Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hi hi!! :D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PersianElite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: hi hi!! :D Reply with quote

Hey there Smile my name is Farhoed...am 16 years old...am a guy..

I live in the Netherlands but am born in Iran.. we fleed to the Netherlands because of the muslem regime Twisted Evil and I'm a descendant of the Persians!!! WOOHOO Very Happy
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Farhoed!

I hope you enjoy having joined the forum and I also hope you enjoy the discussions we hold in it. I've read some of the posts you've already made and I've seen your perspective about things. I think most of us here agree with your take on equality. It was part of the Greek culture to believe in equality, but in a very limited conception of equality (limited to Greek male citizens in most cases; certainly different from the view of universal equality we tend to hold nowadays), and that's why they made so many differences, like that between Greek and barbarians. However, I believe, and I also think that in this point most of those who are in the forum will agree, Alexander was beyond this kind of discrimination. You may find some acts to the contrary, but his evident intention was to integrate all races under a single political entity and, in that way, Alexander was a multiculturalist respectful of diversity and desirous of cosmopolitism.
PersianElite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do understand what you mean and I fully respect it... Smile thanks for your welcome.. Smile and I do understand his goals...which he didn't quite achieve Sad but.... he called them 'barbarians' ...uuhm well...they were the first with Human Rights.. Smile and the evidence of that lies in London..that's why I dont understand that there are BARBARIANS... Smile ...with human rights...but ok... Im spamming here cuz this is not a discussion thread...ONCE again thanks for you welcome alexandros Smile

Farhoed-
kharyzz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Welcome. I'm a newbie too and I must say THIS BOARD IS HOT Laughing !
It seems you a nice guy.. have fun!
PersianElite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe thank you Smile !
joanna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, PersianElite. Wow , what a beautiful name you chose! Very Happy

First of all WELCOME to the friendliest forum. Enjoy yourself as everybody does.

The word 'barbarian', in the time of Alexander, didn't have the same meaning it has now. It meant simply a nation who didn't speak the Greek language and didn't follow the Greek customs. That's all.
In the movie you can see how Alexander respected the Persians and in one scene when he gets angry with his companions says that Persian civilization is older than the Greek one.
Adriv

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Persian decedant, I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Lets drink some wine like they used to do ..... "To Alexander the Great" and everybody else! Wink
PersianElite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eheh didnt check out this thread for some time...thanks man Smile yes I know joanna but the people of now...dont understand alexander...they thought barbarian is probably some weird dude with weird clothes that eats raw cows Razz but ok...at least you understand me Smile

once again, thanks for the warm welcome Very Happy !
joanna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure Very Happy
Vrettas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A barbarian was used as a derogative term also in ancient Greece. I was reading the Illiad last night and they used the term barbarian as an insult in it. Alexander simply used the word barbarian to describe non Greeks.
Adriv

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vrettas wrote:
A barbarian was used as a derogative term also in ancient Greece. I was reading the Illiad last night and they used the term barbarian as an insult in it. Alexander simply used the word barbarian to describe non Greeks.

Yup! exactly, I couldnĀ“t say it better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: