Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Named my horses after Alexander

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colins_mom

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Named my horses after Alexander Reply with quote

Wow, sorry I've been absent from this list for a long time! Just thought I'd stop by and mention that I just had another black foal born this month with a white star and I named him Xander after our favorite man in history! He looks like Bucephalus so the name is fitting for him. I also have a filly who has same coloring who I call Lexi as a reference to Alexander as well. Cool
joanna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Named my horses after Alexander Reply with quote

Colins_mom wrote:
Wow, sorry I've been absent from this list for a long time! Just thought I'd stop by and mention that I just had another black foal born this month with a white star and I named him Xander after our favorite man in history! He looks like Bucephalus so the name is fitting for him. I also have a filly who has same coloring who I call Lexi as a reference to Alexander as well. Cool

If I had a horse (you're so lucky to have one) with the description you've just given which obviously resembles the Great horse, I would name it no less than BUCEPHALUS.

Can you post some pics with your horses. I'd really like to see them.
Colins_mom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wanted to name the filly Bucephala, but for an American Quarter Horse it didn't sound right on her pedigree. The new colt I thought about it but it's a hard name to call them by all the time when you are talking to them. So I settled for these references to the man and his great horse Very Happy Although the name has been used for a Quarter Horse in the past.
I actually have 4 horses now that resemble my favorite horse in history. They are all solid black with stars on their heads. 3 are girls though and now I have the male, Xander. Here are pictures on my site:
See Xander at the bottom of this page:
http://www.qlfarm.com/qlhome/08foals.html
Here's Lexi's page:
http://www.qlfarm.com/qlhome/lexi.html
And here is a recent picture of Lexi:
joanna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colins_mom wrote:
Well, I wanted to name the filly Bucephala, but for an American Quarter Horse it didn't sound right on her pedigree. The new colt I thought about it but it's a hard name to call them by all the time when you are talking to them. So I settled for these references to the man and his great horse Very Happy Although the name has been used for a Quarter Horse in the past.
I actually have 4 horses now that resemble my favorite horse in history. They are all solid black with stars on their heads. 3 are girls though and now I have the male, Xander. Here are pictures on my site:
See Xander at the bottom of this page:
http://www.qlfarm.com/qlhome/08foals.html
Here's Lexi's page:
http://www.qlfarm.com/qlhome/lexi.html
And here is a recent picture of Lexi:

I can't see the horses. Please, send me an email with their pics, if you can. I love horses, imagine yours that resemble the great horse.
Well, is Bucephalus a hard name everytime you want to call a horse? Come on I have heard longer and more complicated names given to horses. I believe the longer name, the more noble it is.
On second thought you could have name the horse Bucephalus and call him Ceph for short. It's not bad, is it? Very Happy
Colins_mom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh darn, my site is down today! Mad
It should be back up later and then check it. I don't have my photos handy or I'd email them right now to you. In the mean time this page of Xander's mom should show:http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/k/a/kah19/melody.htm
She is also black with white star Very Happy
About names, there are pedigree names and the barn names, or their nicknames...much easier to say when you are talking to an animal that recognizes 1-2 syllables easier than 4 syllables. Not to say that wouldn't learn it though! And also people would probably give me funny looks if I named an American Quarter Horse that Rolling Eyes
joanna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colins_mom wrote:
Oh darn, my site is down today! Mad
It should be back up later and then check it. I don't have my photos handy or I'd email them right now to you. In the mean time this page of Xander's mom should show:http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/k/a/kah19/melody.htm
She is also black with white star Very Happy
About names, there are pedigree names and the barn names, or their nicknames...much easier to say when you are talking to an animal that recognizes 1-2 syllables easier than 4 syllables. Not to say that wouldn't learn it though! And also people would probably give me funny looks if I named an American Quarter Horse that Rolling Eyes

Now I can see your horses. They are so beautiful! What a lucky person you are to have these lovely horses.
I went to the National Gallery in London the other day and I saw a painting with a horse named 'Whistlejacket' by George Stubbs. It's like an Arab horse. What kind of name is that, do you know? The horse is a beauty. I made a drawing of it. Can I make a drawing of your horses? Tell me.
Colins_mom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. They are wonderful but they are a lot of work, but it's rewarding. The other day Lexi was having a bout of colic and we had to walk her for at least an hour and gave her medicine. Good thing we we were there to help her out of it. I love my Lexi!

Whistlejacket, that's an interesting name. I don't believe I've ever heard of it before.

I would be honored if you wanted to do drawings of my horses! Very Happy
If you do I would enjoy seeing them.
joanna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Colins_mom

Now I have time and I'll try to do some drawings of your horses. You can send me some more of their photos ( you can email me) , so I have more than one to choose from. They are so beautiful. Lucky you!
Colins_mom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joanna,
I would love it if you drew pictures of my horses! Very Happy Cool
I need to get new ones of Xander since he has grown but...
If you go to these pages you can see photos of Xander:
http://www.qlfarm.com/qlhome/xander.html
Lexi: http://www.qlfarm.com/qlhome/lexi.html
joanna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll try to do my best to draw your horses Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: