Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hello
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parrhasius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings !

it's nice to be amongst so many Alexander fanatics but even more of a happy coincidence to immediately come accross two that are involved in visual art!

Apelles: apologies , I think I am the one who got the cross line, Some how must have confused Apelles with another .......I did remember reading in Lane Fox's biography of A that various painters did protraits of him but cannot swear which names were mentioned I guess that Apelles was one of them.

Joanna, well thanks for submitting the story of Z v P , It's so meaty it is the type of story one loves to tell.......

I wish I could say much about my paintings but at this time I work very slowly and indecisively , have had more inclination to do gag cartoons, comic strips (None have been published ), and personalised greetings cards for my family members than anything else . I had a spell as a' pavement artist' doing portaits in Ayia Nappa and Larnaca Cyprus, many years ago , my finest moment could have been when I was a mere 21 years old doing a pretty weak copy of part of Caravaggio's Supper at Eamaus directly from the original in the National Gallery London: The BBC happened to be making a film about stolen Caravaggios and wow! I was filmed for a few seconds whilst painting, I was thrilled at the time.

Better not bore you more, but still I remain a Caravaggio fanatic, cannot get over this genius 's work! also like Michelangelo , Rembrandt , courbet, Delacroix and many more....

Now tell me about yoursleves please

peace be with you all
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
apelles

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parrhasius wrote:
Quote:
Greetings !

it's nice to be amongst so many Alexander fanatics but even more of a happy coincidence to immediately come accross two that are involved in visual art!

Yes isn,t it great! Very Happy We,ve had so much fun with it.
Quote:
I wish I could say much about my paintings but at this time I work very slowly and indecisively , have had more inclination to do gag cartoons, comic strips (None have been published ), and personalised greetings cards for my family members than anything else . I had a spell as a' pavement artist' doing portaits in Ayia Nappa and Larnaca Cyprus, many years ago , my finest moment could have been when I was a mere 21 years old doing a pretty weak copy of part of Caravaggio's Supper at Eamaus directly from the original in the National Gallery London: The BBC happened to be making a film about stolen Caravaggios and wow! I was filmed for a few seconds whilst painting, I was thrilled at the time.

How interesting.The pavement artist thing impresses me no end.I have a fit if anyone tries to watch me painting,it breaks my concentration Sad Hope you kept a recording of your finest hour on the B.B.C. Smile
Quote:
Better not bore you more, but still I remain a Caravaggio fanatic, cannot get over this genius 's work! also like Michelangelo , Rembrandt , courbet, Delacroix and many more....

Now tell me about yoursleves please

Well I use mainly watercolour or pastels and I also work very slowly in that I,m never satisfied with the end result and frequently bin stuff other people think is O.k.It drives them bats but I don,t see the point in being uncritical.At the moment I feel like drawing rather than painting,Maybe I need to feel more in control.I don,t know if you use watercolour but it has a mind of it,s own! Laughing
What do I like?I love artists who can paint light,so it,s Vermeer,Caravaggio of course Very Happy ,the Impressionists,Turner,s later watercolours,especially of Venice etc.I love Durer,s drawings,also those of Leonardo and Michelangelo.Could go on forever....... Smile
Quote:
peace be with you all

You too.Cheers for now.PS.This has to be the longest "hello"in the history of the forum!Do you think we should remove ourselves to the General Discussion section and form an artists corner?
Parrhasius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings ,
yes Apelles I think it would be a good Idea to do a separate 'art corner' in fact there are some interesting sites specifically for this , I stumbled accross one once then lost it when pc crashed ; they are full of people exchanging ideas and practical tips , very interesting.

Well I always found water colours frustrating and too 'watery' but that says more about my inadequacies, when used well they can be as substantial as oils. I share your taste for Turner as one of the greatest .

I understand what you said about pavement work , I was terrified at first and tried to hide it , eventually started to see it as more of a street entertainer's job than anything else and managed to detach my self from praise and redicule alike which I had to put up with. It did give me a chance to gain some job satisfaction with the understanding that many of my portraits were appreciated and hung in various homes in far corners of the world. Apart from that I have sporadically sold mostly portraits, copies or mock byzantine icons on a part time basis.

Have you ever worked with vinyl paints ? I thoroughly recommend them as bettter than 'arty' acrylics , they are very versatile and cheap as well as durable, have done a few copies of famous paintings for people with these , was shown a technique by an old Greek painter who used these to start then ended same picture with oils to excellent effect .

Do you make full time living from your drawings and paintings?

peace be with you

Parrhasius
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
apelles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Parrhasius"]
Quote:
Greetings ,
yes Apelles I think it would be a good Idea to do a separate 'art corner'

I,ll open a separate topic on the General discussion section so anyone who might be interested can talk.
Quote:
Well I always found water colours frustrating and too 'watery' but that says more about my inadequacies, when used well they can be as substantial as oils.

Tell me about it! Laughing The great problem is to get depth of tone and richness of colour without losing the freshness and overworking,wouldn,t you say?Lets just say I,m still working on it.
Quote:
I understand what you said about pavement work , I was terrified at first and tried to hide it , eventually started to see it as more of a street entertainer's job than anything else and managed to detach my self from praise and redicule alike which I had to put up with. It did give me a chance to gain some job satisfaction with the understanding that many of my portraits were appreciated and hung in various homes in far corners of the world. Apart from that I have sporadically sold mostly portraits, copies or mock byzantine icons on a part time basis.

Yes it,s extraordinarily difficult to stay detached and focused when people comment as though you,re not there.One of my painting buddies swears the only way to put them off pestering is to get his back to a wall and occasionally flourish a soaking brush near them. Laughing I agree it,s a fantastic buzz when people buy your work and get pleasure out of owning it.My dad once got arrested in in Venice for causing an obstruction painting and selling his work without a permit.They let him out eventually,complete with permit but my mother was completely mortified and swore "never again" but it didn,t stop him.!
Quote:
Have you ever worked with vinyl paints ? I thoroughly recommend them as bettter than 'arty' acrylics , they are very versatile and cheap as well as durable, have done a few copies of famous paintings for people with these , was shown a technique by an old Greek painter who used these to start then ended same picture with oils to excellent effect .

Do you make full time living from your drawings and paintings?

No I,ve never tried that--sounds interesting.What a good idea.I,ve not experimented with acrylics much because I find them a bit static after watercolour,but vinyl might be a good way in without going the whole hog.Thanks for that.No I can,t make a living out of this.I do it part time and do as many exhibitions as I can but I couldn,t rely on that income.I,m not in that league.I find a big problem is that I,m not very prolific.I can,t work to order so things go slowly.
Are you working on anything at the moment?I know Joanna is planning a big Alexander themed painting just now,so we,ll see what happens.
Talk to you later on the General Discussion section.Cheers for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: