Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your Family Tree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vrettas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Your Family Tree Reply with quote

How many generations can you trace your family tree back?
Are there any interesting facts about your family that you have learnt about that happened many years ago?

I can trace it back about 5 generations. But i haven't tried researching really well.
Tino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've traced by my family tree to the mid 1800's during the Ottoman occupation (letters, journals etc) It took a very long time but was well worth it.
Tino

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those curious:
Based on letters, journals and birth records and real estate holdings, I've discovered my father's family changed names 5 generations ago, the furthest back I can trace was that they were leather workers in Konstantinople, when the city fell to the turks, a large number of Greeks settled (and I believe founded) a village by the name of Havoutsi South East of Konstantinople, while there my great great great grandfather made the pilgrimage to the Holy lands where he was blessed in the river Jordan, and officially (as was the custom) changed his last name. He added the prefix "Hatzi" to his first name and this became the family's new last name. "Ex: Dimitri Hatzidimitriou"
During the balkan wars with Turkey, when all Hellenes were forced out of there, my family moved to Kastoria in the nothern province of Macedonia where they have been ever since, now we have branched out to Thessaloniki, Germany, Canada, America, and Australia.
I'm very glad that my family decided to keep such records! One day I'd like to visit Istanbul (Konstantinople) and Havoutsi.
Anyone else have any interesting stories about their family tree?
olympia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my father's side of the family I can trace back my family to the 1650's.
(Can't remember if it's 12 or 15 generations)

Best story I think is one I learned through my aunt. My second great-grandfather was a soldier in Napoleon's army. He went on that horrific trek to Russia. We have the medals in our extended family.
He was pretty darn lucky to make it back. The odds against to people were amazing. Good thing he did make it back or I wouldn't be here Very Happy

I did find out that a couple of years before he joined the army, his parents went bankrupt. I think he may have joined the army for the money.

I find the more recent history a bit more interesting. I have found some last wills and testaments in the archives. It can be pretty interesting to read those. from the outstanding bills and the description of the property you can get a pretty good idea of what life was like back then.

Sometimes the marriage certificates are good sources too. I found some descriptions of ancestors on my mother's side from the late 1700's. Blue eyed, blonde and short! (about 4 ft 8 for the men). Good thing I take after my dad's side of the family Laughing

If you are interested in this kind of thing and you ever get to Salt Lake City, you should check out the genealogical archives maintained by the mormons. It's amazing. They have all kinds of information on microfiche. It's easier doing research there than in the original archives.
vulgaren

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tino wrote:
For those curious:
Based on letters, journals and birth records and real estate holdings, I've discovered my father's family changed names 5 generations ago, the furthest back I can trace was that they were leather workers in Konstantinople, when the city fell to the turks, a large number of Greeks settled (and I believe founded) a village by the name of Havoutsi South East of Konstantinople, while there my great great great grandfather made the pilgrimage to the Holy lands where he was blessed in the river Jordan, and officially (as was the custom) changed his last name. He added the prefix "Hatzi" to his first name and this became the family's new last name. "Ex: Dimitri Hatzidimitriou"
During the balkan wars with Turkey, when all Hellenes were forced out of there, my family moved to Kastoria in the nothern province of Macedonia where they have been ever since, now we have branched out to Thessaloniki, Germany, Canada, America, and Australia.
I'm very glad that my family decided to keep such records! One day I'd like to visit Istanbul (Konstantinople) and Havoutsi.
Anyone else have any interesting stories about their family tree?

hey Tino same happened with my gran gran father who got hadzi in his surname as well. There is one very famous greek in UK - Hadzi Stelious - is this very common in Greece? Do you have a link or something about this pilgrimage?
Tino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: "Hatzi" Origins Reply with quote

This is all I could find Vulgaren:
What does the Hatzis name mean?
Last Name: Hatzis
Greek: from the vocabulary word hatzis ‘pilgrim (to Jerusalem)’, related to the Arabic hajji ‘pilgrim (to Mecca)’. Having completed a pilgrimage to the Holy Land was a mark of high social distinction. Often, this surname is a reduced form of a surname with Hatzi- as a prefix to a patronymic, naming the ancestor who performed the pilgrimage; e.g. Hatzimarkou ‘son of Mark the Pilgrim’, Hatzioannou ‘son of John the Pilgrim’.
vulgaren

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so Tino I presume that makes some noblemen here! Laughing
Please show us aome respect from now on.
Tino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I highly doubt it, "higher social distinction" just meant you were respected, nobility is a whole different concept, but it did make my family's last name much longer than it originall was! Razz
Vrettas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out my Grandfather fought in the Greek Civil War as a communist!!! Oh man thats weird. He had a bullet scar in his cheek. He was pretty hardcore. They breed em like that in Kozani. He was a hilarious guy. But very proud. His name was Constantine so it suited him.
His wife's name is Alexandria. But i dont know too much about her family's history. I better ask her while she's still around

My Grandmother's father's family use to live around Xanthi then the Turks kicked them out and they settled in Ano Kleine near Florina. Then a few months after my Grandmother was born her mother died from witchcraft apparently! Crazy Village people
vulgaren

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Vrettas, would you ever contemplate going back to live in Greece? Kozani is a pretty place, rich land and close to the sea...its beautiful down there.
Vrettas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually born in Australia. Last time i went to Greece was in 1991. So i was only 6 yrs old then. I'd like to go again next year.

Last time i went we went all over Greece. But cause i was young i had to stay in Ano Klene for a lot of the time (about 2 months out of 6). So i turned into a farm boy. My Uncle Petro even gave me a donkey to ride around on.

Unfortunetely i didn't get to go to Pella or Eygpt with my parents!!

Kozani was fun. My Grandfather's brother always use to make me popcorn, i got so spoiled by relatives. And i use to watch Jason and the Argonauts all the time. good times

We even went to Bitola in FYROM. Its a nice place. My Yaya got a haircut there.

Athens was awesome but to much concrete.

I enjoyed the Islands the most. Lots of partying. But i burnt my leg on a motorbike exhaust twice in Santorini. And got chased by 2 topless 60 yrs old because my cousin and i were throwing rocks at a bin and we accidentally hit them. That was Scary.
Lala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Hagatha and her sister were chasing you? Laughing Laughing
vulgaren

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Santorini is cool place - Ios even qrazier. I almost killed myself on a bike as well...I understand when you say - they spoil you, that's the nature of the people down there.
Hephaestion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can trace back my family to the 1700's on my father's side. I don't know about my mother's side. Maybe a couple of generations. I think there's some Lappish on her side... For you to know, I come from Finland.

Maybe some day I'll trace my family tree as far as I can.
Rachel25

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm a Canadian, my mother is Greek, her mother was born in Turkey and her father was born in Russia(before the revolution, now Georgia) so that's the best I could do in my highschool family tree.

Before Yaya passed away we tried to get as many stories from her as we could. She write up her life story from as far back as she could recall. All branches of the family have copied her memoir and we received some amazing pics that told us things about their life. Pics of the house my mother grew up in that doesn't exist anymore because the suburb that she grew up in in Athen's is all apartment buildings. Pics of my grandfather and his brothers in a tobacco plant, and my grandfather in front of the Sphinx in Egypt.

I thought it was interesting to learn my great grandfather was a white Russian (hence the reason why he fled with his children) and the overall opinion in the family is that he must have done something horrible in the war because he was certainly punished. The majority of his children became ***. Laughing
Also finding out from Yaya that her parents hide two Armenian neighbors in their attic during the first world war.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: