Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Goodnight, Gracie"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: "Goodnight, Gracie" Reply with quote

I must have been hiding under a rock somewhere because I just found out about this movie a few days ago. It was probably that rock called work, or grad school, take a pick. Either one would work.

Anyway, I have such a deep admiration and love for Alexander that I am completely torn about this movie. On the one hand, he will finally get the exposure that such a person deserves, but on the other hand it may not be the most accurate picture of his life. I will see it regardless; I just hope Stone knows enough about his military strategy to make effective use of it. (wouldn't it be cool to see in live action how Alexander outsmarted the elephant brigade??)

I guess I am considered a classically trained Historian and Archaeologist (more Historian), which only means that I know enough about primary and secondary sources to be dangerous and enough about language to be confusing or confused. My primary occupation, however, is devoted to teaching English Language Learners, especially newcomers to the US. (this will either make me wildly popular or unpopular, there seems to be no in between on this matter)

So this is probably more information than you ever wanted to know about a stranger on a chat forum, but I was just saying "hello" or "goodnight."

And a big thanks to our site master, Kevin, for creating a space where people with mutual passions can exchange ideas.
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "Goodnight, Gracie" Reply with quote

Alexia wrote:
And a big thanks to our site master, Kevin, for creating a space where people with mutual passions can exchange ideas.
You're welcome Smile, although I must admit that looking over some of the topics of conversation, I sometimes wonder whether it was a good idea Rolling Eyes
cnm72

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: "Goodnight, Gracie" Reply with quote

Alexia wrote:
wouldn't it be cool to see in live action how Alexander outsmarted the elephant brigade

hey there Alexia... welcome to the board... Smile

I am also looking forward to seeing the action sequences... not for the gratuitous aspect but just to see how it was (or we think) he did the tings he is credited with...

with your knowledge as a historian and archaeologist, I am sure that you can add some valued insight to such an intriguing point in history

see your around... Very Happy
Alexia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
What are considered primary and secondary sources?[/quote]

Secondary sources are sources written AFTER the time they discuss. Primary sources are sources written DURING the time they discuss. Technically, there are no true primary sources on Alexander. Arrian is considered (by me and others) to be the best source because he is closest to Alexander's time and used diaries no longer available to us (Ptolemy, Nearchus, Callisthenes) and does a decent job of being fair, although he does clean up the picture (the drinking and partying especially). He also points out where the sources vary and tries to to reconcile the truth between them.
It is also important to remember that Historians in general only consider written records, not archaeological or literary evidence. Afterall, History is "written records," which is why Western Civilization begins with the Tigris and Euphrates.
Alexia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "Goodnight, Gracie" Reply with quote

cnm72 wrote:

hey there Alexia... welcome to the board... Smile

thanks. Say, that isn't superman metropolis, is it?

Hey Kevin,
Don't swet it. It's better than us being in a room together shouting it out. At least here we have to take turns. What you're doing is a good thing. Maybe some people will be influenced positively.

And Magicka...
You're quite welcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: