Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SAW THE MOVIE, IT SUCKS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theatergeek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey KEV and ZOE remember my words?:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release
Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2004
zoe wrote:

And Theatregeek..I CARE! I would rather the gay community support this film, and those that can't handle love between two men stay home.

You are right zoe! *** are wealthy and they pay back those 160 million $ production costs
I would like to live in the perfect world too.
And I don't have anything against gay community except 'drama queens'
To Kev:
Have you seen "A Home At The End Of The World"? I doubt.
This is another movie which you have no idea about and you are talking about.
Cause if you have seen it you wouldn't be talking about Colin in such a way you just did.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where are the gay community when we need them Twisted Evil
Are the not going to pay 160 milion $ for support this movie at the box office???
Kev, are you going to buy 10 tickets??
tintin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:
Now that you've got over your political opinion can we get back to the topic at hand?

Yes, Kevin
TheSlayer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I loved the movie. I thought it was powerful, emotional and dramatic.

And my opinion is the only one that matters to ME, so whatever anyone else has to say has no bearing on my feelings towards the film.

I adored it.

~TheSlayer
empire11

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: I saw it Reply with quote

I saw the movie the other day and I didnt think it was as bad as people are saying it is. I like how Stone did the battle scenes, they were intense and well done. Stone recreated the different cities in almost a magical way. The acting was full of emotion(alot more than I thought Farrell was capable of)Very Happy
rothalion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: new here but here's my thoughts Reply with quote

I saw the movie twice now. I was amazed to see that during the first and following scenes that showed Alexander and Hephaistion exchanging their feelings for one another that instead of watching the movie and watching the scene folks were whispering to one another, some even walked out. I have to question these folks. #1 If you had even an inkling about the life of Alexander you would have known his sexual predilictions, not that it matters. #2 If you did know why are you in this theater if you are so repulsed by this info and conduct? #3 What gives you the right 2300 some odd years later to judge who or why this guy devoted himself to and loved apparently unconditionaly? #4 Who flippin cares! Damn he loved his horse too! He was Alexander and his accomplishments as a leader of men be it for the right reasons or wrong need to be acknowleged. As for the American A##H#### who are panning it because of this absurd sexual bias screw you. Your last well a president ago, president will be studied 2300 years from now and those folks will wonder what hell he found so intriguing about interns and cigars. Revisionist history is not an acceptable basis of critique for this movie. Maybe folks just aren't ready for this openess and history yet. This movie is not a deconstruction of Alexander's. Sexual profile and it does not throw it in the face of the audience. His choices were his. Get over this sillyness and learn about the whole man. Hmm I wonder if O.S. had done ...say Cleopatra instead and tossed a few well too close for proper comfort "female friends" if the whole sex issue crap would be an issue? Sorry for the rant. Toss me out if you like.
cindoo15

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh please do tell me that Clinton and his interns will not be remembered in 2300 years.

I do agree with most of what you say (yes, I heard whispers too and saw people walk out as well - both times I've seen it) except that I have been aware of Alexander the Great since childhood but was not aware of his sexuality. I never thought to be curious about it; that, and the History channel just doesn't go there. Neither did any history class I ever attended. I must agree wholeheartedly about your comment on whether any negative mention would have been made had Cleopatra been depicted as having "close" female companions. Touche! In the time we live in, female bisexuality is acceptable - can't we look back in time to see that what is considered normal and acceptable changes? Very good point. One more thing, I really don't appreciate being called an AH American - many of us are quite open minded; it just seems that the close minded ones have MUCH bigger mouths.
vulgaren

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah cindoo but don't you you think that Stone wanted just that - so we can see ourselves in the mirror and consider ourselves even 'backward' in a sense to Alexander?
Lala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...This last comment reminds me of Snowhite....
Lala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cindoo15 wrote:
many of us are quite open minded;
Don't worry. Some of us know that. We all have to make sure that our open mindedness is based on facts, fairness and respect though.
mOoK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lala wrote:
...This last comment reminds me of Snowhite....

Laughing lmao Laughing
cindoo15

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulgaren wrote:
Yeah cindoo but don't you you think that Stone wanted just that - so we can see ourselves in the mirror and consider ourselves even 'backward' in a sense to Alexander?
Quote:

OK, I'm trying this 'quote' thing again - I'll probably do it wrong again; sorry. (If anyone would like to teach me please send me a PM - thanks)

What a tremendous thought - you really made me think here. Yes, we do appear backward to Alexander in this sense. Actually, last night I was thinking about how much of a forward thinking man Alexander appears to be in many ways with his acceptance of many different races and cultures. Our world could learn much from this.

As for the snowhite reference, I don't get it.
Lala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind Snowwhite. Alexander did have a vision. He had respect for others. To my knowledge his vision must have been firstly to free the Hellenes of Ionia (which was the one thing that made him vicious to the eyes of his enemies) and then stop the core of hostility (for Hellenes) without distroying the culture and ways of the Persians but made adjustments to the existing political establishment while introducing the Greek culture (NOT by force). Corect me if I am wrong.
Lala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the sexuality thing it didn't have anything to do with Alexander's ideas/visions. It was really how things were back then. Everybody was sleeping with everybody they wanted to without being labeled. It was Christianity that stopped this way of living because sexuality (in general) among many other things was casted as "pagan". Read Plato's (Platonas) theory.

http://www.uno.edu/~asoble/pages/symp.htm
Quote:
Plato: Symposium, Aristophanes' Speech
...At last, after a good deal of reflection, Zeus discovered a way. He said: "Methinks I have a plan which will humble their pride and improve their manners; men shall continue to exist, but I will cut them in two and then they will be diminished in strength and increased in numbers; this will have the advantage of making them more profitable to us. They shall walk upright on two legs, and if they continue insolent and will not be quiet, I will split them again and they shall hop about on a single leg." He spoke and cut men in two, like a sorb-apple which is halved for pickling, or as you might divide an egg with a hair; and as he cut them one after another, he bade Apollo give the face and the half of the neck a turn in order that the man might contemplate the section of himself: he would thus learn a lesson of humility. Apollo was also bidden to heal their wounds and compose their forms. So he gave a turn to the face and pulled the skin from the sides all over that which in our language is called the belly, like the purses which draw in, and he made one mouth at the center, which he fastened in a knot (the same which is called the navel); he also molded the breast and took out most of the wrinkles, much as a shoemaker might smooth leather upon a last; he left a few, however, in the region of the belly and navel, as a memorial of the primeval state. After the division the two parts of man, each desiring his other half, came together, and throwing their arms about one another, entwined in mutual embraces, longing to grow into one, they were on the point of dying from hunger and self-neglect, because they did not like to do anything apart; and when one of the halves died and the other survived, the survivor sought another mate, man or woman as we call them, being the sections of entire men or women, and clung to that. They were being destroyed, when Zeus in pity of them invented a new plan: he turned the parts of generation round to the front, for this had not been always their position and they sowed the seed no longer as hitherto like grasshoppers in the ground, but in one another; and after the transposition the male generated in the female in order that by the mutual embraces of man and woman they might breed, and the race might continue; or if man came to man they might be satisfied, and rest, and go their ways to the business of life: so ancient is the desire of one another which is implanted in us, reuniting our original nature, making one of two, and healing the state of man.

Each of us when separated, having one side only, like a flat fish, is but the indenture of a man, and he is always looking for his other half. Men who are a section of that double nature which was once called Androgynous are lovers of women; adulterers are generally of this breed, and also adulterous women who lust after men: the women who are a section of the woman do not care for men, but have female attachments; the female companions are of this sort. But they who are a section of the male follow the male, and while they are young, being slices of the original man, they hang about men and embrace them, and they are themselves the best of boys and youths, because they have the most manly nature. Some indeed assert that they are shameless, but this is not true; for they do not act thus from any want of shame, but because they are valiant and manly, and have a manly countenance, and they embrace that which is like them. And these when they grow up become our statesmen, and these only, which is a great proof of the truth of what I am saving. When they reach manhood they are loves of youth, and are not naturally inclined to marry or beget children,--if at all, they do so only in obedience to the law; but they are satisfied if they may be allowed to live with one another unwedded; and such a nature is prone to love and ready to return love, always embracing that which is akin to him. And when one of them meets with his other half, the actual half of himself, whether he be a lover of youth or a lover of another sort, the pair are lost in an amazement of love and friendship and intimacy, and would not be out of the other's sight, as I may say, even for a moment: these are the people who pass their whole lives together; yet they could not explain what they desire of one another. For the intense yearning which each of them has towards the other does not appear to be the desire of lover's intercourse, but of something else which the soul of either evidently desires and cannot tell, and of which she has only a dark and doubtful presentiment. Suppose Hephaestus, with his instruments, to come to the pair who are lying side, by side and to say to them, "What do you people want of one another?" they would be unable to explain. And suppose further, that when he saw their perplexity he said: "Do you desire to be wholly one; always day and night to be in one another's company? for if this is what you desire, I am ready to melt you into one and let you grow together, so that being two you shall become one, and while you live a common life as if you were a single man, and after your death in the world below still be one departed soul instead of two--I ask whether this is what you lovingly desire, and whether you are satisfied to attain this?"--there is not a man of them who when he heard the proposal would deny or would not acknowledge that this meeting and melting into one another, this becoming one instead of two, was the very expression of his ancient need. And the reason is that human nature was originally one and we were a whole, and the desire and pursuit of the whole is called love. There was a time, I say, when we were one, but now because of the wickedness of mankind God has dispersed us, as the Arcadians were dispersed into villages by the Lacedaemonians. And if we are not obedient to the gods, there is a danger that we shall be split up again and go about in basso-relievo, like the profile figures having only half a nose which are sculptured on monuments, and that we shall be like tallies...
Lala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://lavinia.***/plato.html
Lala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://members.aol.com/matrixwerx/glbthistory/plato.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: