialogue from Alexander,s companions.My favourite Coenus had to be axed from the movie because poor old Brian Blessed got a hernia at boot camp!He ended up playing the wrestling teacher at Pella,all bent over with a stick,obviously in some discomfort.A shame because nobody does roaring like Brian.You could probably have heard him from the Hydaspes to Pella and back without the microphone. Laughing
rothalion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I like Colin and Jared and the others in the end my favorite as far as how I pictured him was Gary Stretch as Cleitus. To my mind he was a perfect Cleitus. Loved the character.[/img]
PhillAlexandros

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jared Leto - I was incredibly surprised at how well he pulled that role. I have to say that I don't like him with long hair, and according to history, the only reason the Queen mistook Hephaistion for Alexander, is because the two looked alike, and Hephaistion was taller, so she assumed "stature equals power." So I didn't like the long brown hair in Jared. But what counted with him was his performance....the passion was there. I have always believed that for Alexander and Hephaistion it was in the eyes, in that look, in that moment of recognition. And nothing, nothing was better acted than that look in the balcony scene, or the tears on the "wedding night." He put real emotion into Hephaistion's eyes, from Jared I got the point that to Hephaistion, Alexander was everything. Jared blew me away!!!!

Colin Farrell- I loved the look. Yes he was too blond, and if you look into early shootings for the film, his hair is actually better..brown with blond streaks. However....I have to admit..HE LOOKS LIKE ALEXANDER. If you take a statue, the features are not far from Colin's - the chiselled chin, the lion-like hair, rugged masculinity with a touch of innocence. And of course ..the eyes. He is a great actor..but he could have been given more material, better material. I don't think he acted "bloody" enough...he cried too much, but that's not his fault. Alexander shed tears, we all know that, but....BUT he was a ruthless fighter too. I like the Gaugamela scene because it showed the conqueror. I think with Colin, they focused too much of the lover, too much on the "kindness" of Alexander. Still, with that he had, Colin did a tremendous job.

Val Kilmer....just perfect. Although I wish we could see a glimpse of just how great Philip of Macedonia was, instead of just a drunken womanizer. And for that reason, Val's best acting, is his bond with his little son in the caves, with all the mythological heroes. I also loved the "father" in him, the moment when he smiled and said "I missed you."

Angelina...WOW....I suspected she would do great...and she pulled through. I loved the instant look she gave Euridiche as soon as Philip died, that's the Olympias I know!!!!!

Cleitus was perfect!!!!!

The ones I didn't favor...

The guy who played Philotas..was too young!!!!! Philotas was aproximately 30 years old when Alexander set off, and apparently the most good looking man in the army..very ...very ...very VAIN too.

I do miss Coenus.

Craterus....uhmm...I'm iffy about him.

Although I like Jonathan Rhys, Cassander in my mind was not power hungry enough. His true light came only at the end of Alexander's life...in the meantime, he was struttring around like Alexander's friend, when that was not the case at all.
rothalion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jared Leto did a remarkable job as hephaistion! I realize that hist. he probably did not have the long hair but it worked for me in the movie. He was strong yet not afraid or abashed at showing just how devoted and to some degree insecure he was. He feared for and worried over losing Alexander. Losing him to Alexander's dreams, to Roxane and as a result of his own immenent death. The scenes during the wedding to Roxane when Heph. is wandering through the crowd are beautifuly portrayed by Leto and rank along with the balconey and ring scenes as my favorite. For a role with so little dialogue he managed to say so much with only his eyes and body language. For me he was the best actor of the lot. Or better yet gave us his character with the least amount of blatent acting, he was for this movie Hephaistion.
apelles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PhillAlexandros wrote:
Jared Leto - I was incredibly surprised at how well he pulled that role. I have to say that I don't like him with long hair, and according to history, the only reason the Queen mistook Hephaistion for Alexander, is because the two looked alike, and Hephaistion was taller, so she assumed "stature equals power." So I didn't like the long brown hair in Jared. But what counted with him was his performance....the passion was there. I have always believed that for Alexander and Hephaistion it was in the eyes, in that look, in that moment of recognition. And nothing, nothing was better acted than that look in the balcony scene, or the tears on the "wedding night." He put real emotion into Hephaistion's eyes, from Jared I got the point that to Hephaistion, Alexander was everything. Jared blew me away!!!!

I agree.I think Jared did well,considering that he was only given one dimension of the actual Hephaistion to work with...the love,loyalty and empathy with Alexander,s ideals and that he portrayed brilliantly.I,d have liked to see more of the very tough,assertive,commanding man Hephaistion actually was.In the movie we only really see Hephaistion,s character defined as relating to Alexander and I felt that was a bit limiting.Maybe O.S.felt more character development would be confusing,I don,t know.What does anybody else think?

Quote:
The ones I didn't favor...

The guy who played Philotas..was too young!!!!! Philotas was aproximately 30 years old when Alexander set off, and apparently the most good looking man in the army..very ...very ...very VAIN too.

Yes he looked like a choir boy Laughing We needed a real presence for Philotas.Somebody able to project incredible arrogance and power.When you think what a formidable bunch of people the officers were you realise only an incredibly charismatic leader like Alexander could possibly have controlled them.

Quote:
Although I like Jonathan Rhys, Cassander in my mind was not power hungry enough. His true light came only at the end of Alexander's life...in the meantime, he was struttring around like Alexander's friend, when that was not the case at all.

Ask Alexandros 19 what he thinks of the real Cassander! Laughing
ml3al

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin Farrell and Jared Leto were really great. I had forgotten that Colin actually can act because the only place you really see him these days is in the cover of the national enquirer.

But I hated the fact that Hephaestion was mostly like an extra on the back-ground. I imagined him as a much more stronger personality, someone who more drove than supported Alexander to do things.

I was also suprised that in the movie Bagoas didnt have any lines at all because wasnt he a very out-spoken in real life and that was one of the reasons why Alexander was drown to him?
but in the movie he is just Alexanders boy-toy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: