Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stay with me tonight, Hephaestion....It´s gone!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriv

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Stay with me tonight, Hephaestion....It´s gone!! Reply with quote

Stone comments on DVD content

Entertainment Weekly
27th May 2005

EPIC PROPORTION
Alexander Slims Down on DVD

Last year, critics panned Alexander - and U.S. audiences ignored it. Now director Oliver Stone is "reimagining" it for DVD, and - surprise! - there's already controversy. When Warner Bros. announced May 12 that Stone's version would run eight minutes shorter than the theatrical cut (both DVDs are due Aug. 2), the Internet buzzed that Stone was axing the hints of romance between Colin Farrell's Alexander and Jared Leto's Hephaistion.

"I know this is gonna be an issue with the gay dotcoms," the director says, "so we have to be very exact. What they're saying is that we changed the character to make him like Brad Pitt [in Troy] - to make him heterosexual. Which is not the case. We just don't dwell on the relationship as much. We want to make the film more accessible." But Stone stresses that he hasn't excised all its gay content. For example, while Alexander's line "Stay with me tonight, Hephaistion" is out, the line "It is said that...Alexander was never defeated, except by Hephaistion's thighs" is still in. The new cut may even find its way to theaters before the DVD - but will moviegoers? "Even if you hated the movie," Stone pleads, "give it a second shot."

--Gregory Kirschling
Adriv

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the best part!!! Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad
apelles

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOR GOODNESS SAKE!I have now had this up to HERE. Evil or Very Mad What on earth is going on?Is it just me or is O.S.going to alienate everybody by the time he,s finished.I give up.
Adriv

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I better stick with my piracy copy. Nothing "removed". I´m so dissapointed, feel like crying now. Crying or Very sad
Maz

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta say I've lost a little respect for O.S. IMO he should have stuck with what he had. The fact that he's pleading people to try it again makes me a little sad, but more for him.
joanna

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, give him a break. He's very disappointed, you see.
That film was his dream and some stupid critics destroyed it.
Goldsnail

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes me sad to see that Stone no longer trusts his own judgment but prefers that of the critics, even though it is widely known that they aren't usually total experts on good taste, art and innovation...

Where has he come to? He used to be a man with a spine...
Silver Shield

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean a possible re-release in the cinemas, I wonder what other scenes may have been cut
Isnt it to late to salvage now anyway, the movie has recieved a panning since irs relaese over 8 months ago ( Although I think its excellent )

The reasons why i feel this movie failed is due to a lack of education and knowlegde of the Ancient times, the "MTV GENERTION", neither have the will power or interst to watch epics, nor do they grasp the concept of brotherly love , they want "MTV Alexander" a chick flick,. Im sorry but theese people need to grow up ans so do the critics, from my redaings this film is correct in many of its details unlike the epics such as Jason and the Argonarughts and Sparticus( excellent as they are ), even Kingdom of Heaven which has seen rave reviews is at least 40% fiction.

OS should take it on the chin his movie was not a box office hit but was a great film, its the people of this sad uneducated and ignorant world that cant accept a non waterd down accesable adaptation of one of Historys greats and what is most sad is peoples lack of respect of History pre 21st century. OS should leave it as it is a great epic
Maz

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanna wrote:
Well, give him a break. He's very disappointed, you see.
That film was his dream and some stupid critics destroyed it.

More the reason to stick by what he had Confused
cassanders mum

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: DVD release etc Reply with quote

I think we all have to believe that Alexander the movie will stand the test of time much like the man! There have been lots of films that flopped miserably only to gain a cult following and become great and accepted by the general public some time later. Just remember, we saw the potential first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ysoria

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about the ring-giving moment? are they cutting that out too? Embarassed
tv

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I too love that "Stay with me tonight" scene. Does OS really think he'd gain more audience by removing that line? I think not.
alessandros

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its gonna be in cinema again!!! cool!!!!!
Adriv

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alessandros wrote:
its gonna be in cinema again!!! cool!!!!!

What?? Shocked where?
allison

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the movie was wonderful as it was - why cut things out??? Cutting scenes cannot make a better movie, only a worse one. Sure, one of the problems Alexander had was that it was 'another long epic'. People I've heard speaking about why they didn't go to see the film thought it was too long, and after viewing the three Lord of the Rings films, couldn't stand the thought of yet another long epic - they wanted shorter, simpler films.

Alexander was epic - very shakespearian, very elitist in that in order to really get the most out of the film you had to be aware of Alexander's story - how else would you get why Phillip was murdered, for example. So much happed in the background, so much was left for the audience to connect the dots - he actually treated the audience as if they had some intelligence. Why spoil it now by 'dumming down' the movie? It's a classic film, and will be highly respected given time.

Alexander (the uncut, theatrical version) has spoilt me when it comes to cimena going now. Nothing even comes close - it's all boring by comparison, overly simplistic, and two dimensional. Cutting Alexander is more than just a shame - its criminal and deliberate vandalism Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: