Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greetings from Texas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexandria

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Greetings from Texas Reply with quote

Hello! I'm obviously new here, just wanted to say hi. I've only read a couple of books on Alexander, but am awaiting the arrival of my biography on Ptolemy. I have a general interest in history, but for some reason have been drawn to Alexander and his life over the past 2 years (definitely before the movie came out). Right now I wish to learn more about Ptolemy, as there isn't much out there about him (book-wise).

Anyway, I'm glad to find this site, as it's almost impossible to find someone around here who is as excited as I am to discuss this subject! And FYI, history is my hobby, so I am not schooled in it, i.e. forgive any future mistakes I might make Wink

Gracias!
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alexandria!

Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy being here with us. I know about someone who will be excited to see that another member from Texas has joined Very Happy .
cindoo15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Alexandria!!

I am excited to see another Texan onboard! Hope to see you around.

Pam
joanna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi , Alexandria. You are at the right place ! Everybody here likes Alexander and history, in general.

WELCOME, my friend Very Happy
apelles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexandria,welcome to the BEST Alexander forum.Hope you find a lot here to interest you.Great that you found us.Please don,t worry about making mistakes,we,re all learning together and having a great time doing it. Very Happy
Adriv

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Alexandria!! enjoy your stay. We like to toast to our new friends and Alexander of course.

Cheers! Very Happy
cindoo15

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Texas Reply with quote

Alexandria wrote:
Hello! I'm obviously new here, just wanted to say hi. I've only read a couple of books on Alexander, but am awaiting the arrival of my biography on Ptolemy. I have a general interest in history, but for some reason have been drawn to Alexander and his life over the past 2 years (definitely before the movie came out). Right now I wish to learn more about Ptolemy, as there isn't much out there about him (book-wise).

Anyway, I'm glad to find this site, as it's almost impossible to find someone around here who is as excited as I am to discuss this subject! And FYI, history is my hobby, so I am not schooled in it, i.e. forgive any future mistakes I might make Wink

Gracias!

I don't believe that any of the regulars here are professional historians - it's a hobby for us as well.

Actually, I was responding here again because I was wondering where the other Texan has gone off to! Hope you join us again. We do have an honorary Texan with us though - apelles, I call her an honorary Texan because I've gotten her to use the term 'yall'! Did you ever get your book about Ptolemy? He would be an interesting person to find out more about.
Alexandria

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know that history is a hobby for most of y'all too Wink Sorry, had to throw that in.

Yes, I received the book on Ptolemy just last week and am in the midsts of reading it. Apparently it's the only biography ever written about him, as not a whole lot is known about his life. So far it's pretty much verifying my views on him, but is definitely giving me much more information than I've found in the past. I know as I go through I'll be posting some questions and comments about it, especially in reference to the movie.
apelles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Greetings from Texas Reply with quote

[quote="cindoo15"]
Alexandria wrote:

Actually, I was responding here again because I was wondering where the other Texan has gone off to! Hope you join us again.We do have an honorary Texan with us though - apelles, I call her an honorary Texan because I've gotten her to use the term 'yall'! Did you ever get your book about Ptolemy? He would be an interesting person to find out more about.

Laughing Laughing I,m so flattered!Where do I get the big hat and a pair of those incredible boots?Must have the spurs too.Do you remember that guitarist,Stevie Ray Vaughan?Well,if you do,that,s the look I,m going for. Laughing
Alexandria,I,m glad your research on Ptolemy is going o.k.When you finish the book,could you tell us what you thought of it?It,s quite hard to see beyond the dazzle of Alexander to his officers,but I think they,re the most remarkably talented bunch of people in their own right.
Alexandria

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie Ray Vaughn?! We have a statue of him in our city, so I know EXACTLY who you're talking about Very Happy

I'll definitely let y'all know what I think of the Ptolemy book. It's quite short, so it shouldn't take long. And you're right, Alexander's officers were extremely talented, Ptolemy especially. Not just while Alexander was alive, but long thereafter.
apelles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Alexandria wrote:
Stevie Ray Vaughn?! We have a statue of him in our city, so I know EXACTLY who you're talking about Very Happy
Of course,you,re from Austin!!A statue!Well I never knew that.What a fantastic guitarist he was. Very Happy

Quote:
I'll definitely let y'all know what I think of the Ptolemy book. It's quite short, so it shouldn't take long. And you're right, Alexander's officers were extremely talented, Ptolemy especially. Not just while Alexander was alive, but long thereafter.

Thanks,that would be great.I found a good site on Alexander,s successors,including quite a lot on Ptolemy,s career after Alexander but it,s some time ago and I need to root round and look for the details.Would this be any good for you?
Alexandria

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure! I really like seeing different perspectives from different historians. It helps me form my own conclusions. The same applies with Alexander too, as it's obvious that so many people disagree on certain aspects of his life & military conquests. Feel free to let me know if you find it. Thanks!
apelles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.k the site is The Successors of Alexander the Great and the web address is http://***.co.uk/bobbbennett .My links never work so I don,t bother anymore so hope you can find it from this.I checked it today to see if it was still active and it is.There,s a whole section on Ptolemy.Enjoy Very Happy
apelles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it worked after all!! :lol:That,s a first then Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: