Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Colin's Alexander and Irish myth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Colin Farrell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savanna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Colin's Alexander and Irish myth Reply with quote

I've been wanting to write about this for a long time, but had reservations about doing it quickly. Then I had a bit of vacation and was able to watch Alexander, the extended cut, while rested and after reading a book of poetry about Alexandria. I finally felt up to tackling the issue of how Colin's performance connects Alexander with the Irish national character and thus with Irish epic myths, especially The Tain. Anyone else see the parallels?

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=92381334&blogId=533334996
LEONIDAS

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there I see your one of the oldies from the old group that use to be in here
Savanna

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Leonidas! It doesn't seem as if it has been so long, but while I was away the forum nearly died. It's a relief to see a few familiar faces still posting.

When I first found this board I was determined -- from the first day I saw the film -- to write an Alexander epic in dactyllic hexameter, so I thought I'd died and come to heaven when I discovered all of you. But in all this time I haven't gotten very far with it. On the other hand, I have learned to dream big dreams, and now I think I am on my way to changing the world!

Before I saw Alexander, I was aware of this unscrupulous academic debate going on in the health field, over whether unsafe health care is particularly important to the HIV epidemic in Africa. I knew both sides were taking extreme positions and losing sight of the policy arena and the question of what is to be done about it, but I thought "I'm no epidemiologist. I guess this will sort itself out."

After Alexander I saw that it wasn't sorting itself out, and I thought, "I can sort this out."

In the past six months I've been a featured speaker at the WHO headquarters in Geneva twice, I've been invited to conferences all over the world, and I've won the contract from WHO to model the global burden of disease from unsafe medical injections -- all because Alexander made me believe I could do ANYTHING, so I taught myself epidemiology and DID IT.

But .... no epic. Someday I will. I promise.
LEONIDAS

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you live in LAS VEGAS i live in Victorville the high desert about a 3 hour drive from vegas
Savanna

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's serendipitous - unfortunately I don't have a car!

It would be great if we could meet someday though, don't you think?
LEONIDAS

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps sometime this summer we can meet? I am going back to greece in july and august and I will be going back to vergina and pella again.
Savanna

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! I would love to see your pictures from the trip.
LEONIDAS

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me know when you would like to meet
Savanna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to meet this summer, since it's your journey it's entirely up to you when would be good. If I make travel plans I'll let you know when I won't be in town, but so far I don't have any. Thanks so much for offering to make the trip here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Colin Farrell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: