Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another reason why alexander failed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slobadog Melosivec

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Another reason why alexander failed Reply with quote

I'v been thinking some these days and think i've figured out one of the crucial reasons why it failed, perhaps the most important, the flaw was the fact that it forgot a universal epic film aspect. Most epics and many regular films i've see that have been successful utilize decent
amount of visual seamlessness a decent amount of coordination between the location journey and the character development journey.
In these films there is usually alot of traveling going on and the changing of locations is usually handled gradually with little sharp changes in different styles of sceanary. Often the variouslocations feel just different parts of one location even if they aren't. Also there can be a tendency
for the style, color scheme etc. to limited to just a few types. When a movie takes a person to a completely different world the viewer has time to adjust. Also the traveling tends not to be or doesn't feel like any greatly large distance on the level of Greece to India. This helps to make
everything feel more connected and cohesive and allow the viewer time to notice details. And gives the movie a feeling of traveling from point (a) to point (b) which makes it feel more like real life than jumping around everywhere quickly and suddenly. Alex the great may have traveled much but it wasn't all a wizz and time travel was never involved. Alexander follows these styles in a minimal way and ends up feeling kinda like several movies because it lacks a seamless, gradually transitionally, linear, visual experience.

And a movie for many people is not something to watch and then think about, discuss later. And many have limited knowledge of history or certain areas like alexander. The may not even be history fans. Thus their not interested in figuring out what the movie means. They just want to whatch a good movie and let the movie explain itself. Which means that cohesion and flow in a since mean more than ideas. A honorable approach but one that does limit the aspects that can be appreciated.

Another main aspect to successful films is a coordination between the characters mental journey and his physical journey. There is usually a change in him or a struggle to accomplish something that even if internal can be sensed in the film. This usually goes in stages that be decently defined and that follows a pattern form point (a) to point (b) and follows and parraells the visual journey. It also works best when the visual and audio symbolize to a degree what is happening onscreen. In addition the characters personal journey is often reflected and connected to what he is doing. Also the character is usually a achiever who affects the world him. The amount and type of achieving changes depending upon his stage of character development. Again the movie doesn't adequately follow this style. Alexander himself spend much of the movie dealing with issues of
small scope whose connection to the grand scope of traveling exploring and fighting is often not, at least not obviously apparent. Despite the fact the movie keeps reminding us of it with speeches and fighting and such. Alex also keeps making decision that are heavily influenced by other
people especially his parents. Despite the fact that alexander was one of history's greatest achievers changeing the world, the world in the movie keeps changing him which makes him seem weak and lacking creativity and conquering drive.

Thats all I have to say.
Ely

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I must say that for me the movie didnt fail, except for here in the USA, However I do agree with you on most of your points on why it failed here and why some people didnt understand this great movie.
GLENDALEFALCON

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to go off topic here, but who is that cutie stud in your avatar
Ely? And, do you have more pics of him? Thanks!

Alexander failed in North America because of a horrible release date,
poorly structured trailers, and terrible posters that didn't make one person
have a strong desire to see the film. Warner Bros. dropped the ball...NOT
Oliver Stone!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: