Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Cut of Alexander coming on DVD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiliarch wrote:
Pre-release review of the new DVD from Liz Smith in New York.

"Alexander" would have had a better reception if
Colin Farrell -- who gives it his all -- had played Alexander the
Great with his own dark hair. Colin just couldn't carry off blond."

Well, I agree with that. Smile
Chiliarch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexandros_19 wrote:
Chiliarch wrote:

I don't. I agree with Stone in actually liking Colin better with blond hair.

But what really worries me about this review is the mention of more of just about everything except Hephaistion. The battles, I can live with, but the eunuch and the two ladies I can do without. Why more of them and not more of Hephaistion ?

Oliver Stone - you've got some explaining to do.
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, I was expecting something else about Hephaestion, but we'll see.
Respect to the blond hair, I think Colin with his natural dark hair would have performed a more real Alexander than with the blond wig. I know we've discussed this repeatedly, but where in the world have they seen that Alexander had blond hair, except for that Pella mosaic of the lion hunt where Alexander, Ptolemy and the lion all look alike? Laughing
Chiliarch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wig is awful, I'll admit, but Colin, with his own hair dyed blond as the young Alexander, looks great.

Alejandro, you are a tease. Personally, I prefer the stag hunt mosaic with Hephaistion and his axe.

And, of course, Alexander must be blond - it's in all the movies Laughing
apelles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no,not the hairdressing debate AGAIN!!! Laughing Laughing Well,I'll put in my two pennies worth if it's unavoidable. Laughing I'd have liked to see Colin fair,but not so obviously dyed and bottle blonde.You know,toned down a bit with a few sun streaked highlights.I have to admit he looks wonderful dark but I'm attuned to the fairish Alex.Now Alejandro,we all know that Yanna's hair dye didn't work on you which is a really good thing because you could have gone home looking completely outrageous!
Susanne;thanks for the congrats.A whole bottle is in order as proof of a mis-spent middle age!
If there's not an enormous lot of Hephaestion on view I shall be joining you in your protest.Something that beautiful does not deserve to end up on the cutting room floor. Laughing
siwa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Im happy if there is more of Bagoas and Alexander cause it can be said a lot of things not only sexual but cultural between them.
Hephastion is also important but Oliver has drawn in an unconfortable place. Not as great as Ptolomy as a soldier, not as sensual as Bagoas, not as sexual as Rosario....its in between everything and in nowhere. But i agree that i would like to see also more about him.
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll bite....on this "hairy" situation. Very Happy

Are you talking about the hair extensions that Colin had? Because as far as I know there was no wig used at all. His hair was dyed blonde (I personally had no problem with the way it looked) and the longer hair was done with blonde hair extensions.

And yes, the hair debate never seems to go away with this film. As far as I am concerned it was one of the "minor" points of the film, along with the accents. They only became major focus points because people made them that way.

Dara Smile
apelles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

siwa wrote:
Hello,
Im happy if there is more of Bagoas and Alexander cause it can be said a lot of things not only sexual but cultural between them.
Hephastion is also important but Oliver has drawn in an unconfortable place. Not as great as Ptolomy as a soldier, not as sensual as Bagoas, not as sexual as Rosario....its in between everything and in nowhere. But i agree that i would like to see also more about him.

What an interesting post!The "in between" Hephaestion is a very good point and I think Oliver wanted to emphasise his place as Alexander's soul mate which nobody else could fill.
Why haven't we had a discussion topic on Hephaestion on the forum?
siberian74

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiliarch wrote:
Alexandros_19 wrote:
Chiliarch wrote:

I don't. I agree with Stone in actually liking Colin better with blond hair.

But what really worries me about this review is the mention of more of just about everything except Hephaistion. The battles, I can live with, but the eunuch and the two ladies I can do without. Why more of them and not more of Hephaistion ?

Oliver Stone - you've got some explaining to do.

I agree Sad . It's one of the reasons why I have yet to own a 'Alexander' dvd. I'm hoping for the release of the version, with at least some decent additional Hephaistion's scenes. But seeing this pre-review, I guess I had to hold back my purchase until further notice.

I can't understand why would Stone in a way allow some additional Bagoas scenes, instead of having some with Hephaistion instead, who upon his demise, Alexander built a 7 story high pyre, I can't recall any person (in Alexander's companions) other than Hephaistion whose had such funeral. Obviously he means so much to Alexander. Sad

Oh boy, I guess I had to stick to the Theatrical cut in the end Confused
siwa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody saw that?
http://www.myspace.com/alexanderrevisited
siwa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, i had to say that this link came from the official webpage of the film.
And one more question. Does anybody know anything about the forgotten music in the soundtrack? I love it and i wanted but i dont know if Sony wants to edit or sell it all. Sony made a selection for the soundtrack but there are more music that Vangelis gave them.
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apelles wrote:
Oh no,not the hairdressing debate AGAIN!!! Laughing Laughing Well,I'll put in my two pennies worth if it's unavoidable. Laughing I'd have liked to see Colin fair,but not so obviously dyed and bottle blonde.You know,toned down a bit with a few sun streaked highlights.I have to admit he looks wonderful dark but I'm attuned to the fairish Alex.Now Alejandro,we all know that Yanna's hair dye didn't work on you which is a really good thing because you could have gone home looking completely outrageous!
Susanne;thanks for the congrats.A whole bottle is in order as proof of a mis-spent middle age!
If there's not an enormous lot of Hephaestion on view I shall be joining you in your protest.Something that beautiful does not deserve to end up on the cutting room floor. Laughing

Laughing Laughing
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Alexander Extended Footage Clips from Warner Brothers Reply with quote

I posted these videos on my own site and thought this is something you guys might be interested, maybe or possibly. Then again maybe not. Very Happy

I'm just kidding. I know you all are going to like this.

There is one video that is 28 minutes long, which includes Gaugemela, including Colin's speech made even better by more dialog (I think he nailed the Gaugamela speech in this version). New footage is included. Stone said that this version would be bloodier and Gaugemela certainly is. He delivered on that.

There is also a 16 minute video, as well, which includes Alexander's death scene, the pre-battle conversation with the generals and the camp walk with Hephaistion, all which have new footage.

There are no new scenes, just new footage added to what we have already seen. But, there is some good stuff, here.

Take a look at these two links:

Gaugemela preview from Alexander Revisited DVD-28:31

and

Pre-Gaugemela, death scene and extended camp walk from Alexander Revisited DVD-18:20

Enjoy!

Dara Smile
SPQR5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

the movie looks very good.. it feels diffrent.. almost like a new movie, just by looking at those clips

the gaugamela scene I give 10 out of 10.. cant wait for the hydaspes scene.. cant wait for the movie...well 13 days to go
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look good doesn't it, SPQR5?

Gaugamela does look good. I think the camp walk scenes and the pre-battle scenes are equally good.

Please forgive my spelling of Gaugamela. I always seem to spell that wrong. I spelled it two different ways in my last post. I should have done my spell check first.

Dara Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: