Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alexander - the 'film' via DVD
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joanna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Abraham Lincoln was strangled not shot..... Reply with quote

viletrog wrote:

A few points for you to try to learn from....

Wow! Thanks !!!! We were waiting for YOU to tell us all these thnigs we DID NOT know about Alexander. Shocked

Now it's your turn to learn something :

DOCUMENTARY= a factual film or programme about an event, person etc. presenting the facts with no fiction.

MOVIE= it's open to both factual and fictional additions

'Alexander' is a movie. Do you understand that?( I don't know, maybe you need more explanation)
That's the thing that you have to learn ,except being polite with people you don't know. So, from now on I hope you should be able to distinguish a movie from a documentary. OK?
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for mentioning Jeanne Reames-Zimmerman, Rachel. She was the expert I was referring to. She is quite the authority on ATG and Hephaistion, as well.

If anyone is interested and has not read her review for 'Alexander', you will find it on her site. She also has a message board on her site and another one called "Live Journal".

Here is the link:

http://myweb.unomaha.edu/~jreameszimmerman/Beyond_Renault/beyondrenault.html

Dara Smile
Goldsnail

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My god, without Viletrog I'd never understand ANYTHING AT ALL about Alexander! Too bad Stone didn't just shoot a 10-hour-documentary with no dialogue at all except the bits that can be found in the ancient sources! Who cares about storylines and character development in narrative and film anyway?

Mr. Green
ishkandar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been reading the recent comments made by various people about the movie alexander, it would seam factual history is out the window if making films, what next ? elizabeth the 1st married with 6 kids because it makes a better movie? i think its sad if people are threatened with facts, i agree with viletrog, please tell it like it was, i come from iran and my tribe regard bagoas as a hero as he persianised the king, to hear folk belittle my history and culture is sad, i hated the movie it was like a bad soap opera, "dallas" in togas? perhalps thats why these defenders liked it? i also dont like the homophobia thats comming accross by the attacks on a person who justifibly states and wants the facts!
Adriv

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanna wrote:
" Alexander" is a movie that some people simply hated and the rest..... fell in love with it !

The end

I fell in love with it! that is all I have to say Very Happy
Rachel25

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
elizabeth the 1st married with 6 kids because it makes a better movie?

It's been done. Okay, not the part about being married with six kids, but many could argue the validity of a lot of things in the movie 'Elizabeth'. Her meeting with her sister Mary? Or what about that very modern scene with her practicing public speaking infront of a mirror? I almost expected her to bring out a diet coke for confidence or something. But over all, I liked the movie 'Elizabeth' too. And I remember with I was in grade 9 everybody like 'Braveheart'. And if you want to talk about really changing history for a story, look to 'Braveheart'.

In comparison 'Alexander' was quite factual. There is poetic license, but most understand that poetic license sometimes has to be used to tell a story smoothly. Hey, Homer did it, every Roman 'historian' did it, and quite frankly I don't see what's wrong with it when it causes so many people to seek out the 'facts' afterwards, because many people do.

And Ishkander, I certainly hope you don't think that because I didn't like Bagoas (Mostly due to Mary Renault's portrayal of him in 'THe Persian Boy') that I'm belittling you history or culture. In truth Bagoas was not the only Persian who could have had some influence on ATG. I would have loved seen more of such characters because in fact, the presence of one dotting slave does not a fair characterization of intigration make.
That and what attacks would you call homophobic? On this board anyway, because IMBD has been horrible for it, but I haven't seen any here, or in this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: