Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Temple of Serapis at York and link to King Arthur?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cynisca

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Temple of Serapis at York and link to King Arthur? Reply with quote

The Temple of Serapis, was mentioned during the talk by Dr Joann Fletcher, that I attended last Saturday. I was fascinated to know that Serapis, who (as you will probably know) was a hybrid Hellenic-Egyptian God 'created' by Ptolemy I Soter, was also worshipped in my beloved anicent city of York.
What is also fascinating, is that the commeration stone found for the temple was dedicated by Legio VI Victrix, the Legion that Lucius Artorius Castus (aka 'King Arthur') spent some time with as a Cavalry Commander, along with the Sarmatian knights (whose home base was in Lancashire) in the late 2nd century ce. (approximate dating for the dedication stone is late 2nd to early 3rd)
Something else I hadn't thought about, L. Artorius Castus had previously been with the Legio V Macedonia, based in Thrace..!
Strange to realise there are other links between those two famous cavalry commanders I have always admired, whose names start with A...!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: