Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

was Alexander the Great the greatest military leader
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cami Te Amo!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you come to Argentina, you can buy a kit of Maradona! Very Happy
marsian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magika wrote:
marsian wrote:
S.A.R
What do these stand for?

Egypt! Ah! The mother of all mysteries! I love it.

Hope to see you in Thessaloniki and in Greece in general some day. You'll probably like it. It's a harbour but nothing like yours! We have tall buildings, but ...NOTHING like the skyscrapers you have there.

Hi Magika, I got bored of looking at skyscrapers everyday already haha...
As for Thessaloniki, did Alexander passed by it on its road to conquest? If it did, what was the Ancient name for Thessaloniki?

I also wanted to know, have you ever been to Alexandria? In the book I'm reading, it talks about how Alexander gave the order to an engineer to built the city Alexandria from the ground up. Is it as prosperous as Alexander hope it will become?
marsian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cami Te Amo! wrote:
If you come to Argentina, you can buy a kit of Maradona! Very Happy

Hi Cami Very Happy

Maradona!!! A great soccer player, although I don't know too much about soccer, but I still remember the "God's Hand", that's what people in Hong Kong call it. Very Happy

Another famous person I know will probably be Evita, I love that movie and its music.

Smile
marsian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Magika,

Thanks for the info, I know Sindos, because it was one of the port that Alexander occupied during his conquest. It sounds like alot of interesting places to visit in Greece. Really look forward to it haha... Very Happy

Regarding your previous question "What does S.A.R stand for?"
S.A.R = Special Administrative Region.

Before 1997, Hong Kong was a colony of Britain, but in 1997, Britain returned Hong Kong to ***. Since we still continue to enjoy what we use to enjoy before 1997 (eg, our own currency, and our own code of law) therefore we were given the title of SAR. (the Chinese was force into signing a 99 years lease of Hong Kong to the British because *** was too weak to go head on with the British at that time -- It happened during the period known as the Qing dynasty, the last emperial period).
Very Happy
Cami Te Amo!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Evita Peron, she was very famous, and still is.
cnm72

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that he earned the name Alexander the Great not just because of military tactics but because of ambition

ambition is what makes one great... and it was his ambition that I admire
cnm72

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

me again Smile

I wanted to add that for his time, Alexander was unquestionably unbeatable... but to put him against others of other generations might be a bit unfair as far as advancements are concerned (weapons/armor etc.)
tigresa1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Alexander vs. Mongols (Particularly Ghengis Kahn) Reply with quote

Quote:
Tigre Hi

Interesting to read your point can i ask if your a female.

Yes I am but I don't know what that has to do with my point.

The point is that at the time to Mongols began their invasions as a unified front they were unstoppable because their tactics were so different, vicious, straight-forward, and just plain hard for conventional armies to defend against.

Could Alexander's tactics have stood up against Ghengis' tactics?

We are of course talking about very different cultures. The advanced cavalry skills of Ghengis' tactics may have been overwhelming for Alexander's armies. Numbers were not an issue for the Mongols, normally they were outnumbered anywhere from 10 or 100 to 1 in any given battle. So Alexander's large numbers may not have been a helpful factor.
Salonika

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well both of these great tacticians used what was necessary at there own time, but i think that the mongols always outnumbered other armies, and going straight-forward isn't much of a tactician, Temujin had also cavalry archers, but for Alexander numbers didn't bother him, in the case with Darius he also had large amounts of cavalry in the battle of Issus and Gaugamela, and it isn't wise for cavalry to go straight forwrd into pikes (phalanx), if you have seen braveheart the movie that is what will happen to a straight forward attack to cavalry against pikes . But both were unique in there own way.
dieselsx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Alexander as genius Reply with quote

Well I would say that he would have stood a chance agianst the mongols they werent invincible. remember the samurai which were hugely outnumbered kicked there butts back into the ocean never to return, they fought on the beach so there is no reason why the macedonians couldnt have done the same, especially the spartans. The roman army at the time of the invasion was at its lowest, overstretched and demoralised so you have to take this into account.
pinelopi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always questioned myself why the Persians did not try to change their war tactic to better one the time they saw that Greek phalanx was undefeatable. They had the time (from Marathon times!), they had the money, they had the people and could easily find the teachers to do so. They continued to try to defeat Alexander who had the best infantry ever, by using their traditional ways of war. Why was this happening?
Vasilios

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the genius of Alexnader, the Persians had that mental midget as King, you know Darius the baby. They break through, and close up on Darius, he runs as usual, the line breaks, dismay, they get trampled and swallowed in, the rest of course is history.
Jebbu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a part of Alexander being a great Military is leader due to how he never seemed afraid to fight in the front row side by side with his soldiers or to be first up the ladder wich obviosly sent enormous strengths of moral through his army, The fact that he never seemed to order a soldier to do something that he wasn't game enough to do himself would have earnt complete respect from his men, making them keener to fight, As opposed to sitting at the back of a battle in a Golden Charriot.

However I think the Mongols would of given him a fair bit of curry not only because of thier exeptional tallents of horse ridding but because of the manner in which they used thier Archers. The Mongols used arrows that were a lot longer than normal and much heavier, this gave them a lot more punch and follow through enabelling them to pierce through most kinds of armour and become inbedded deeply into it's meaty target.Thier archers were by far supearior to any other, so they used great masses of archers which sent huge continuous clouds of arrows smashing everything in it's way. It would be interesting to see how Alexander would have handled these guys, I'm sure he would have learnt a few things and maybe even changed a few of his tactics?
tani

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I absolutely agree that Alexander was undoubtely courageus when fighting, I also have to say that he often run unnecessary risks. He was severely wounded three times. In the case of his death in battle the Macedonians would have been deprived of leadership and thus they would have been wipped out by the sheer scale of the distances to travel and the great number of native satraps loyal only to the charisma of Alexander. Militarily wise, Alexander was a genius with an unequalled view of the battle field. Nothing defied him; no challenge was too small for a man with such great ambition. Yet that same ambition could have - ney, it would have turned sour if he were to be faced with a more formidable enemy or army.
I know that were I to say that if Alexander would have faced a Roman commander he would have probably lost, some people's eyebrows would be imediately raised. The eyebrows would be even more raised if I were to say that if Alexander faced Tiberius Caesar, he would have probably been defeated. To back my case: Tiberius - with all his vices and moods - was maybe the most cautious general to command a Roman army. He prefered diplomacy to outright conflict; he was strict, though not nearly as couragious as Alexander but thats besides the point for courage is not being discused here. Plus, to be honest, the human resources of the Romans would have surely exhausted even the most formidable foe - namely Alexander.
dynamo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongols used the somthing circle method of horse back archery. When they went round and round in circles and aimed at a certain point of the enemy formation. Bit like a machine gun really, constant, heavy, concentrated fire.

Did the mongols use bodkin or broad head arrows??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: