Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Was really Alexander homosexual?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnm72

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexia wrote:

I would truly mourn for my best friend, but I wouldn't try to deify her.

devils advocate - Very Happy

is this to imply that such things would only happen between lovers?

hmmmm... perhaps if you were Alexander the Great you would have... it was a different time and he was a man of great power & passion...

we are talking about the man who named a city after his horse... Wink
Alexia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cnm72 wrote:

devils advocate - Very Happy

I do my best. Laughing

cnm72 wrote:

is this to imply that such things would only happen between lovers?

hmmmm... perhaps if you were Alexander the Great you would have... it was a different time and he was a man of great power & passion...

we are talking about the man who named a city after his horse... Wink

It really is hard to talk about the nature of love. But yes, I believe that Alexander's reaction to Hephaestion is because of his very deep love for him. At this point, they were probably not lovers on a regular basis anymore, but they definately loved each other. Afterall, Alexander had his Persian Boy at this point, or so the rumor goes (and highly amusing book by Mary Renault....a woman who always checked her sources and one of the few you can trust with a historical novel). Alexander would not have reacted this way to the death of any of his other companions, who were like brothers to him.

I can't really say what I would have done if I were Alexander the great. Mourn my best friend?, yes. Deify her? definately not. (which has now become our running joke b/c she, like me, is a Hellenophile). I would have had a very different reaction to the person I loved most in the world.

You know, I love the fact that Alexander named a city after his horse. It's so apropo. You'll notice who he did not name cites after: his mother, his father, his wife. So, Alexander truly loved three things: Hephaestion, Bucephelos, and himself.

If nothing else, you have to admire a man who knew what he wanted and prized his horse. At least he didn't try to deify the horse. Smile
herod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new to this board and feel I have to put my two cents in on this topic that I am sure you are all bored with by now.
To say that Alexander was gay or straight is to put him in modern terms and therefore approach the topic in a misguided way.
Alexander was a man of his time, which meant he could have a physical relationship with another man. This was not a bad thing in antiquity. I am sure if Alexander were alive he would not have the slightest inkling as to why his sexual choices arouse any interest or debate.
As to the film's portrayal, do we even know for sure whether a relationship we would call homosexual will be portrayed? To be practical, would you attempt to market what is basically a "war movie" with a gay subtext? I ceartainly wouldn't, particularly not with a budget of this size to be made back.
Finally, none of us will ever know what went on in Alexander's bedroll. That is why history is exciting and maddening, we all get to imagine what really went on. I think it is small minded to become angry over another person's imaginings. We all need to have fun with this and if we don't like Oliver Stone's interpretations, we ought to grab a video camera and start shooting.
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

herod wrote:
We all need to have fun with this and if we don't like Oliver Stone's interpretations, we ought to grab a video camera and start shooting.
welcome to the board and well said Wink
dieselsx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: So What! Reply with quote

So what if he was a gay boy, as he was
why do people try to use todays standards to try and mould someone into something more acceptable when that person lived thousands of years ago and worshipped something entirely different from what you know and understand, Get over it, he was gay or at least Bi

where talking about a society that looked at homosexuality totally differently as from today, maybe were just more backward today even though we are thousands of years forward in time?
meshuggahruls

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: little **** Reply with quote

wow
ppl are gay its such a surprise lets burn them at the stake. like every single **** lil christian raised prejudce ****.
i personally am bored as always so im writing a reply to this **** subject. so homophobics enjoy your day, homosexuals enjoy your day and heterosexual people enjoy your day
lots of love and kisses from your bisexual friend
cal Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Razz Razz
dynamo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets face it. With modern society they could not really show the true relationship between Alexander and Hespheastion as Farrell would probably not do it and there are (as shown in this forum) discrepinces on whether he really was gay.

I personnaly think that it is safe to say that He was *** but only had the one male lover. At that period of history it was not a normal practise to be homosexual but it was not frowned upon as it is now. It was accepted and many cultures and races or sects attempted to cultivate it such as the Spartans and the Thebans to increase the feeling of comaradery in the armed forces which would argueably be a very good reason.
meshuggahruls

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
blalallallalalallbbfdbfbbA;;AL;ASKJNFJ
BYE
dynamo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always nice to know that there are some people who can come up with intelligent replies. ANy reason for your juvenile and utterly pointless comment or are you just wasting my time??
Alexia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynamo wrote:

I personnaly think that it is safe to say that He was *** but only had the one male lover.

So what do you think of the rumors about Bogias, the Persian boy?
Katalin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alexia!
Please tell me if there is any historical evidence about the Bagoas and Alexander affair.I have just recently read about it in Manfredis book and by Mary Renaut. But isnt it just imagination?
I always read with great interest all your comments and I relly would like to know your opinion,
Thanks
Katalin
meshuggahruls

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: wow Reply with quote

yay im juvenile , any chance of it being lenghtened with a delinquint? hahah lol well .absolutly no reason for my reply. you may have realize that i say stupid meaningless things at strange and meaningless times.
so no, no reason for it . i did it to break boredom if there is a reason.
well
have
fun
love from
your always sexy bitch
cal
Very Happy Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Vecchiolarry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Sexy Reply with quote

Hi Callie,
You may be sexy, but not a 'bitch'...... A bitch is a cruel, self centred person and you're not............. Wink
You may be bitchy, but that's a whole different kettle of fish. We're all bitchy from time to time, but we're not bitches!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad
Love ya,
Larry
Tino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Us Canadians, we're so NICE! LOL
Vecchiolarry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Overly Polite Canadians Reply with quote

Hi Tino,
Yes, we are nice for the most part.
I was recently in New York City and everyone there said that I said "Thank You" too much. Embarassed
One taxi cab driver wondered if I was a "Prince"!!!!!! Surprised
And, the concierge at the Drake Hotel said I was much too 'high class'.. Laughing I asked questions too politely and didn't demand anything rudely like they were used to....... Twisted Evil
Larry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: