Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hello
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parrhasius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: hello Reply with quote

Hello everybody
is my message getting through first ?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Parrhasius! Welcome to the forum.
apelles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Parrhasius. Very Happy I hope you enjoy all the topics up for discussion.
Adriv

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Parrhasius!!

Have a sit and enjoy the stay...... and if you drink? grab a glass of wine and cheer with us... To Alexander! Wink

I'm always welcome people with a drink, they all probably think I'm a drunk! Embarassed Laughing
cindoo15

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!! Always happy to see new people join us.
philalexandros

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome in Smile
Parrhasius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well , thanks for the warm welcome people ,

I suppose we all have something in common here....I wonder how miuch is our own fantasy about great Alex or love of historical inquiry, link to presenty day politics of the region he origniated from or purely the love of a splendid film .

I must confess as an Anglo Greek ( i.e I was born in Nicosia , but brought up in London ), I have always had a yearning to come to terms with my dual nationality and when being an outsider at times and feeling rejected by my peers many years ago, I did delve into something of the past , something of history that said good things about Greeks (as racism was more blatant and acceptable those days) . I discovered that the history was not only the history of a small penninsula and countless islands but that is was the history of the western world!

So I guess I have a kind of romnatic sense of awe and idealism of a place and time that I once belonged . I realised on my trips to modern Greece and Cyprus that I didn't fully belong there either as I was Englilsh from t heir perspective.......... So I still cling to the possibly false notion that there was a time and place that I really belonged and associate myself with many Great individuals of which Alex is just one of those many .

And what an achiever , partly ruthless , unforgiving and headstrong yet at times compassionate and open minded . What a warrior king and shrewd politician........Or our these notions purerly shrouded in myth not enablling us to kknow the real Alexander?......What ever we think of him he cannot easily be dismissed.

I also know that these kind of sites have reputation for attracting folk who stage pitched cyberbattles of claiming Alexander and his brilliance as their own kinsman for political purposes and denyin g eachothers' views or historical constructs.

I would like to avoiod these debates and embrace my Slavic brothers and sisters as well as all other human beings and ask you all what does Alexander mean to you ? what are you really interested in about the man?

What role or gap in your life does he fill ? or is this phenomenon
purely a pop cuklt : a hero cult almost to the level of a superman comic convention to you?

Please give me your views,

Also I would like to take the opportunity to congratulate Oliver Stone , Colin Farrell ( who was an Excellent Alex,) and all who took part to making a beautiful film ,

Your views please.....

peace be with you
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
apelles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again Parrhasius.You are very welcome here.I found your post very interesting.You,ve obviously thought deeply about Alexander and his part in your life.I think everybody here has probably done the same.
Quote:
I also know that these kind of sites have reputation for attracting folk who stage pitched cyberbattles of claiming Alexander and his brilliance as their own kinsman for political purposes and denying each others' views or historical constructs.

Well you don,t need to worry about that here.Everyone,s opinion is respected and nationalistic debates are not allowed,so we can get on with enjoying sharing ideas without friction. Very Happy
Quote:
I would like to avoiod these debates and embrace my Slavic brothers and sisters as well as all other human beings and ask you all what does Alexander mean to you ? what are you really interested in about the man.What role or gap in your life does he fill ? or is this phenomenon
purely a pop cuklt : a hero cult almost to the level of a superman comic convention to you?

Sounds like you.ll enjoy it here!What does he mean to me?Well,if you,ve an hour or two...... Laughing I first came across his story around three years ago in fiction and I thought if half the story was true,then this has to be the best story in history.So I set out to read everything I could find and I was hooked.The more I learned,the more there was to learn.In short,the man captured my imagination and has never let it go.I,m interested in all sorts of things,from how he thought,what motivated him,his cultural background,his private life.his astounding military genius,his vision.....I could go on,but I expect you got the gist. Very Happy Swapping ideas and discussing him with other people has been just great.

Quote:
Also I would like to take the opportunity to congratulate Oliver Stone , Colin Farrell ( who was an Excellent Alex,) and all who took part to making a beautiful film ,

Can you believe we,re still discussing it!
Now can I ask if your user name is the artist Parrhasius?If it is,then greetings from Apelles!

Quote:
peace be with you
[/quote]
And you.
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apelles wrote:
Hello again Parrhasius.You are very welcome here.I found your post very interesting.You,ve obviously thought deeply about Alexander and his part in your life.I think everybody here has probably done the same.
Quote:
I also know that these kind of sites have reputation for attracting folk who stage pitched cyberbattles of claiming Alexander and his brilliance as their own kinsman for political purposes and denying each others' views or historical constructs.

Well you don,t need to worry about that here.Everyone,s opinion is respected and nationalistic debates are not allowed,so we can get on with enjoying sharing ideas without friction. Very Happy

In the very beginning of this forum there were some nationalistic debates, but now we've reached new times and the forum has been captured by the fanatic Alexandrians. Laughing
joanna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parrhasius, Apelles has already welcomed you. Now it's my turn to welcome a fellow artist.

A BIG W E L C O M E from Euphranor !!!

(PS. Eh, what could I do ? Parrhasius here, Apelles there, I had to be an artist, too Rolling Eyes )
joanna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, what can I see ? Alexandros_19 is back Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Parrhasius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone and thanks for your replies.

Adriv, thanks for the offer of wine , which I will drink to your health!

Appelles and Joanna/Euphhranor , Yes the name adopted is of one of the many painters of Ancient Greece from who unfortunately we have no real works handed down, I used this name because it's very rarely taken up by someone else and also because of my passion for art , I stll paint although I have failed at making a living form it full time( I have had my moments though). I believe the real Parrhasius did a portrait of Alex , correct me if I'm wrong I don't know too much about the ancient painters. Appelles , I think was known for vase paintings? ...

Tell me more about Euphranor , I confess I know nothing of him or her?

I guess both of you must of heard of Zeuxis .....If not there is a juscy story handed down by the ancients concerning a competition between
Parrhasius and Zeuxis, if you have not read it I will be happy to tell it .

Peace be with you

Parrhasius
Parrhasius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

correction from previous message ' juicy story' .......why can't we edit ?
P
apelles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Parrhasius"]
Quote:
Appelles and Joanna/Euphhranor , Yes the name adopted is of one of the many painters of Ancient Greece from who unfortunately we have no real works handed down, I used this name because it's very rarely taken up by someone else and also because of my passion for art , I stll paint although I have failed at making a living form it full time( I have had my moments though). I believe the real Parrhasius did a portrait of Alex , correct me if I'm wrong I don't know too much about the ancient painters. Appelles , I think was known for vase paintings? ...

It,s lovely to have another art enthusiast on board!Joanna and I have been tackling some stuff on an Alexander theme and swapping it back and forth.It,s a lot of fun.I,d be really interested to know what sort of painting you,re interested in....subjects,media etc.
I know practically nothing about Parrhasius,except that he was a jolly sort of soul who sang as he painted...is that right or have I got my wires crossed?About Apelles doing vase paintings I know nothing but that doesn,t mean he didn,t.I,ve found three references to him doing portraits;one of Alexander where he got the skin tone too dark,one of Bucephalas which Alexander didn,t think was very lifelike until they brought the horse in and it neighed at the picture,whereupon Apelles told Alexander that the horse was a better judge of painting than he was Laughing Finally Alexander got Apelles to do a nude of Campaspe,his mistress,and Apelles took such an age to do it that Alexander realised that Apelles was in love with her so Alexander handed her over to him.Don,t know if I believe that one,but it,s a good story. Cool
Cheers for now.
joanna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about you, guys, but I ( I'm the Euphranor, let's not mix the names, ok ? Very Happy ) did a very nice statue of Alexander. A photo of it is on the cover of Arrian's book ( Penguin Edition )

As for you two, Apelles,you should be more careful about Alexander's skin tone next time ( my god, it's too dark ! Shocked ) and you Parrhasius is about time you made a portrait of his !

Come on, work !

Ok, now I'm serious.
How nice to read that you paint, too, Parrhasius. Tell us more about it.

Yeah, the story of 'Zeuxis and Parrhasious ' is so funny. I must have heard about it when I was at school in Athens but I read it recently again in a book written by Luciano De Crescenzo. Do you know him ? He is good.
Anyway here is the story :

Zeuxis and Parrhasius
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Jump to: navigation, search

'Zeuxis and Parrhasius, painters of Ephesus in the 5th century BC, are reported in the Naturalis Historia of Pliny the Elder to have staged a contest to determine which of the two was the greater artist. When Zeuxis unveiled his painting of grapes, they appeared so luscious and inviting that birds flew down from the sky to peck at them. Zeuxis then asked Parrhasius to pull aside the curtain from his painting. When it was discovered that the curtain itself was Parrhasius' painting, Zeuxis was forced to concede defeat, for while his work had managed to fool the eyes of birds, Parrhasius had deceived the eyes of an artist.

Zeuxis' most notable works included Helen, Zeus Enthroned, and The Infant Hercules Strangling the Serpent. He is said to have laughed to death at one of his own paintings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: