Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alexander and Mathematics
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I ask a question? Which one is correct in English? Math or Maths? Cause in Greek we say Mathematica (plural).

By the way Mathematica is a word that (I think) derives from the word Mathema which means lesson in Greek.
Alexia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lala wrote:
May I ask a question? Which one is correct in English? Math or Maths? Cause in Greek we say Mathematica (plural).

By the way Mathematica is a word that (I think) derives from the word Mathema which means lesson in Greek.

Both are correct. They are both short for Mathematics. When America first broke away from England, there was a concious effort on the part of educators to create an American English, and all text books were rewritten to reflect the new spellings. After that, there was divergence in the language due to distance, but I guess we still understand each other. Laughing
Well, sometimes.
dynamo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GCSE is the General Certificate of Secondary Education

exam us Brits have to take at 16
Jenna Corinth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually only the English, Welsh and (I think) Northern Irish who sit GCSE's. Here in Scotland we sit 'Standard Grades'.
dynamo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well la-de-da. Aren't the scots special. (I'm 3/8 scot. Damn nice country been to Mull on the west coast once)
olympia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle was the tutor of Alexander.
Aristotle also trained many of the great geometers of the time. I wouldn't be surprised then if Aristotle would have tought Alexander at least some of what he knew about geometry.
At that time Plato had an engraving above the door of the academy which said "Let no one ignorant of geometry enter my doors".

In those days geometry was seen as connected to philosophy. Surely something Alexander had been taught.

Math back then was much more "experimental math" though.
The theoretical abstract study we now recognize as math didn't really exist yet.
Euclid was the first to provide the theoretical backbone for math, and that was after the time of Alexander.

Calculus (which I saw mentioned on the first page) was really only developed into the coherent theory we have now in the 17th century by Newton and Leibniz.

I would expect him to have worked maybe with tables that contained data he could refer to? (Guessing here Smile )
Alexia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynamo wrote:
GCSE is the General Certificate of Secondary Education

exam us Brits have to take at 16

thanks.
is that like the math exam that Mr. Bean has to sit and chooses the wrong question? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: