Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tomb of Alexander the Great
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cynisca

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Was there images of Alexander's tomb? Reply with quote

HI,
earlier on while going through my photo folders....I came across the one of Caesar standing looking at Alexander's body...
It made me wonder.....all the people who visited his tomb in antiquity, why were there no paintings, drawings or sculptures made, even of the actual tomb itself? Or have they all disappeared, like the works of his contemporaries that mentioned him?
regards
Cynisca
philalexandros

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's made me think! Surely they must have been paintings and sculptures of his tomb! I wonder.... Shocked Rolling Eyes
joanna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Was there images of Alexander's tomb? Reply with quote

[quote="Cynisca"]
Quote:

It made me wonder.....all the people who visited his tomb in antiquity, why were there no paintings, drawings or sculptures made, even of the actual tomb itself?

I have thought about that myself. It sounds strange.

Now thinking about that I feel sad Sad . Alexander wanted to be buried in Siwa. They didn't execute this last wish of his. Every man who's dying has the right to that. He said Siwa....Nothing.
They continued to use him even after his death. Very sad, indeed.
Cynisca

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,
it makes me wonder if they were destroyed....you remember the papyrii that was entombed with Alexander......so that nobody would know the secrets...?
The Pharoahs were given secret burial (yes, I know tomb raiders found them occasionally) and Alexander could have been given this same honour eventually...I will have to type up some of my recent thoughts...
the strangest thing is....how do we know that Alexander has not been found.....and is thought to be an Egyptian mummy.....I just joked elsewhere about him being in the basement of the British Museum...and realised it could easily be true (maybe not the BM, but in a museum posing as an Egypian 'artifact'.....!)
regards
Cynisca
philalexandros

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting thoughts Cynisca,does make me think...!
Adriv

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,..... hmm... interesting. Confused
Leonnatus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bet is under the Nabi Daniel Mosque in Alexandria. Since it is holy ground, there is no chance of it ever being excavated and maybe that is to do with The Great being regarded positively in The Holy Koran. But does it really matter if his corpse survived or not? He wanted to be buried at Siwa. That was where Perdikkas was intending to take him probably, since his programme for the succession to Alexandros was the most pro-Alexandros of those who fought to 'replace' him. That is why I see Perdikkas as his true 'successor' or should that be aspiring successor Cool . ?
Ptolemy effectively stole Alexandros' corpse from Perdikkas for his own political self-aggrandizement. Which is why I believe it is 'The Message of Alexandros' sent down the centuries of History that is all that matters contextually.
Adriv

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Leonnatus Very Happy
philalexandros

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed very good!so many inteesting things to think about regarding this matter.
Cynisca

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Leonnatus,
Leonnatus wrote:
My bet is under the Nabi Daniel Mosque in Alexandria. Since it is holy ground, there is no chance of it ever being excavated and maybe that is to do with The Great being regarded positively in The Holy Koran. But does it really matter if his corpse survived or not? He wanted to be buried at Siwa. That was where Perdikkas was intending to take him probably, since his programme for the succession to Alexandros was the most pro-Alexandros of those who fought to 'replace' him. That is why I see Perdikkas as his true 'successor' or should that be aspiring successor Cool . ?
Ptolemy effectively stole Alexandros' corpse from Perdikkas for his own political self-aggrandizement. Which is why I believe it is 'The Message of Alexandros' sent down the centuries of History that is all that matters contextually.

The Nebi Daniel does have some recommendations as to being the burial place of Alexandros......but whether this was temporarily and he was moved or he is still there....remains to be seen (excuse the pun... Very Happy )
I thought Perdikkas was taking him to Macedonia and Aigai Question .....although all we have to go on are the later writings..
Ptolemy's real reasons may never be known although I suspect it was connected with Alexandros as Pharoah of Egypt and if he was half brother to Alex it may have strengthened his position.
Although, having said that.. I feel he also had Alex's interests
at heart...
As mentioned in other threads and posts, there are also circumstances here that need to be dealt with as possible 'cover ups'. If Alex's body was under threat, it could well have been accorded the title of 'Saint or Prophet' depending on the ruling religious faction...
What I would like to know, is what happened to Alex's armour, stolen by that Caligua ....
and wearing it here by the looks of it..
[url]//www.indiana.edu/~c494troy/Augustus/caligula2.jpg[/url]
regards
Cynisca
joanna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know Andrew Chugg? One of his books on Alexander is about his tomb. I wrote to him and he answered me kindly saying that he could answer any questions I have. I will write to him again asking A LOT of questions.

I copied the following. Have a look:

" Does The Tomb of St Mark
In Venice Really Contain
The Bones Of Alexander the Great?

By Jonathan Thompson and Nicholas Pyke
The Independent - UK
6-16-4

It could be one of the worst cases of mistaken identity ever known. A British historian is claiming that the venerated tomb of St Mark in Venice contains not the great evangelist but the body of the most famous warlord in history.

The mummified remains buried beneath the altar of St Mark's Basilica in fact belong to Alexander the Great, according to Andrew Chugg, a respected authority on the Macedonian conqueror.

His theory, a complex tale of medieval body-snatching, is already dividing the academic world. This week he will cause outrage among devout Catholics when, writing in the latest edition ofHistory Today, he says the saintly relics should be exhumed and subjected to genetic testing.

Locating the body's resting place has been rated as the holy grail of archaeology. Alexander, a Macedonian king living in the 4th century BC, had godlike status during his lifetime and for many centuries after. By his 30th birthday he had conquered an empire stretching 3,000 miles from Greece to India.

His life will be dramatised later this year in a "sword and sandals" Hollywood epic starring Colin Farrell, Angelina Jolie and Sir Anthony Hopkins and directed by Oliver Stone.

Alexander died aged 32 or 33, according to some authorities, and for 700 years his corpse lay entombed in the Egyptian city of Alexandria, which he founded. Yet, by the 4th century AD it had vanished.

Mr Chugg, the author of several books on Alexander, believes the confusion occurred when the warrior's body was disguised as St Mark to protect it from destruction during a Christian uprising.

"Both bodies were said to be mummified in linen, and one seems to disappear at the same time that the other appears - in almost exactly the same place, near the central crossroads of Alexandria," he writes. "It's a strong possibility that somebody in the Church hierarchy, perhaps even the Patriarch himself, decided it might be a good plan to pretend the remains of Alexander were those of St Mark.

"If this is true, then it was Alexander's remains - not those of St Mark - that were stolen by Venetian merchants and taken back to their native city some four centuries later." In fact, three early Christian sources state that St Mark's body was burnt after his death.

Mr Chugg's theory, elaborated in a forthcoming book, The Lost Tomb of Alexander the Great, has divided academics. Robin Lane Fox of Oxford University, an eminent Alexander scholar who advised Oliver Stone on the film, was dismissive. "It's very charming, but it's slightly stale buns," he said.

But Paul Cartledge, professor of Greek history at Cambridge and author of Alexander the Great: The Hunt for a New Past, was enthusiastic. "There's certainly a chance it could be true, because there's a historical gap that needs to be filled," he said. "We all want to explain why the trail goes cold at the end of the 4th century. At that point, Christianity triumphs and nobody has a voice to say where this pre-Christian hero is buried. He just fades away."

Dr Paul Doherty, another recent biographer, said: "Alexander was regarded as almost a divine figure, and if we could get to the body, with DNA testing, we could find out a great deal about him - for instance, why he died so quickly. The corpse of Alexander's father, Philip, was discovered in Greek Macedonia in 1970, so there's no reason why we shouldn't find Alexander. The body is out there somewhere - but I suspect it is still under the streets of Alexandria."

Interesting?????
Cynisca

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joanna,
I don't know him, but know of him from seeing some posts in Pothos when looking through the archives..
I think the theory of 'St Mark' being Alexander is possible, St Mark's symbol is the winged lion of Babylon.....!
In the circumstances, it's well worth looking into...the problem being, unless the church agrees to DNA or other testing....it's unlikely we will ever know the truth...
Both St Marks and Nebi Daniel are extremely toucy about investigations being carried out...which makes me wonder in a suspicious way... Wink
regards
Cynisca
joanna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Cynisca"]
Quote:

I think the theory of 'St Mark' being Alexander is possible, St Mark's symbol is the winged lion of Babylon.....!
In the circumstances, it's well worth looking into...the problem being, unless the church agrees to DNA or other testing....it's unlikely we will ever know the truth...
Both St Marks and Nebi Daniel are extremely toucy about investigations being carried out...which makes me wonder in a suspicious way

Yes, I think it's possible, too. Alexander's tomb disappeared around the end of the 4th century AD. That time Emperor Theodosius outlawed the Olympic Games considered them pagan feasts (I think it was 393 AD).
At the same time Alexander's remains vanished, just like that !!
Hmm, something is strange here.

Andrew Chugg is going to give a lecture on " The Lost Tomb of Alexander the Great" on May 9th at the Egypt Society of Bristol.
Click on the address to see:

www.alexanderstomb.com/main/latestnews/index.html
Leonnatus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joanna, useful info on Andrew Chugg.I have read his book on the tomb and it's impressive on all relevant factors to 'the final resting place'.

Both St Marks and Nebi Daniel are extremely toucy about investigations being carried out...which makes me wonder in a suspicious way...

Cynisca, I think that both religions fear God more than anything or anyone including The Great. Cool
apelles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cynisca wrote:
Both St Marks and Nebi Daniel are extremely toucy about investigations being carried out...which makes me wonder in a suspicious way... Wink
regards
Cynisca

There isn,t the faintest hope of the church agreeing to D.N.A.testing because there,s too much to lose if it does turn out the be Alexander.Andrew Chugg,however,makes out a very good case in his letter to the Vatican.I had a quiet word with "St. Mark "when I visited the tomb last year,just in case it was actually Alexander. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: