Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elgin Marbles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Elgin Marbles be returned to Greece?
yes
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
no
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Elgin Marbles Reply with quote

Far away from their native land, the Parthenon Marbles have been situated at the British Museum for over 150 years, thanks to the endeavours of Lord Elgin. There are continuous negotiations between the Hellenic government, asking for their return, and the British government who, together with the Trustees of the British Museum, have refused to do this up until now. Should the Parthenon Marbles be returned to Hellas?

Have your say Smile Exclamation
Tino

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a reason for them not to be returned.
I commend Lord Elgin for rescuiing them (at the time) due to the fact that the Ottomans would have surely destroyed them, but today Greece is perfectly capable of housing them safely and securely in Athens.
As a gesture of good will and friendship towards Greece as a NATO and EU ally, they should be returned, and if not returned there should be some sort of compensation towards the Greeks.
Lala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean something like what the Egyptians have done with Tut?
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/02/arts/design/02tut.html?hp&ex=1102050000&en=d0add6d554f603c2&ei=5094&partner=homepage
Tino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't view the link Lala, need to be a member
Lala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ARTS / ART & DESIGN | December 2, 2004
King Tut, Set for 2nd U.S. Tour, Has New Decree: Money Rules
By ROBIN POGREBIN and SHARON WAXMAN (NYT) News
Tino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's only fair, wherever certain trasures go on display, the rightful nations should be compensated on annual basis, sort of like a lease.
demosthenes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Greeks have repeatedly shown themselves unable to care for their country's archeological treasures; you wouldn't give a child back to abusive parents would you?

Besides, museums are loot. Always have been. You start handing stuff back, you're setting a bad precedent.
manos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think is a good idea of a worlds wide museum like the British Museum. The only thing I disagree is to be based on each country's decision what they want to give to this museum and not based in British favourite hobby "STEALING". They did it to Greece, to Egypt, to Persia, to Native Americans, to India ,to Africans. Even the Queen wears a stolen jewel (diamonds from India) in the crown. How logical is the argument that Greeks couldn't take care of them? Then no one in the world can take care of their own civilisation except the "good" British. By the way the ignorant English tried to make the statues whiter!!!! and the result was to destruction of their natural colour! The British put officially argument (is writen in the British museum) that they are saving these priceless artifacts from pollution and instead of doing something substantial about pollution they are licking the b***s of the greatest polluter on the planet USA.Can I take Big Ben to Greece to protect it from the pollution? If they are so much concerned about world herritage and history then what were they doing when the museum of Iraq was looted.
When the other civilisations where making all these priceless contribution to the world were the British taking care of them at that time? Or were they chasing each other and howling in the forests?
Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Demosthene, really like your username by the way, fantastic historical name Very Happy

Please allow me to disagree with you regarding the Hellenes and their Museums / safekeeping of archaelogical treasures. In the past years there has been a, nothing short of, miraculous transformation of Hellenic museums, and archealogical sites. To be precise how many countries in the World would have transformed an archaelogical site in to a "living" museum as per that which we find in the Athens Metro system. What a magnificent environment. Here you wait for your next ride and can browse at 2000 year old finds and excavations tastefully protected from the elements by window panes. What an architectural triumph!

Not to mention the Acropolis and the surrounding areas having been transformed in to "pedestrian only" areas. The painstaking replacement and restoration of archaelogical sites etc. by the Hellenes and phil-Hellenes of the World. If I'm not mistaken I think that there already is a new extension to the existing museum that has been built specifically for the Elgin marbles and the idea was to be able to put these on exhibition during the Olympics, but the powers that be saw things otherwise. I personally would have loved to see the Elgin marbles in Greece during the Olympics Very Happy
Lala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truth is that there have been many changes and improvements in the Greek Museums over that past 10 years. So, when it comes to the "caring" of the marbles, I don't see any reason for them not to be returned to Athens.
demosthenes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Britain bought the marbles fair and square. They aren't "stolen". Perhaps Greece should make us an offer instead of whining all the time.
Lala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is 10£ good enough? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
manos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your information Ottoman empire sold them not Greeks.National heritage is priceless. Countries take pride for what they have and that's why it's so important to us. But you will not understand as you guys sell off your own heritage, the original London Bridge was sold to an American for $2.4 million and now is in Arizona. Cheers!
demosthenes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ottoman Empire? Really? well it's a good job you're here; personally I had no idea... Rolling Eyes

Like I said, the marbles were bought fairly. If they hadn't been, there probably wouldn't now be any marbles left to argue about.
Lala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

demosthenes wrote:
Like I said, the marbles were bought fairly. If they hadn't been, there probably wouldn't now be any marbles left to argue about.
This is true...there was a time the Turks had build a mosk in the center of Parthenon....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: