Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SAW THE MOVIE, IT SUCKS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexandrus wrote:
CAN'T YOU READ.
Maybe if YOU read the forum rules you would see that posting entirely IN CAPITALS is not permitted.
smith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChristianMacedon wrote:
Why is it that only greeks dont like this movie? everyone else says its good.

Because they are spoiled by being the unquestioned, and perfect hero in every Hollywood movie made. Now if the “Greek” hero is just slightly questioned as having what could be perceived as imperfection by some, they will start jumping up and down and acting like a kid. Can you imagine how they would have acted if they were from one of those “other” countries were the bad guys in the movies usually come from
mOoK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChristianMacedon wrote:
Alexandrus apart from insulting everyone here on the forum and swearing like there is no tomorrow i dont see you staying long here.
The film is made, and it is how O.S. visualised Alexander.

im with ya man Confused stop being such a jerk, Alexandrus Rolling Eyes
Rachel25

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Firstly, I'd say that it's rather presumptuous to say that all the naysayers are greeks. I just don't believe that's true, but it's not something I can prove because no one in my town has seen it yet, so I haven't meet face to face a naysayer.

And secondly, I think we should wait for the film to actually play in Greece before we can say for sure what the general greek population thinks. Because so far I'm just convinced that this is a case of the most ignorant segment of the populations (ie, the lawyers and there suit against WB), being the loudest. That doesn't mean there speak for everyone.
Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smith wrote:
ChristianMacedon wrote:

Because they are spoiled by being the unquestioned, and perfect hero in every Hollywood movie made. Now if the “Greek” hero is just slightly questioned as having what could be perceived as imperfection by some, they will start jumping up and down and acting like a kid. Can you imagine how they would have acted if they were from one of those “other” countries were the bad guys in the movies usually come from

I wonder who gave "ChristianMacedon" and "Smith" the right to speak on behalf of almost 20 odd million Hellenes living all over the World? So you guys have spoken to every Hellene on the planet and after an exhaustive study you came to this conclusion Confused All this in such a short space of time...wow Shocked

It seems to me that a few people have issues (political or other) and will use every opportunity to their advantage, or so they think. There are other sites where you guys can vent your frustrations. Why don't you go there. It'll be a cleansing experience for you I'm sure. Can't see how your statements here really add any value to this forum Shocked

As for Hollywood, the Hellenes see red because Hellenic history is almost always misrepresented or misconstrued (sometimes intentionally, sometimes out of ignorance). History always comes second to sensationalism which in turn sells tickets and that is the Hollywood bottom line! Alexander and Troy before that, left a few Hellenes disappointed because of the many deviations from actual events, gross inaccuracies etc. But in all fairness how can you capture some segments of over four thousand years of Hellenic history in a couple of hours?
Lala

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel25 wrote:
Firstly, I'd say that it's rather presumptuous to say that all the naysayers are greeks.

Yes, ...wouldn't call BBC a Greek channel....http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4034641.stm Nor, New York Times: http://movies.nytimes.com/pages/movies/index.html. Nor, CNN!!!: http://***.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/11/24/alexander.politics.ap/index.html
All in all, this movie has nothing to do with what we Greeks or F.Y.R.O.Macedonians feel about the movie... or maybe it does just a tiny a little bit. All in all it's like a surrealistic painting!

Quote:
And secondly, I think we should wait for the film to actually play in Greece before we can say for sure what the general greek population thinks.
Yes, I believe so too.
vulgaren

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree - it is not only the Greek people are negative...its just a movie and I agee with Xenos. 3 hours to define Alexandar? No way.
Thats why Gladiator was good - it focused on an event and not a whole history...
Lala

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Vulgaren. Still, some Italians were not really happy about Gladiator either! Remember?
meshuggahruls

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow
bad vibes coming from alexandrus ( or what ever his name is) .
havent seen the film but hey even if it is **** i will like it number one cause JARED LETO is in it and i have recently acquired a huge thing for him. he is pretty. and number two wow there are other hot people in there.... anthony hopkins for one. hhehhehe
peritas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

havent seen the film yet,but read the reviews from NYT,Washington post,and CNN,and they are all bad(everything,from Collin's hair,to battle scenes been chaotic,to Stone's focusing too much on Alexander's relationship with his mother.seems to bother the critics).Why?
could it be that alexander was such a complex personality and led such a fascinating life with so many great achievments that(as a previous poster noted)a 3 hour film couldnt hope to make him justice?
things were easier for"troy",its all myth,and some deviations(killing of some characters out of time,helen escaping at the end,doing away with homer's mentions of divine intervention etc)were forgivable.They did portray patroclus as achilles'cousin and thus avoided the homosexual question altogether though,but that could not be done with Hephestion,and its a good thing the question wasnt brushed aside imho,there actually was a lot of homosexuality in the greek world(portraying alexander as an immature hysteric,if that is the case,is another thing altogether though)
tintin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following is the beginning of the review of Alexander, which appeared this Thursday, November 25, in the Boston Phoenix and on its website. It was writen by Gary Susman (The Boston Phoenix is a local weekly, obviously in Boston, Massachusetts, USA)

The analogy is pretty good except for one thing. What is this one thing? For the answer, please come back here in a few days. Very Happy

Here’s the story pitch: a Western head of state, son of a powerful ruler father and a ruthless and ambitious mother, invades a Middle Eastern nation. He does so in part to avenge his father, but also, he says, to liberate the locals from their tyrannical leader. Having won a surprisingly quick victory, he marches triumphantly into the capital, but the foreign leader escapes to the mountains and eludes capture. Trying to stamp out all remaining pockets of opposition, the Westerner finds himself stuck in the region for years fighting tribal guerrillas. Meanwhile, his push to liberate other countries expands eastward. His battle-weary soldiers, who haven’t seen home in years, begin to rebel. Finally, he decides to declare victory and return home, but anarchy fills the power vacuum he leaves behind. Historians argue over whether he was truly a liberator or one of the bloodiest imperialists the world has seen.

Oliver Stone has been trying for 15 years to make a bio-pic about Alexander the Great, but the finished film reads uncannily like a cautionary allegory of George W. Bush’s war in Iraq. Stone may not have meant for the parallels to be so explicit; maybe he’s unconsciously channeling the zeitgeist, or maybe it’s just that no one in the Bush administration is enough of a scholar of ancient history to avoid repeating it 2300 years later. Pondering such paradoxes is a good way to pass the time during Alexander, a meandering, three-hour epic that might otherwise have you fidgeting in your seat.
tintin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that nobody has tried to answer my question yet.

So, here is a hint: the difference between Alexander and Bush has nothing to do with their sexual orientations.

Come on guys (and girls), use your imagination. Very Happy
Lala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...That Bush isn't Greek????!!!! .... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
tintin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lala wrote:
...That Bush isn't Greek????!!!! .... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nice try, Lala, but the difference is even more obvious: Alexander was a genius, and Bush is a moron. Exclamation Question

(Sorry if I disappointed you: that's all I could do on a rainy day, with a headache). Embarassed
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you've got over your political opinion can we get back to the topic at hand?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: