Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tomb of Alexander the Great
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cindoo15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanna wrote:
I believe the church has no right to refuse a DNA test. There are people out there who want to learn the truth. By refusing the test doesn't make them seem reliable and trustworthy. If they are sure that S. Mark is there , then why they refuse? I can't see the point. Or ....they are not sure at all; but they ( I repeat) have no right to refuse the DNA test.

Of coarse they're afraid. Let's face it - most everything (actually I can't think of anything that's been proven to be real but I could be very wrong about that) that's been dated has been proven to be a fake. To me, the claim that St. Peter is laid to rest there is completely false! If they were so certain about it being St. Peter then I don't think they'd hesitate to have it tested.

Now, if we knew for certain that it was Alexander-the-Great ........ that would be amazing. Even if I weren't an Alexandrian, I'd still find it more fascinating if it were found to be true. The whole story of it ending up being Alexander and the theories about how and why it ended up being Alexander would be far more interesting than another 99% certain fake!

Quote:

If it's proved they're Alexander's remains I think ( like Cynisca said) they won't lose anything. It's going to be one of the greatest historical discoveries and not lose but they will gain a lot. After all if they have Alexander there instead of the Saint it is not their fault. It was somebody else's fault long time ago. Why are they afraid, then?

Exactly. BUT, there are millions and millions of people that have no doubt about what the church says is there. This is not a group they wish to become doubtful.
cindoo15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for egg on my face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Embarassed

Is it supposed to be St Mark? I kept writing St. Peter!
cindoo15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cynisca wrote:
Hi,
I nearly put in my post that us Alexandrians should create some sort of fuss at St Marks, but it could put us in a bad light..which we don't really want, especially if after all it turned out to not be Alex....
Has Andrew asked people to sign a petition to ask for this testing to be done?
The fact that the church is hesitating means that they probably do have doubts and are scared of the truth, but whichever truth it turns out to be, I am sure will increase pilgrimages/tourism and revenue..... Wink
After all, Alexander was said to have paved the way for a different form of worship and was not Helios also originally used to portray Jesus...? There is a chariot with four horses in St Marks square.....the chariot of Helios had four horses too...add that to the winged lion....very Pagan symbolism...! (Of course much christian symbolism was adopted from the older faiths)
regards

Actually, if the church played it right - Alexander is very important to Christianity. After all, the faith spread through the Greek language. This can be led directly back to Alexander and his resulting Hellinization of the world at that time.
Cynisca[/quote]
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cindoo15 wrote:
Time for egg on my face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Embarassed

Is it supposed to be St Mark? I kept writing St. Peter!

Laughing
Cynisca

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

St Peter is under the Roman church.... or is he Laughing
cindoo15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question.

I was reading the synopsis of Andrew Chugg's book and he mentions, as I've read in other places as well, that after Alexander died they say his body "remained curiously fresh and lifelike..., which may indicate a profound terminal coma". Now, I know medicine has come a long way since then but certainly they knew if someone is breathing and has a heartbeat they are alive!!! Now you can't be in a coma without breathing or having a heartbeat because then you would be dead!! This has always puzzled me greatly. I've taken care of a lot of people in comas and yes, you can tell they are alive.

So, was he dead yet his body appeared lifelike - if so, how? Did they put something on him to curtail the decomposition process - we know they eventually did because they mummified him. Or, did they just pronounce him dead because ??? they knew he wouldn't live? Or, did they not check for things like breathing and heartbeats????? Or, is the whole lifelike thing simply a myth???
Cynisca

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Alexander's Tomb: The Two-thousand Year Obsession .......... Reply with quote

Hi,
a new book by Nicholas Saunders.....(rather appropriate surname, same as Sanders Very Happy )
Alexander's Tomb: The Two-thousand Year Obsession to Find the Lost Conqeror
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/046507202X/ref=pd_nfy_nr_b_75/002-1460846-0556054?n=4873&s=books&v=glance
From the review, it looks as though Andrew Chuggs theory is also discussed....
Looks like another interesting read for us....!
regards
Cynisca
siwa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS is the most interesting thing i found about alexanders tomb ubication. And i want to shear it with you.

http://www.geology.upatras.gr/ergastiria/geophysics/pdf_files/papers/ALEXANDRIA.PDF#search=%22tomb%20alexander%20bonacasa%22
Mikes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Possible resting place of Alexander Reply with quote

In January of 2005 I was able to visit the Nebi Daniel mosque. The imam actually let me go down into the crypt and I took video and digital images of Nebi (prophet) Daniel's green covered sarcophogus. There was also a smaller sarcophogus near by but I don't recall who it was for.

I know that people are talking about Alexander being in Venice somewhere as St. Mark and anything is possible. My reasoning is similar since it could be applied to the pre-Christian prophet Daniel. In other words, why not do that DNA test on Daniel too since his remains are where the tomb of Alexander was supposed to be. Oh, by the way, there is also another shrine holding the remains of Daniel but that one is in Iran. When I saw the sarcophogus I wondered how much of a stretch it would be for those Christians at the end of the Roman empire to say, you know what guys, this is not Alexander (who died in Babylon) it is Daniel (who was from Babylon).

Mikes
Cynisca

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible resting place of Alexander Reply with quote

Hi Mikes,
Mikes wrote:
In January of 2005 I was able to visit the Nebi Daniel mosque. The imam actually let me go down into the crypt and I took video and digital images of Nebi (prophet) Daniel's green covered sarcophogus. There was also a smaller sarcophogus near by but I don't recall who it was for.

Well, you must know what my question is (and probably of everyone else who is interested.... Wink ) is there a possibility of seeing at least one of the photos. (by PM request) I will understand if you would rather not...
Quote:

Now that people are talking about Alexander being in Venice somewhere as St. Mark and anything is possible. My reasoning is similar since it could be applied to the pre-Christian prophet Daniel. In other words, why not do that DNA test on Daniel too since his remains are where the tomb of Alexander was supposed to be. Oh, by the way, there is also another shrine holding the remains of Daniel but that one is in Iran. When I saw the sarcophogus I wondered how much of a stretch it would be for those Christians at the end of the Roman empire to say, you know what guys, this is not Alexander (who died in Babylon) it is Daniel (who was from Babylon).
Mikes

I agree with that, I found it a little strange that a mosque was built over what is said to be Alexander's tomb and said to contain the remains of Daniel...although the site was obviously already known and revered, so where better to place a newer shrine......!
I wonder who is in the smaller sarcophagus....?
regards
Cynisca
Cynisca

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I just came across an online article written by Nicholas Martis, former Minister of the Hellenic Republic.
Interestingly enough the site is a Greek Orthodox one and the article begins:
Alexander the Great placed his stamp onto the history of nations as an important precursor of Christ, since he (a) brought the Hellenic civilization to the East, (b) established the Greek language as the only common tongue of communication amongst all the nations of the then known world, which was used as a vehicle to promulgate Christianity, that addressed peace and love between nations, and (c) condemned racial discrimination and declared religious freedom.
Alexander the Great and Christianity
I hadn't realised just how revered and important Alexander now is, to some believers of the Christian faith, who in their wisdom have now recognised Alexander's achievements as important, regardless of which Gods and Goddesses he loved and honoured.
In the circumstances, if it did turn out to be Alexander at St Marks in Venice....the Christian church should be proud of the fact....as should the Muslims if it turned out to be Nebi Daniel.
Alexander was a son of God, after all......God being whichever male God you believe in or who claims paternity....in Alexander's case it was Ammon Zeus/Zeus Ammon, nobody knows what the father of Jesus was actually named....and it could just as easily be somebody from a 'non Christian' Pantheon.....
Didn't Alexander inspire Mohammed to a certain degree too....?
Best regards
Cynisca
Cynisca

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: New book by Andrew Chugg.... Reply with quote

Soon to be published: The Quest for the Tomb of Alexander the Great

In 2004 Andrew Chuggs first book The Lost Tomb of Alexander the Great was published to the accompaniment of international media attention, since it reported the first credible suggestion as to the current whereabouts of the long-vanished corpse of the illustrious conqueror. In the intervening years, direct progress on testing of the candidate remains has been thwarted by the Church authorities, yet much new information has emerged, casting the enigma in an ever more probing light. In this extensively updated and extended account, the tortuous meanderings of the evidence have been tracked with scrupulous care, thus teasing apart the tangled threads of erstwhile hidden history. In these pages the author lays bare the forgotten secrets of one of the greatest mysteries bequeathed to us by the ancient world.
Read More
philalexandros

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! how great Cynisca... thank you so much for posting that... something to look out for. Smile
Sikander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Tomb Robbers Reply with quote

Greetings,

I have long maintained that I hope the remains of Alexander are never found, for multiple reasons. Long ago, a friend gave me this poem, which expressed a similar feeling. I have been given permission by the author to copy it here.(with all the ensuing copyright notices, etc.. please do not reproduce or reprint it elsewhere. I *only* have permission to put it here and on one other site). The author is Z. Plente; the poem was written in 1977; I hope you enjoy it.. and understand the feeling behind it:

TOMB ROBBERS

Somewhere amidst the dust of ages,
the King lies waiting.
His face, like pallid marble, still and white,
gazes with jewelled eyes upon Eternity,
while above
his city
moves in tumultous fever,
shaking his deep-buried vault
like a cavalry charge.

Lost is his tomb,
fallen in ruins.
Gone are the tributes,
stolen and plundered.
Only he they dared not touch
when they came-
the thieves!

But we shall dare
when we find him.
We shall dare to take him
from his own place,
to be catalogued and numbered,
to be stared at,
passed by,
forgotten
among the other curios from the past.
Thus shall we honour him!
This Golden Youth,
this King of Kings,
this God.

What will he think of us?
How will he curse us,
this Golden Youth,
this King of Kings,
this God,
when we come to stare?
Let him be too far from us to care.

Z. Plente, 1977

Of course, I am certain there are those who would argue Alexander will not be forgotten, but part of his mystique is, I believe, that he is *not* found.. may it be ever so.

Regards,
Sikander
joanna

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice poem, Sikander.
Yes I understand the point. But I still wish his tomb could be found.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: