Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Death of Alexander
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: The Death of Alexander Reply with quote

What are peoples thoughts on how Alexander died, e.g. poison, infection, etc.

I read an interesting article here: http://www.umm.edu/news/releases/bug.html
which theorises that it may have been an intestinal bug which caused his death.
Cami Te Amo!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that he died of fever too, but also have heard that he was poisoned.
Tino

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magika: I think you may be refering to Black Lotus, worked well medicinaly but only in miniscule amounts.

I read a convincing article lately that supports the theory that Alexander may have been killed by the West Nile Virus.
Here's the link from the Centre of Disease Control in the US.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol9no12/03-0288.htm

A little long but it makes sense.
Sufi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's enough information about how he died to pinpoint a specific sickness.

I tend toward the infection theory, simply because he was in a part of the world that would've been rampant with unknowns, he might've already had weakened lungs because of previous injuries, he also was likely still suffering from emotional wear and tear from Hephaistion's death -- and all of these things can contribute to his immune system finally not being up to the task.
cnm72

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he was also a heavy drinker which would attribute to poor health at some point...
Alexia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander most likely died of pneumonia. After a drinking binge, he jumped in the Euphrates to sober-up and became ill. Since he had only one good lung, chances are that he would never have been able to fight off the infection. People love to say that he was poisoned, but there is no historical evidence to support this.
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: one more theory Reply with quote

I have also heard of another interesting theory, which I might ad is not proven at all.

This theory claims that Alexander has been murdered by the Greeks.
There are two following reasons:

-The first reason suggests that Alexander was murdered by Athenians who could not deal with the fact that the non-democratic semi-civilized Macedonians were now the leading power of Greece.

-The second one suggests that Aristotle may have been a key figure in Alexander's death. According to some historians it is possible that Aristotle could not deal with Alexander's 'philo-barbaric' character.

It is well known that Alexander considered many Greeks as narrow minded and that he valued foreign traditions.

As I said, no solid proof whatsoever.

What do the *** think?
Alexia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: one more theory Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
This theory claims that Alexander has been murdered by the Greeks.

Interesting theory. One I have not heard, but at this point the Greek state of Athens would not have been powerful enough to do it. They had no one close enough to him to do it, and for the most part, they seemed content to let Alexander do his thing as long as he didn't bring it to Greece. Besides, it was Krateros who held the fetters of Greece at this point. It would have made more sense to kill him to free the rest. Even after Alexander's death, Greece continued to be ruled by Krateros, not Alexadner's so-called heirs.
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is more I forgot to mention.

It is also said that Alexander wanted to proclaim Alexandria or Babylon(he was in Babylon when he died) as the capital of his empire. Therefore the center of the world was not a Greek city. This (it is said) arroused many Greeks especially Aristotle.
Tino

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with Alexia.

Also, the Athenians received rich spoils of war on an annual basis (which was well documented), so I doubt they were bitter enough to go to such extents to murder the man who avenged them against the Persians.

I still think it was a force of nature... west nile? Malaria? Pneumonia? Who knows.
Bukefal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, seems like it might be west nile virus.

another (slightly unrelated) topic is whether the hanging garden actually existed in babylon. i saw something on TV about it but i can't seem to remember the show. i don't really have an opinion on this - i just thought some of you might want to look in to it.
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, the Athenians received rich spoils of war on an annual basis (which was well documented), so I doubt they were bitter enough to go to such extents to murder the man who avenged them against the Persians.

well, I'm not saying that the Athenians (as a people) despised Alexander, but certain individuals might have. Many great people are murdered by the initiative of individuals.

It's just an hypothesis.
rtms

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was Robert Greens book(not sure) where he supposes that it was coup , that the army and lesser general finally rebelled over a lot of issues, from his marriage to a non Macadon, to perhaps making Bablyon the captial to general burnout over the long march and never having a chance to go back home and reap the rewards. First they poisoned Hepiston and then later Alexander, there by creating a vacum of power.
teafromholland

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently saw an interesting documentary on the Discovery Channel. They had an modern day Scotland Yard detective delving into Alexanders early death. He explored several theories, including a conspiracy for murder or an infectious disease. His conclusion was that Alexander's death was most likely caused by a herb, that was used as a medicine to bring down the fever. We know now that if taken in high doses it can be lethal (I forgot it's name). Alexander was anxious to go to war again and in an effort to get well soon, he poisoned himself. I thought it was pretty convincing Exclamation
Tino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teafromholland wrote:
I recently saw an interesting documentary on the Discovery Channel. They had an modern day Scotland Yard detective delving into Alexanders early death. He explored several theories, including a conspiracy for murder or an infectious disease. His conclusion was that Alexander's death was most likely caused by a herb, that was used as a medicine to bring down the fever. We know now that if taken in high doses it can be lethal (I forgot it's name). Alexander was anxious to go to war again and in an effort to get well soon, he poisoned himself. I thought it was pretty convincing Exclamation

Very interesting, I wish I had seen this special, some doubts rise in my mind though. Even though it's quite plausible that too much of a medicinal herb (such as black lotus) may have been the cause of death, and I don't doubt that Alexander was eager to return to battle, however his men were not.
His army's morale was at an all-time low, and some argue even to the brink of mutany at Opis.
So Alexander died on his return home, and not traveling towards new lands to conquer.
Perhaps he was miserable no longer conquering anyone that he lost his spirit to rule... who knows?
If the herbal theory is correct though, it would prove ironic, since Alexander himself was quoted as saying: "I am dying from the treatment of too many physicians"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: