Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

was alexander looking like colin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vecchiolarry

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Shaved Legs!!!!!!! Reply with quote

OK Folks,
Let's hear it for the 'bikini wax' - all together now, YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!
Larry
dynamo

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should show Farrell getting his legs waxed in the special features of the DVD when it comes out. It'll be funny seeing the tough, manly etc etc and whatever they like to call him irishman cry!! Twisted Evil
Poppea

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll just be one long bleep, but gawd I'd love to see that particular out-take!
dynamo

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they could see how many swear words he can say in 1 minute!
Jebbu

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if you have read anything *** cool or what some might call delightfully excellent than suggest it.

Have you read "Lion Of Macedon" and "Dark Prince" by David Gemmell? even though they are partly fact and partly fiction they are still a great read, Those two books were my introduction to Alexander and I have been hooked ever since
meshuggahruls

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: bored Reply with quote

hey people,
goddddd im bored!!!!
thanx for the tip jeb, i will check those books out Smile Very Happy Wink

well
cyas
later
cal Twisted Evil Cool
Chopin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: colin casting Reply with quote

I suspect Colin Farrell was chosen for the role because he has the right attitude... that "devil may care" I'm gonna do whatever I feel like attitude. Surely Alexander was similarly unencumbered by fears that he needed to please others.

I don't think he looks much like him, though. Problem is: I don't think there is ANYONE in Hollywood who looks anything like Alexander. So you might as well at least get the attitude right.

As for ChristianMacedon's comment about shaving legs making historians think Alexander was gay, I find that comment pretty insulting. I'm gay, and I know about a thousand gay men, and not one of us shaves our legs. I do know several heterosexual athletes who do shave their legs, though. I seem to recall reading that Alexander was one of the first men to shave his FACE regularly. Has anyone else read this?
Lala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: colin casting Reply with quote

Chopin wrote:
..I seem to recall reading that Alexander was one of the first men to shave his FACE regularly. Has anyone else read this?

Never read or heared of something like this, but every surviving image of his represents him shaved. So, I think this is accurate and safe to say that he was shaving his face regularly.
ninelives

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: What did Alexander look like? Reply with quote

The only artifacts that we have which give us an idea of what Alexander looked like are a gold coin with his etched face, and a pale grey/white marble bust. Through various writings, we know he had blonde hair, and soft boy-like facial features. He was very athletic, and gave great concern to his body. He ate very fresh food, approximately six times a day and in small portions. He had beautiful teeth. He did not over indulge in eating, like many men of wealth and power did. Alexander waxed the hair off his body, and had a peculiar penchant for his soldiers to do the same. He encouraged his soldiers to have a intimate relationship with another soldier, because he felt this would provide them with the impetus to remain loyal and protective of the army. The soldiers would share intimate bed time, but many felt that it was not proper since they (the soldiers) were of, or close to, the same age. The time had passed for male to male sexual relationships that consisted of men of the same age. It was only acceptable for older men to have this affection for younger boys. It took special understanding on the soldiers part to accept Alexander's intimate relationship with Hephestion. Only when Hephestion died did they truly understand the love Alexander held for him. I need to note, the difficulty of acceptance on the soldiers part was not due entirely to Alexander's deep love for Hephestion, but because they also felt Hephestion was not the warrior that Alexander made him out to be. Alexander also knew this, but he gave Hephestion undue authorities merely out of his obsessive love towards him Both Alexander and Hephestion were known for their physical beauty.
Chopin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it would be difficult to find someone who looked just like Alex., but I suspect that Farrell pulls off the correct attitude.
Alexander was blond, and he was a few inches shorter than Colin Farrell, from what I have read. People were shorter in those days. But the writings by Arrian and others say Alex. was very athletic, and could jump off a chariot while the horses were running, run alongside the chariot, and jump back onto it. The sculptures of him give him classical, hunky good looks, but of course it is impossible to say what he really looked like since there were no cameras then!
Child of a Dream

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think they are very look aliked, though Colin Farrell is a little more rough (in his physical appearence, I mean...)
Nikas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Through various writings, we know he had blonde hair, and soft boy-like facial features.

Actually, this is a major fallacy. The Roman mosaic at the House of Faun in Pompeii, a copy of a contemporary Hellenic painting of Alexander, most likely shows what Alexander truly looked like. For those who do not know which mosaic I am referring to, it is the one at the top left corner of this site.

I also quote Plutarch:

"whereas we are told that he was fair-skinned, with a ruddy tinge that showed itself especially upon his face and chest."

Plutarch, The Life of Alexander, 4

Alexander probably looked like an average northern Greek does even today.
Lala

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chopin wrote:
...but of course it is impossible to say what he really looked like since there were no cameras then!

Dear Chopin, there may have not been any cameras then but humans always wanted to reproduce images in order to state something (specially Alexander the Great). Ancient Greeks did that using sculpures, paintings, mosaics etc. And they were & are rather famous for their sculptures. They wouldn't have been so, if their presentations were unrealistic. As for the colour of his hair, (once again) I can tell you that his hair was blonde while he was a kid, then turned brown and as he was getting older his hair was getting darker. It was getting lighter after being exposed to long sunny periods. I can be sure of that because I see it very often around me nowadays...
Rhemy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cuncur concur

the mosaic in the house of Pompeii was done according to the legendary tales being told on Alexander. i wouldnt take it by no small surprise that the romans drew and described Alexander as a person with Latin complexion as rome itself.

Since Alexander paved the way for the Roman Empire , rome would have all know that he looked like rome as his legends travelled lands afar and his stories struck great and drew attention.

so depicting Alexander as Black haired was a Roman Political stance adopted..but of course thats my opinion.
somewhere me and Dynamo and someone else were discussing the facts of hair getting bleached by the sun and getting blonde by lenghty exposure from the sun baked battle fields
Child of a Dream

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhemy wrote:

the mosaic in the house of Pompeii was done according to the legendary tales being told on Alexander. i wouldnt take it by no small surprise that the romans drew and described Alexander as a person with Latin complexion as rome itself.

In general, the mediterraneans are very look-aliked. There were (and are) very few greeks who had blonde. Alexander would probably have been blonde when he was a kid, and his turned a little dark as he grew up, which is what happens to almost everyone here, including me.

Quote:
Since Alexander paved the way for the Roman Empire , rome would have all know that he looked like rome as his legends travelled lands afar and his stories struck great and drew attention.

so depicting Alexander as Black haired was a Roman Political stance adopted..but of course thats my opinion.

I don't agree again for the reason explained before. Also, the boy in the mosaic is brown-haired, not black-haired...

Quote:
somewhere me and Dynamo and someone else were discussing the facts of getting bleached by the sun and getting blonde by lenghty exposure from the sun baked battle fields

That's more probable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: