Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fan fiction?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catherine X

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Fan fiction? Reply with quote

Hi all

Just a quick question. What is this 'fan fiction' or 'slash fiction'? I have read that it is people writing fiction usually about 2 male characters [from films/ books] having some kind of relationship. I think all this Alexander stuff has led me astray into this type of thing [JOKE Laughing]. Does anyone else read this fan fiction/ whatever?

Sorry I'm hardly ever here now, I do miss the old glory days when Alexander had just come out [so to speak! Laughing]
apelles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Catherine, nice to know you're still o.k.
I'm no expert on fanfic or slash but yes I read Brokeback fanfic. I strayed into it as well, mainly because many of us Brokies simply couldn't bear the finality of the ending and this was a way of fixing something people couldn't stand. Some of it is fantastically well written and some of it is utter rubbish. Laughing It ranges from massive long stories in episodes to short "one shots" and challenges where writers take on the task of writing on a particular incident or theme. Some of those are outstanding.
Most of it can be found on Live Journal or fanfic.com or sites dedicated to a particular film/series etc. I'm surprised this site didn't actually generate it's own slash department.
I got a little more involved by linking my artwork to other people's creative writing and poetry, which has worked well and been very interesting.
Yes I agree, we had a lot of fun here when the film first came out. I think also that the friendships forged here have lasted. Do you know Yanna is over here at university and we see each other often? So much good came out of the forum. I certainly learned a vast amount and enjoyed it all.
Good to hear from you.
Janie
Catherine X

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Janie!

Good to hear from you too. Imiss the old days of the Alexandrian gang. Are you in touch with Pam? I sent an email to her but didn't get a reply so maybe an old address.

Yes, it is odd that Alexander didn't start any of this slash stuff. I should have written some, but I suppose 'my head wasn't in the right place' as they say Laughing I've written some about my favourite soap characters Embarassed, they said it was good.

I'll write more another time, I've got to go now, hubby's home XX
Catherine X

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this, if its of any interest. Didn't have time to read anyof it tho Rolling Eyes

http://www.fanfiction.net/movie/Alexander/
Cynisca

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only fan fiction I used to read a lot of, was about some Elves from Lord of the Rings...and sometmes Aragon Embarassed
I posted a link to an online Alexander comic book fan fiction thingy a while back....
I pulled out of a few film or actor forums, because they all degenerated into posts of steamy-slash fan fiction and not much else, even when the film was concerned with a historical figure who could be discussed.
I hope that doesn't happen here.... Shocked
A fan fiction thread probably wouldn't hurt, (if Kevin agrees), but please don't drop the discussions on the historical and factual Alexander, Hephaestion, Ptolemy (being our latest drool Wink) etc and events/archaelogical finds that are connected to them....they are few and far between as it is, at the moment
x
LEONIDAS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Good old Days Reply with quote

greetings from leonidas I am still here . I have not posted to the site in a while. But I do come in everyday to check to see whats new? Some of the old timers are still here but it isnt what it use to be is it?Does anyone know why the pms where taken off? Anyhow I hope everyone is fine. and joanna your always on my mind .
Cynisca

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Good old Days Reply with quote

LEONIDAS wrote:
greetings from leonidas I am still here . I have not posted to the site in a while. But I do come in everyday to check to see whats new? Some of the old timers are still here but it isnt what it use to be is it?Does anyone know why the pms where taken off? Anyhow I hope everyone is fine. and joanna your always on my mind .

Xaire Leonidas,
how are you....?
i've just posted an answer to Nell about the PM's. I received one that was spam and suspect that is the reason Kevin has disabled them.
Catherine X

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I've realised I'm not that interested in the steamy stuff. I prefer the actual writing. But at least I now know what people are talking about when they talk about slash/ fan fiction/ whatever Very Happy
apelles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I haven't been here for an age but I'm just posting to say "hello". Leonidas, good to hear you're still around. Very Happy It seems very deserted these days.
Janie
Catherine X

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Janie, I know what you mean. I wish I'd got people's email addresses now- its hard to find other people who have the same interests as me i.e. Alexander, Brokeback Mountain etc, if you know what I mean Smile Anyway, I've updated my profile Wink
apelles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good. I'll mail you with Pam's address. I'm not sure if you have it.
Janie.
Catherine X

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Janie. I must say, I've always liked your name Apelles, does it mean anything or is it just made up?
joanna

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apelles was the fortunate painter to have met and painted Alexander.
Cynisca

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanna wrote:
Apelles was the fortunate painter to have met and painted Alexander.

You forgot to mention - Alexander also gave his first love, Pancaste/Campaspe's hand to Apelles, after he discovered he had fallen in love with her.
Apelles was a great artist of the time, but unfortunately none of his work has survived, or at least, in it's original form.
He painted Alexander many times, Antiginous and Clitus the Black
A mural from Pompeii depicting Aphrodite, thought to be copied from an original by Apelles, the model was probably Pancaste....http://en.***/wiki/Image:Abt.jpg
Maybe in a hidden vault, yet to be discovered, is one of those long lost paintings of Alexander....!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: