Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What an awful movie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catherine X

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always amazes me why people bother to search out a forum devoted to a subject that they hated. How do they find the time? I certainly don't watch a film, think 'oh that was rubbish', then go and find a forum devoted to it and start writing about how much I hated it.

I am not particularly singling out Tiamasp but all the posters on the Alexander forum who come along to say how much they hated Alexander. Why bother? Just go and talk about things that you enjoyed- life's too short Rolling Eyes
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Catherine, my thoughts exactly.

The imdb.com site is famous for what you just mentioned. There are so many negative posts about Alexander (and many other films, as well) that have been posted over there. It doesn't make any sense to fill up a forum with negative garbage. What is the point? I agree, it is a waste of time. If you like a film thats great, then join in and talk about it. If you don't like it then move on and find something else. There enough films out there to fit everyones taste.

I know I wouldn't bother to post about a film I didn't like. It's more fun to converse about something that I enjoyed.

You are right, life's too short.

Dara Smile
Nell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No but you see, that's the point; people who go to forums to bash movies aren't wasting their time because it's not about the movie. Obviously if a movie gets you so annoyed you do that, there's something else going on. All I can imagine is that people try to feel smart by bashing Oliver's interpretation... well that's just not my style I guess. We don't need to bash others to feel like we know something - like I said.
apelles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said girls,ladies or whatever.I wish that people would realise that what is being revealed by these vitriolic comments is not the merit of the film or book,but their own particular issues.I don,t mean legitimate,constructive criticism but the sort of destructive stuff which is often the result of a particular set of prejudices.You wouldn,t believe the sad people who logged in to review sites day after day to slam my beloved Brokeback,just to get the overall rating down from A+.The hatred was frightening.Of course all their efforts achieved was to re-inforce the central message of the film,so as we say over here,they scored an own goal! Laughing
It,s very true that life,s too short.
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice posts, ladies. However I have to quibble just a bit with you, Nell (with all respect, of course). I agree that the bashing of something does indicate another underlying problem (not to sound too analytical, here). I also agree that it isn't about the movie. Everyone is entitled to criticize and express their opinion. If people want to talk about something, I feel it should be done in a manner that doesn't degrade, tear down or bash someone else. There are plenty of ways to do this.

It's healthy to have debates about various subjects, if it's done in a manner that promotes respect. Those that choose to tear down, bash or degrade are wasting their time posting on message boards. I realize it might make them feel like they know something, but unfortunately, these are signs of issues that a message board isn't going to solve.

Dara Smile

I forgot to tell you that I really enjoyed your post on the previous page. You hit the nail on the head! Nice job!!
Nell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Dara I definately agree Smile

Debates are healthy for the mind! I'm all pro Smile but like you said; it should be done in the right manner. And this post just was too edgy in that way for my liking.
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct. I was just quibbling about posting negative stuff in any form, that is a waste of time.

The post was edgy, I agree. There were some elements in it that were uncalled for. Name calling would be one of them. Just because someone doesn't get it "right" in their opinion, doesn't deserve to called a deragatory name. I think thats a bit below the belt.

If people don't like Alexander, thats fine with me. I don't have a problem with it. I don't expect anyone to like it because I do. It would just be nice to see posts that don't stoop to slandering (and I have seen plenty of those). I prefer people just state their points and back them up intelligently without bashing everyone and everything associated with the film (and "it sucked" is not stating a point). There is pro and cons to everything, as we know. Debates are good if they are healthy ones. It's once they cross the line, they become a waste of time.

What I posted here is all elementary and obvious stuff. But, I have seen so much more venom thrown at this film and much less of the real thought provoking, intelligent debates, for and against. Thats the part I find sad.

Dara Smile
Nell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Dara Smile with every word you said.

I don't care if people like or dislike Alexander. What does get on my nerves, like I said in the first topic I posted 'criticism', is people talking like they know better. Like they're more expert than I am. I am not saying I am an expert - not nearly - but I don't like being lectured, especially not when it's about history, which is supposed to be my craft, too.
apelles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we,re all in agreement here.I get the impression that Alexander is seen as an easy target because many people jumped onto the bandwagon of the unfavourable early write-ups without really assessing the movie dispassionately and objectively.I really don,t care if other people hate it,that,s their perogative,as long as their reasons are intelligently and politely expressed.What I don,t like is a lecture on why I,m an ignorant moron if I do like it.
I don,t rate any criticism which needs to make a point by using unqualified derogatory remarks.If that happens,then it,s failed as a considered and substantiated argument.
Adriv

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I toast to that!
Nell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the basher in question has nothing left to say Rolling Eyes ?
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously not!

Dara Smile
Nell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad! I was really looking foreward to some intelligent debate *lol*

But then again, maybe my post was too moronic Rolling Eyes Razz
Catherine X

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people that spend ages writing negative stuff on message boards just have too much time on their hands and many issues to deal with. They don't have anyone else to talk about it with, so write anonymous hatred to make themselves feel better. Sad but true. Why don't they do something constructive and positive to help themselves? There are so many of them, there is something wrong in society Confused
Nell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ancient history teacher actually devoted a part of an article of his to breaking "Alexander" and Oliver Stone down... I feel sorry for the man, I really do. He loves Alexander the Great, but he's so obsessed with his job he can't even enjoy a piece of art.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: