Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greetings...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnm72

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Greetings... Reply with quote

So nice to have found this message board... I recently was working on a project regarding Alchemy and the research involved to took me to ancient Alexandria and then I delved deeply into the history of Alexander the Great...

I am a wee bit of a geek so bear with me Wink

I am looking forward to great conversations

Smile
cnm72

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey there Magika... Smile

well.... to make a long story short... I work in entertainment/media and I am the conceptual developer for a large theme event and the theme that year (last year actually) was Alchemy... people really go all out for the event, dressing the part and such... and we as the production company go all out to make the venue replica to whatever the theme is, etc...

so... as we know the Alchemy was the mother of modern science (among other things) and we know that a great mecca for such interests in ancient times was Alexandria with its great libraries and schools... it was a meeting place for scholars/philosophers/magi etc... unfortunately a fire ravaged one of its main libraries and a great deal of precious scrolls of information was lost to man...

I can only imagine what it would have been like to be there at its peak... if I had a time machine that would be undoubtedly one of the places that I would visit...

I think there was a lighthouse built on its shores that was considered one of the 7 seven wonders of the world... apologies if I am mixing my info and am not correct... but if so, is it still there?
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cnm72 wrote:
I think there was a lighthouse built on its shores that was considered one of the 7 seven wonders of the world... apologies if I am mixing my info and am not correct... but if so, is it still there?
The lighthouse of Alexandria was indeed one of the seven ancient wonder's of the world and was the last to disappear. Today, the Great Pyramid of Giza is the only remaining wonder left standing.

For those interested the wonders were:
The Great Pyramid of Giza
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
The Statue of Zeus at Olympia
The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus
The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus
The Colossus of Rhodes
The Lighthouse of Alexandria
cnm72

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Kevin... Smile

thanx for the info... do we know whatever happened to it?
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was destroyed by earthquakes in the 14th Century AD.

A quick search on Google came up with http://ce.eng.usf.edu/pharos/wonders/pharos.html
cnm72

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least it was destroyed by the earth and not by man...
cnm72

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good question Magika...

I found this link - http://www.***.uk/library.htm

on a side note just last year...

------------------

40 hurt in Alexandria library fire, books safe

CAIRO, March 2, 2003: A fire on Sunday in the newly-built Alexandria library left nearly 40 people hurt, two of them critically burnt and the rest suffering from smoke inhalation, Egyptian police in the Mediterranean city said.

The section containing historical books and documents was safe, as well as the antiquities museum, the planetarium, science museum and exhibition hall, the official news agency MENA reported.

The fire caused by a short circuit broke out at around 11:00 am on the library's fourth floor, which is used by the management, a police official told AFP.

The blaze was put out less than half an hour later thanks to its much vaunted fireproofing systems, backed later by the library's own firefighters, he said.

Nearly 40 people were rushed to hospital, two of them for critical burns and the others for inhaling smoke, he said.

journalist Ali Barudi who visited the scene told AFP the wounded were members of staff.

The alarm system worked and, despite the panic, visitors exited the building before the smoke started to spread through the air conditioning system, Barudi said.

Library director Ismail Serageddin ordered an investigation, said MENA.

On the day of its inauguration, October 16, designers said they equipped the library with the best in 21st century fireproofing to prevent it suffering the same fate as its predecessors.

World leaders attended the grand opening of the 225-million-dollar library built largely with foreign financial aid, to reflect the spirit of ancient Bibliotheca Alexandria that itself was destroyed by a blaze 1,600 years ago.

The vast steel, glass and concrete library that has 240,000 volumes on the shelves looks like a solar disc tilting toward the sea.

The legendary place of learning suffered several fires, one during Julius Caesar's siege of Alexandria in 48 BC, before the first major public reading place in history was finally burnt down.

Austrian-born architect Christoph Kapeller, co-designer of the library with Norwegian firm Snohetta, has said that in addition to sprinklers and other firefighting equipment, fire-proofing materials were integrated into the design.-AFP

------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: