Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introduction - or how I got the bug.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiliarch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Introduction - or how I got the bug. Reply with quote

New film out, epic, just up my street. But with a full time job and five dogs, no time. Then in spring DVD is out. Good; buys it and sees it. Stunned, captivated and just plain bowled over. After seeing it once, decides : Hephaistion is my man.

Then the quest. The quest for the Holy Grail is nothing compared to this. Access to internet limited to working hours, no computer at home. Trawls the net. A site dedicated solely to Hephaistion, YAY ! Recommended books, starts buying. Novels from the library, then buys the good ones and discards the others. Library staff at first incredulous, then interested as others want the same books. Which books to recommend ? "You're the expert, you tell". Library staff gathers around, becoming more and more interested. Soon everone is reading about him.

Then more DVDs are out. Got to get every single piece of extra so buys DVDs from all over.

Letter from the bank. Goes to see manager. "Look, this can't go on". "So many things to buy, vacuum cleaner not working, fridge leaking water, this month has been really bad." Bank manager, cowering under the onslaught, tries a feeble "The bank cannot......" before realizing that he is up against something so much bigger than him. That man is coming between me and my Hephaistion ! Bank manager acknowledging defeat "Just don't....." "Alright." "You do see ?" "Yes, yes, yes." Leaves bank. Now where to get that book by Heckel ?

Only the dissertation is missing. Badgers poor professor. How to get it ? Professor eventually caves in and puts directions on website. Four days later dissertation arrives.

DVD is played at least once a day. Dogs quite calm during battle of Gaugamela despite the noise level. Then battle in India. Elephants trumpeting. Dogs looking and listening, cocking heads like Alexander. "Ride, Macedonians, ride !" Dogs : "Coming, Alexander !" "Attack!" Five, wildly barking, dogs : "Who ? Where ?"

Sometime during the process gets Jared bug as well. More DVDs but, thankfully, no books.

Insistent persons at work "This is urgent." Looks up from computer "So is this." "This has to be dealt with within the next half hour." "Not now, I'm busy." Looks at message board, will have to get this posted.

Vacuum cleaner opts out. Might as well use a straw and suck it up yourself. Better get a new one. Looks at vacuum cleaner. Looks at list of books. Robin Lane Fox. Hmm..... Vacuum cleaner looses.

Doing large screen presentation for 48 people from all over the world. Connects PC to large screen. It actually works ! Picture of Jared and Judas fills large screen. ****, I forgot ! 48 pair of eyes staring at Jared and dog. Keep calm, be Alexander. Staring them down. "Nice dog" someone ventures. Gay colleage, from behind "He's good looking too." Cool as a cucumber : "Yes, that's a nice pic, isn't it ? I so like the colours." Fortunately, everyone knows that I'm a dog lover.

Joins board and groups and meets friendly people all over the world. Bug is a worldwide thing. Worst part is weekends and holidays. Holidays - who needs holidays ? Sunday afternoon. Gets severe withdrawal symptoms. No computer until Monday. How to survive ? Puts on DVD. Feels infinitely better.

Clattering away on keyboard. A knock on the door. "That urgent business....." "Coming.................."
apelles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing What a saga!!It was all too familiar especially the fanatic book buying and neglect of life,s little inessentials like the vacuum.Welcome to Alexanderholics anonymous.
Adriv

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Introduction - or how I got the bug. Reply with quote

Chiliarch wrote:
After seeing it once, decides : Hephaistion is my man.

Hephaestion is my man too Razz
joanna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apelles wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing What a saga!!It was all too familiar especially the fanatic book buying and neglect of life,s little inessentials like the vacuum.Welcome to Alexanderholics anonymous.

Oh, yes, Chiliarch, you are definitely an Alexanderholic Very Happy . Gosh, what a story !
joanna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a Hephaestionholic.....OF COURSE Exclamation
Cymoril

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a story!!!! WELCOME!
Cynisca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Introduction - or how I got the bug. Reply with quote

Chiliarch wrote:

Doing large screen presentation for 48 people from all over the world. Connects PC to large screen. It actually works ! Picture of Jared and Judas fills large screen. ****, I forgot ! 48 pair of eyes staring at Jared and dog. Keep calm, be Alexander. Staring them down. "Nice dog" someone ventures. Gay colleage, from behind "He's good looking too." Cool as a cucumber : "Yes, that's a nice pic, isn't it ? I so like the colours." Fortunately, everyone knows that I'm a dog lover.
"
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Another one with a fridge leaking water and a vacum cleaner that is playing up, add to that the washing machine that is no longer automatic and make squeaky noises and the microwave that sounds strange......and 0101 other things
and I am trawling around book and video shops.....and dreaming of a trip to Pella in ancient costume ... Rolling Eyes
regards
Cynisca
Chiliarch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Introduction - or how I got the bug. Reply with quote

Quote:
Cynisca wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Another one with a fridge leaking water and a vacum cleaner that is playing up, add to that the washing machine that is no longer automatic and make squeaky noises and the microwave that sounds strange......and 0101 other things
and I am trawling around book and video shops.....and dreaming of a trip to Pella in ancient costume ... Rolling Eyes
regards
Cynisca

And I didn't even mention the plumbing Laughing

But you're right - the trip would be just wonderful !
cindoo15

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story chiliarch Laughing

There's a thousand things I've put off in order to watch the film, read, or come to this site - one of my all time worst is that my water got shut off because I didn't get around to paying it (I pay my bills online) - every time I got on the computer I just seemed to end up here and NOT where I'd planned on going! Laughing

Laughing I was just thinking "Gosh, I hope my neighbors didn't notice the guys turning off our water" when I thought, Laughing , I was probably sitting on the computer at this site, completely oblivious to the fact that men were just outside my window shutting it off! Laughing

As a matter of fact, I have some bills sitting on my desk in front of my right now - BUT, am I over on my banks web page??? NOOOO - I'm here as usual.
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cindoo15 wrote:
Great story chiliarch Laughing

There's a thousand things I've put off in order to watch the film, read, or come to this site - one of my all time worst is that my water got shut off because I didn't get around to paying it (I pay my bills online) - every time I got on the computer I just seemed to end up here and NOT where I'd planned on going! Laughing

Laughing I was just thinking "Gosh, I hope my neighbors didn't notice the guys turning off our water" when I thought, Laughing , I was probably sitting on the computer at this site, completely oblivious to the fact that men were just outside my window shutting it off! Laughing

As a matter of fact, I have some bills sitting on my desk in front of my right now - BUT, am I over on my banks web page??? NOOOO - I'm here as usual.

Laughing Laughing Pam, I hope you don't forget to pay your taxes. Wink Laughing
Cynisca

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of water........I had my library book in my wheely case and somehow Alexander managed to have a bath......and spent a day sitting in front of the radiator when I arrived home and found him damp and wrinkled ....Embarassed now I have to explain to the library - it was the Granicus puddle Embarassed
regards
Cynisca
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: