Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DIRECTOR'S CUT MISUNDERSTANDING.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: DIRECTOR'S CUT MISUNDERSTANDING. Reply with quote

There is a funny misunderstanding about the Director's Cut. It appears to be a retracting from Oliver Stone as a respond to the American bad reviews, and this is not accurate at all. The fact is, it would be extremely expensive and stressing hold on the film much longer in order to depurate better the editing, so that's why it was released in November, 2004. The second cut, five months later is just a closer approach Stone had with the sense and tensions in the story telling, going deeper on Alexander backgounds and so, and the "final" cut is a liberty Stone had to go back to the film thanks to the very well receive the film had even on video (besides of the fake press and the so-called commertial failure.)

There was no taking back there, in any way.

By the way: I will kidly remind ladies and gentlemen that Alexander, far from being a commercial failure, was very well recieved internationally, the most succesfully theatical release in 39 (!) countries , and the biggest premiere in several counties, beating genre films like Gladiator and Troy!
I'm not of course talking about the money, but the interest the film raised.

It was only in U.S. didn't work for audiences, and that was mostly because of the very well planned discrediting campaign against the film, due to the controversial backgrounds of Oliver Stone's films, and specially the Fidel Castro's documentaries.

Many people don't like what those films says in U.S., and Alexander, due to the suttliness, the treatment of the subject, the difficulty of telling that particular story, and the extremely high budget, became an "easy target" in a way. A perfect "Turkish head" as they say.

But the bad reviews were in a high proportion a charade, staged. Obviously it was indeed a confusing film to many people, it's not an action film. Some critics that obviosly didn't got it, but that were serious people, dealed with the film respectfully, at least. And some other boobs, specially in my Country, naively gave strength to the wave without knowing what was really happening.

I just wanted to emphazise that.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great point!

I always thought the criticism on Alexander was... well, fishy. There was something off. It's true; we can't all like the same type of films, and that's fine... but that's exactly why I was suspicious, you see; we can't all be annoyed by the same things, either.

And yet the critics (ALL of them) didn't get much further than commenting on the length of the film (Pirates of the Caribbean is really long, too...), Angelina's age compared to Colin's (Heath Ledger ages 30 years in Brokeback Mountain and I don't hear anyone complaining about that...), Colin's hair (no sensible, professional critic would base their opinion on a film on a hairdo) or the accents. Or ofcourse "It's too gay" (then what about Brokeback Mountain?).

It never seemed like professional, sufficient criticism to me; more like sheep behaviour.

I really do believe that there is something off about the criticism... I mean, who else would come up with the lame argument "It's too gay"/"Colin's hair sucked" than a critic who was FORCED to stess negative points about a film?
RC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nell, I can't tell you about the people I asked on the street about ALEXANDER that said to me things like: "Oh, very interesting story", "that's a historical plot, very nice", "Beautiful film", etc. and I'm not talking about Film or Art or History experts.

Of course there was also the group of people in the sort of "Why so gay", "Too long", "lack of action", etc. But as I say it raised a lot of interest, and a film like this is not made it to take the easy way with audiences.
The Discovery channel started a campaign about the subject with documentaries and so, in the same way they did it on GLADIATOR, and we know they are not and advertising agency.

Personally I didn't know how old was Angelina Jolie, but I never imagined she was on his 20's, she looks so older, mature I mean, she was perfect, but I go back, those things are easy to target to put people thinking about that and dilure attention. Colin Farrell matchs perfectly as a 19 year old boy or as a 29 year old guy, he has both the naivness and maturity on his presence.
Everybody complained about the lenght and continuity of The Lord of The Rings; but I presume, didn't failed in the box office (not that I'm blown away with that film at all).

Obvilously in an epic film many people doesn't find amusing to have a leading role as a bisexual, but many people even with those kind of prejudices saw it in the historical context and received, at least tried, I realised that too.

Quote:
I always thought the criticism on Alexander was... well, fishy. There was something off. It's true; we can't all like the same type of films, and that's fine... but that's exactly why I was suspicious, you see;

I read something as nonsensical as: "Colin Farrel was disguised like he was on Saturday Night Live, his costume and hair was a parody."

In the name on the whole gods, the costume was accomplished by Jenny Beavan, the exquisit costume designer of "Sense and Sensibility", "Casanova", "Gosford Park", "Tea with Mussolini" and a huge, dazzling ETC. Is this a coincidence? Hell no.

If that kind of opinions are not buy it and pre determined, I am Henry VIII. And we all know that the ridiculous "Razzy awards" prices both, the most obvious bad films such as stupid comedies and Van Damme films, along with real art films like EYES WIDE SHUT, because simply they don't see the difference. And no mention they can be twisted, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH!, just one more litlle last thing: These people were perfectly aware that if they bury ALEXANDER in the box office, in having that huge budget, and being financed independently outside U.S. (Specially with German investment through INTERMEDIA FILM, CONSTANTIN FILME, etc.) would be probably the dead of Oliver Stone, producer Moritz Borman and the rest of the producers, hopfully Intermedia films, and that was the real target, kindly mark my words.
joanna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But since there are people like us who love ALEXANDER,
Oliver Stone and the rest of the people who took part in the making of this film will live and reign for ever!
Catherine X

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this campaign against Alexander had the opposite effect. Because of all the fuss, more people saw it than probably would have done if there hadn't been so much controversy. If these people who wanted to discredit Oliver Stone and Alexander, they would have been better off totally ignoring the release. So their plan was completely wrong. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: