Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Breed of Horse is Bucephalus in this movie?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: What Breed of Horse is Bucephalus in this movie? Reply with quote

Does anyone know what kind of horse Bucephalus (Alexander's black horse he tames when he's young) is in this new movie? I would really love to know! Thanks!
tintin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: What Breed of Horse is Bucephalus in this movie? Reply with quote

missi wrote:
Does anyone know what kind of horse Bucephalus (Alexander's black horse he tames when he's young) is in this new movie? I would really love to know! Thanks!

The horse is a Fresian.
rothalion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: horse Reply with quote

That was my thought and what an exquisit animal. After the Ahkel Tek my second fovorite breed. I beleive that I read somewher that Alexanders introduction of the larger western breeds of horses into say the Bactria area played a huge role in the breeding of the indiginous horses of that atea.
missi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What Breed of Horse is Bucephalus in this movie? Reply with quote

tintin wrote:
missi wrote:

The horse is a Fresian.

oooh thanks so much!
tintin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: horse Reply with quote

rothalion wrote:
That was my thought and what an exquisit animal. After the Ahkel Tek my second fovorite breed. I beleive that I read somewher that Alexanders introduction of the larger western breeds of horses into say the Bactria area played a huge role in the breeding of the indiginous horses of that atea.

I was in Afghanistan many years ago. I was enthused by the game of Buzkashi. Would you happen to know the breed of horses used in the game? I only know they are indigenous to the area. One type is kind of short, but amazingly fast and strong, and the other much larger, and equally fast and strong.
Elena

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One type is kind of short, but amazingly fast and strong

The "qataghan" , a sturdy pony known for strength and endurance Wink Only male stud horses are used in the game. But I don't know about the large ones Confused .
rothalion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Buzkashi Reply with quote

There is an old movie maybe late sixties early seventies called the "Horsemen" based on a book by Joseph Kessel. It a great tale about a father and sons attempt to win the Royal Buzkashi. I think Omar Sharif is the son. The bokk does talk a lot about the horses and is very detailed about the journey to and from the contest.
tintin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Buzkashi Reply with quote

rothalion wrote:
There is an old movie maybe late sixties early seventies called the "Horsemen" based on a book by Joseph Kessel. It a great tale about a father and sons attempt to win the Royal Buzkashi. I think Omar Sharif is the son. The bokk does talk a lot about the horses and is very detailed about the journey to and from the contest.

Yes, however nothing is said about the horse types in the book.

I recently wrote a review of this beautiful film. You can see it at

http://www.epinions.com/mvie_mu-1009946
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: