Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alexandet the great.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninjagrenen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Alexandet the great. Reply with quote

Hey.

Why do you guys think Alexander manage to conqur that much land?
I have to write an assignment about it. So i were thinking what factores made him win the war?

Propaganda?
Best tactic?
Best army?
Luck?
Cynisca

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Alexandet the great. Reply with quote

Hi Ninjagrenen,

A mixture of all, but I think a good army and good tactics along with a lot of guts and determination to realise his dreams, made him (and his army)the greatest of it's time...!
Alexander used foresight in battle, he thought about the placing of his men for the best advantage and yet always rode in with his companions to engage the enemy (sometimes alone...!)
He also showed more fairness and justice to others, than was usual at the time, although if needed, he was not afraid to make a point by destroying a town and enslaving the inhabitants, even if it may have been distasteful to him.
I think what happened with the army in India was a mixture of being away from home and family for a long period, fatigue/exhaustion, especially for the vetrans, some of whom were getting on and the monsoons and climate, as well as the other factors.

Ninjagrenen wrote:
Hey.

I have to write an assignment about it. So i were thinking what factores made him win the war?

Propaganda?
Best tactic?
Best army?
Luck?
philalexandros

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on Cynisca! without a doubt a mixture of all. Alexander was a visionary well ahead of others his time, and all these factors can be incorporated to explain his success. Propaganda though should not be overlooked and is without doubt a predominant factor in Alexander's success, he knew how to gain his men's affections and inspire loyalty in others..He was always looking to 'be ever the best' and was very competitive by nature.
joanna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe the decision not to go on in India has to do with fatigue, rebellion of his army, extreme weather conditions etc. This is really a mystery. I'm afraid that we will never learn the real reasons.
Cynisca

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanna wrote:
I don't believe the decision not to go on in India has to do with fatigue, rebellion of his army, extreme weather conditions etc. This is really a mystery. I'm afraid that we will never learn the real reasons.

Not unless we find contemporary evidence or proof..or somebody manages to regress one or more descendants of his men back through the ancestral memory and their independent accounts tally. The Kalash may give some interesting ancestral memory results, if they are indeed the descendants of Alexander's men, but I don't know if their beliefs would allow for this...?
I still feel it was a mixture of things in India, more to do with taking stock of the state of his men than his own wishes. Advice from Hephaestion maybe?
joanna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe his men did that to him. They loved him because he made them proud of themselves (no, I'm not Hephaestion Rolling Eyes ...)
Cynisca

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanna wrote:
I don't believe his men did that to him. They loved him because he made them proud of themselves (no, I'm not Hephaestion Rolling Eyes ...)

It doesn't matter how much you love or admire somebody....they can still sometimes drive you to exasperation, especially if you are tired, worn out or upset...and I am sure Alexandros could be very exasperating at times as well as loveable Wink Wink
Adriv

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Alexandet the great. Reply with quote

Ninjagrenen wrote:
Hey.

Propaganda?
Best tactic?
Best army?
Luck?

All of the above?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: