Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tomb of Alexander the Great
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isela

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: the tomb of Alexander the Great Reply with quote

there is a big cuestion.
where is Alexander the Great's tomb? Question
a lot of things have been saying about the important men who visited his tomb, these dacts are puzzles of informationfor try to solve this question.
because we can know where was he (more or less).
After Alexander died Crying or Very sad were 2 years of fights for his body obviously everybody wanted the honour of been his last residence.
finally it was prepared a magnificient Razz accompaniment for taken the King to his Macedonia.
Exclamation Alexander's body was submerged in honey as a was of conservation of the body.
is is said when Alexander was alive he wanted to be buried in Alexandria of Egipt or in Siwa. so Ptolomey stealed The Great's body and took it to Memfis where Alexander was buried in the Macedonian way.
time later Alexander was removed to his beloved Alexandria and he was buried in the real sector.
then his corpse was inside of a extremely luxurious sarcophagus made of gold.
A geographer named Estrabon visited Alexander's tomb during the period of (20 -24 b. C)
Estrabon said Alexander ws inside of a mausoleum that was inside of a holy precinct but the sarcophagus made of gold was no there Evil or Very Mad in its place was one made of glass fortunately very luxurious too.
here is a list with the names of some of the important men who visited the mausoleum...
* (note the names are given in spanish cause i didnt find the tranlation of the names to Eglish) Confused
Smile Augusto. Roman emperor who admires Alexander the Great.
Smile Caligula. he is a roman emperor too. famous cause he was very extravagant. he left his real armour plate as a tribute .
Smile julio cesar. one of the most important of the roman emperors. he was compared with Alexander cause he was brave and intelligent. he admired Alexander.
Smile octavio. he said he travel from Rome to Alexandria to see a real king and also he refused to visit the others kings who were buried in that real sector.
finally. septimo severo who decided to seal the tomb cuase the wanted peace for the King . it is said he also add the secret books to the tomb..."so none could read the books nor see the body"...
this is the beginig of the reason why the great king tomb dissapear in the time.
after that Egipt fall into a terrible situation of misery and war those facts made the real place was forgotten Confused even the ubication.
in (the period between 36- 65 a. C) Lucano the poet made a thin descripcion of our hero's tomb. e said it was a mausoleum with a piramidal structure over a vault. it is write in the epic the "La Farsalia"
unfortunately the are few dates about Alexander's tomb and they said the previous are the most believable.
a looooottttttttt of time later Smile some people believed the tomb was an artificial hill in the centre of the city but nobody coul prove the point.
isela

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
i dont know what happen it likes to work twice. Rolling Eyes
i suppose Wink
apelles

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of mine did that yesterday Embarassed Never mind.I enjoyed your post.It,s possible Alexander,s tomb lies under the part of Alexandria which is now flooded by the sea. I would give anything for it to be found.
Maz

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ But if that is true and it were there, there'd obviously be no remains due to being under water Sad I always wanted to see on T.V. them make a computer build up of his face like they did in this Jesus programme I saw before, well that was a rough estimation. Too bad we'll probably never know what Alexander looks like for sure.
joanna

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post, isela.
Octavious visiting Alexander's Tomb just after he defeated Cleopatra and Marc Antony (30 BC) left his coat as a token of respect to Alexander.

A Greek archaelogist believed that she had found the tomb. Read the following:

The Siwa Oasis: The last theory concerns the story that Alexander the Great asked, while on his deathbed, to be buried at the Ammoneion in the Western Desert Oasis of Siwa, near the temple of the god Amun. This story is told by the historians, Diodoros, Curtius Rufs and Justin, who were not contemporaries of Alexander.

Very soon after entering Egypt, tradition has Alexander traveling to this Oasis where his divine origins were declared as a son of Amun. Hence, it is believed that Alexander had, perhaps, a special place in his heart for this somewhat obscure site. Diodoros mentions that Alexander's funerary procession was at some point destined for the Ammoneion, but he, nor anyone else, actually claim that this burial took place. In fact, there is not absolutely clear evidence that he ever visited the Oasis.

A Greek Mission, headed by Liana Souvaltzi, a graduate of the University of Athens in Archaeology and Philology, excavated in the Siwa Oasis beginning in 1989. In 1995, the mission announced that they had uncovered an underground passage leading to Alexander the Great's final resting place, but this was highly discount by other Egyptologists, and no word has come from Souvaltzi since about 1995. In fact, her work, examined by Greek authorities, was apparently so shabby that it resulted in tightened scrutiny of whom the Egyptian Government will allow to conduct excavations in Egypt.

Souvaltzi was , really, convinced she had found Alexander's Tomb. Then , all of a sudden, she refused to talk to journalists. It's a mystery. A lot of people believe that she was forced to remain silent. Who knows. But I still remember her defending her discovery.
apelles

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Joanna.I never heard this before.I wonder if she,ll ever be able to tell the real story.
Adriv

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, very interesting. Hmmm... mystery indeed. Confused
joanna

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

click on the following to see Souvaltzi's official site. She has even written a book. If you click on the Reconstruction you can watch virtual reality representations from Alexander the Great's tomb ( according to her).
Interesting.

http://www.souvaltzi.gr/nomikos_sumv_eng.htm
isela

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i visited the site is very interesting.
and it is not only her the only one who is still looking up for Alexander's tomb...
l found that time ago on the church of Saint Atanasio it was found a very antique sarcophagus; most of the people believed it was Alexander's unfortunately later and after a lot of studies they said this sarcophagus was not of Alexander but of Amirtea the Pharon.
in the beggining of the XX Century a French archaeologist named Breccia found in Alexandria and old mausoleum ruined.
it was studied and in 1930 another archaeologist (Achille Adriani) thought in the posibility of been with Alexander the King. he based his theory for the year of the mausoleum and and because it was made on the macedonian style .
*there is a big possibility but the 100% is not proved yet.
and as Joanna said there is Helena Souvaltzi it would be great to have a woman for answer our big question. where is the tomb of our hero? but unfortunately she doesnt give strong proves.
there is another actual researcher he is the archaeologist Zahi Awass he is investigating hardly.
so even after his death our Alexander continues taking the imagination of many.
personally I think his tomb must be a treasure not for the gold or the jewels, I think the important thing here is because it has the body of the man who has the spirit of a God. a man who dream and make it real, the man who after more of 2000 years is still invencible.
Cynisca

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if these are mentioned somewhere in the Archives...
Rather humourous flash movies about Alexander and the tomb......
http://www.bazthegreat.co.uk/
Click on Alexander the Great banner, then 'History' on the column and scroll to bottom of page...'click here to read about the tomb.....'
I think it triggered off another dream about Alexander within two weeks, but I only have this vague impression.
Having some psychic abilities, I would love to visit Alexandria (also Siwa and Venice) to see what I 'feel' about the possibility of Alexander still being there, although I am 'told' something of his burial has already been found...and not realised.
Sometimes you have to work through what 'information' is 'genuine' and what may be something you have read or heard about and forgotten, that is filtering through from the subconcious..
regards
Cynisca
Cynisca

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been re reading the story of the finding of the tomb at Maraqi and I feel sick again....that is physically queasy...
What I am beginning to wonder is.....
Liana Souvaltzi finds remains and is suddenly refused permission to carry out further works. The remains are left to rot, the burial chamber could be now filling with water..permission is refused to carry out further works to ascertain who could be buried there.
More than one person finds evidence of an underground chamber at Nebi Daniel Mosque and a possible mummified body, permission is refused to carry out further works to ascertain who could be buried there.
Andrew Chugg is researching the possibility of Alexander's body being carried to Venice and installed under St. Mark's. The chamber is damp and destroying the remains - permission is refused to carry out further works to ascertain who could be buried there.
Now what is making me feel sick is the thought that if Alexander's body is still in one piece, there is a conspiracy to leave him to rot.
Not to protect his remains...that I could understand, I would not want him pulled out of his sarcophagus, treated as a specimen and manhandled either or his grave goods taken away from him to museums across the globe. I would, however, also love to see a facial reconstruction ...!
I just have this sick feeling that this is more to do with politics, greed...or even religion and Alexander's body will never be 'found', unless it suits the 'powers who be', maybe they fear another war of the Diadochi
All these sites have 'holy' associations, two of them are of biblical prophets and saints, one of Islam, one of Christinity (Islam and Christianity are sibling faiths believe it or not)....who both have associations with lions, a lion was also found at Maraqi.
Alexander was worshipped as the son of Jupiter Ammon - a Pagan God and as Pharoah of Egypt, he was also divine. Siwa does not have any early connections with Christianity or Islam until the 13th century.
Whoever holds Alexander holds great honour.. the body of the World's greatest known warrior king and recognised son of a Pagan God.
Think about that.... Confused
regards
Cynisca
Cynisca

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been re reading the story of the finding of the tomb at Maraqi and I feel sick again....that is physically queasy...
What I am beginning to wonder is.....
Liana Souvaltzi finds remains and is suddenly refused permission to carry out further works. The remains are left to rot, the burial chamber could be now filling with water..permission is refused to carry out further works to ascertain who could be buried there.
More than one person finds evidence of an underground chamber at Nebi Daniel Mosque and a possible mummified body, permission is refused to carry out further works to ascertain who could be buried there.
Andrew Chugg is researching the possibility of Alexander's body being carried to Venice and installed under St. Mark's. The chamber is damp and destroying the remains - permission is refused to carry out further works to ascertain who could be buried there.
Now what is making me feel sick is the thought that if Alexander's body is still in one piece, there is a conspiracy to leave him to rot.
Not to protect his remains...that I could understand, I would not want him pulled out of his sarcophagus, treated as a specimen and manhandled either or his grave goods taken away from him to museums across the globe. I would, however, also love to see a facial reconstruction ...!
I just have this sick feeling that this is more to do with politics, greed...or even religion and Alexander's body will never be 'found', unless it suits the 'powers who be', maybe they fear another war of the Diadochi
All these sites have 'holy' associations, two of them are of biblical prophets and saints, one of Islam, one of Christinity (Islam and Christianity are sibling faiths believe it or not)....who both have associations with lions, a lion was also found at Maraqi.
Alexander was worshipped as the son of Jupiter Ammon - a Pagan God and as Pharoah of Egypt, he was also divine. Siwa does not have any early connections with Christianity or Islam until the 13th century.
Whoever holds Alexander holds great honour.. the body of the World's greatest known warrior king and recognised son of a Pagan God.
Think about that.... Confused
regards
Cynisca
Cynisca

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops..... double post Embarassed
Cynisca

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
well, I just made an interesting discovery, typed up some information and ideas....and I don't think Alexander wants me to post it yet.....(well somebody doesn't)
For no reason at all, it suddenly messed up, when I had tried to back up by copy and pasting it elsewhere, it refused to paste anywhere, so it has gone. Totally wierd.... Confused
I am retyping it and doing some more background research.....and will eventually post it on my new Live Journal.
regards
Cynisca
Cynisca

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have just read an absolutely awful post on a forum I came across....that states that circa 400ad, St Athenasius, the secretary to Bishop Theophylus of Alexandria had what turned out to be Alexander's tomb demolished and discovered his remains with the face covered with a gold mask. This mask was given as a present to Theodosius II and Alexander's 'Pagan' body was subsequently thrown in the Nile by Theophylus ......grrrrrrrrh Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
This information was supposedly on some website or another.......
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
The thread and post in question......http://www.healthypages.net/forum/tm.asp?m=131490&mpage=1&
regards
Cynisca
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: