Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which day in the life of Alexander would you choose to share
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apelles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Which day in the life of Alexander would you choose to share Reply with quote

If you had the chance to share a day in the life of Alexander,which twenty four hours would you choose?
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The day he entered Babylon, at the top of his glory.
cindoo15

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful choice Alexandros_20. The first thing that came to my mind was Troy. He must have dreamed of this ever since he first heard the stories as a child even before he could read them.
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cindoo15 wrote:
Wonderful choice Alexandros_20. The first thing that came to my mind was Troy. He must have dreamed of this ever since he first heard the stories as a child even before he could read them.

Come on, confess. You want to be present at that ceremony, see them naked. Laughing
cindoo15

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing I swear, the thought never crossed my mind. Really Alexandros_20 - what kind of morals do you think I have?

OK, I admit, I'd offer to rub them down in oil first!!!!

Honestly, that is appealing, but it wasn't my main reason for choosing Troy. I think Alexander must have been ecstatic at his visit there.
Adriv

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to be a fly on the wall and see Alexander and Hephaestion on their first time together. Razz Embarassed did I say that? Wink

No, no.... I would I agree with Alexandros_19 and cindoo15. Babylon and Troy are the keepers Smile
Confused Well, they are so many of them not sure which one....
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about you Apelles? What day would you choose?
Leonnatus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would choose the mutiny in the foothills of Kashmir and the clash of opinions between Coenus and Alexander. It must have been electrifying. Cool
apelles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexandros_19 wrote:

Well,I probably should go for one of those blockbuster days like Babylon or Troy but I,m actually going to opt for an ordinary day on campaign.I want to see Alexander going about his routine business,waking up,having his bath,sacrificing,having his breakfast and starting his daily work.It would give me a chance to see the real man,without the extreme emotions.I,d like to see him interacting with his soldiers and I could get a good look at all his officers and companions.I want to see him take Bucephalus out for exercise,see the couriers coming in with information,sit in on a meeting with his staff and listen to his planning, watch him in his office,see what he,s reading and eating.Then later I could see him at dinner,find out what made him laugh,see how much he drank and later have a good nose around his tent.I might even find out if he was alone when he went to bed,but I don,t think I,ll let any of you into the secret. Laughing
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apelles wrote:
Alexandros_19 wrote:

Well,I probably should go for one of those blockbuster days like Babylon or Troy but I,m actually going to opt for an ordinary day on campaign.I want to see Alexander going about his routine business,waking up,having his bath,sacrificing,having his breakfast and starting his daily work.It would give me a chance to see the real man,without the extreme emotions.I,d like to see him interacting with his soldiers and I could get a good look at all his officers and companions.I want to see him take Bucephalus out for exercise,see the couriers coming in with information,sit in on a meeting with his staff and listen to his planning, watch him in his office,see what he,s reading and eating.Then later I could see him at dinner,find out what made him laugh,see how much he drank and later have a good nose around his tent.I might even find out if he was alone when he went to bed,but I don,t think I,ll let any of you into the secret. Laughing

Laughing You practically made me imagine an entire day in his life.
joanna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apelles wrote:
Alexandros_19 wrote:

I'm with you. I'd like to share ( of course Babylon and Troy ) but other not so glorious days, as well.

I have one in my mind that I would LOVE to pass it with Alexander.It's the 28 par. in the new list on Plutarch's.

- When Alexander got ill after bathing in the river Cydnus just before the battle of Issus. By the way, mentiong bathing, do you remember when I wrote somewhere that Alexander couldn't swim ? I knew I had read it before but I couldn't remember where. Well, Plutarch wrote it ! I remember reading it ( in Greek ) years ago but I couldn't recall the 'swimming' thing.
Let's go back to Alexander being ill in bed and all the doctors were afraid to do anything in case of failure.
But Philip, the Acarnanian ( I'd say Philip the Brave !) didn't refuse to do something and prepared a cure.
At that moment a letter arrived, written by Parmenion and was given to Alexander, saying that his doctor was bribed to kill him. And the doctor came in with the potion and handed it to Alexander in order to drink it.
Alexander took it, started driking it and at the same time gave the doctor the letter to read it. As Plutarch says ( very well !) : " This was a spectacle well worth being present at, to see Alexander take the draught and Philip read the letter at the same time, and then turn and look upon one another, but with different sentiments; ffor Alexander's looks werecheerful and open, to show his kindness to and confidence in his physician, while the other was full of surprise and alarm at the accusation, appealing to the gods to witness his innocence....."
Oh, yes I would like to be there that moment to see their facial expressions. Like Plutarch says ( in the 1st par. ) : "...an expression or a jest, informs us better of their characters than the most famous sieges...or the bloodiest battles... "
cindoo15

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apelles wrote:
Alexandros_19 wrote:

You are right apelles - that would be perfect.
isela

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful question!!!!
after think about it a lot I should choose the wedding with Roxane Twisted Evil Im Kidding what a terrible day Rolling Eyes
seriously I think I would like to be in the battle at Granicus to see the miracle in person. how this young man could end with that great power of the persians. Nobody trusted he could do it but ... he is ALEXANDER
I cant imagine all stuff of armours, swords, horses between other animals the passion of the Macedonian king playing with fire, playing by chance, he needed to win it all, to open the Persian doors and well that battle was the key.
cindoo15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I have another choice? How could I have picked anything but the day he reached the Outer Ocean? ME, of all people, to have overlooked the climax of exploration!!!!

You see, Alexander was forced by his men to turn back from reaching the Outer Ocean but Alexander wasn't going to let that stop him. He redirected his expedition and reached the Ocean anyway! He must have been very happy indeed. Very Happy
cindoo15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexandros_19 wrote:
cindoo15 wrote:

Come on, confess. You want to be present at that ceremony, see them naked. Laughing

Alexandros_20, what baseness of character have I shown to make you think such a thing of me?

OK, I know, I already replied to this comment by Alexandros_20, but I thought of this quote from Alexander and just had to use it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: