Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alexander's Death
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philalexandros

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Alexander's Death Reply with quote

I know that this topic would have been commented on and debated a thousand times however, What i find interesting is the dense veil of mystery covering the burial of Alexander The Great, Philip's son.
Just wanted to mention the fact that i strongly believe his body was burried in Alexandria. The soothsayers predicted that in which ever city his body was burried in would become the most prosporus city, and indeed as Alexander wished after his death his city became the center of learning,with the brightest minds gathered there. I'm certain that his fellow soldiers burried him there and that was the place in which he would be burried with honour i believe. I have also read from some historical accounts that his body was left alone for a few days while his generals were fighting for the empire,which i have strong reason to beileve also. But there is no place other than Alexandria in Egypt, or possibly in his hometown of Pella,Macedonia that his body should and very strongly is burried.
Adriv

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Alexander's Death Reply with quote

philalexandros wrote:
I know that this topic would have been commented on and debated a thousand times however, What i find interesting is the dense veil of mystery covering the burial of Alexander The Great, Philip's son.
Just wanted to mention the fact that i strongly believe his body was burried in Alexandria. The soothsayers predicted that in which ever city his body was burried in would become the most prosporus city, and indeed as Alexander wished after his death his city became the center of learning,with the brightest minds gathered there. I'm certain that his fellow soldiers burried him there and that was the place in which he would be burried with honour i believe. I have also read from some historical accounts that his body was left alone for a few days while his generals were fighting for the empire,which i have strong reason to beileve also. But there is no place other than Alexandria in Egypt, or possibly in his hometown of Pella,Macedonia that his body should and very strongly is burried.

It is a strong possibilty that he is in Egypt, he was actually sent there went Ptolomy was there. I'm sure Ptolomy hide him there and keep it a secret just because everybody wanted The Great's body.
Who knows! Confused we'll never know ...won't we?
philalexandros

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I guess we will never know.. But who knows maybe we might?
Leonnatus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Alexandros would have preferred Siwa since that was where he was told he was the Son of Zeus/Ammon. It was a sensational experience for him and remained uppermost in his mind always. Political power-play probably ensured that it was Alexandria given that whoever had The Great's body carried a lot of political and ideological weight which is why Ptolemy hijacked it from Perdikkas' followers.
joanna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leonnatus wrote:
I think Alexandros would have preferred Siwa since that was where he was told he was the Son of Zeus/Ammon. It was a sensational experience for him and remained uppermost in his mind always. Political power-play probably ensured that it was Alexandria given that whoever had The Great's body carried a lot of political and ideological weight which is why Ptolemy hijacked it from Perdikkas' followers.

VERY VERY TRUE ! I completely agree with you.
cindoo15

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the specifics right now but it is certain that Alexanders body was in Alexandria for centuries due to reports of Augustus and possibly Julius (don't recall for certain but I think Julius Caesar saw him) visiting his remains.

It is reported that Augustus actually broke his (Alexanders) nose - I don't recall, he fell on him or something like that. Shocked

Although, this could have been some other mummy and the real body was somewhere else!!! I don't think so but that thought just crossed my mind.

His body seems to have disappeared some time around the 4th or 5th centuries and there are some interesting theories as to where it may be now.

In a rush - but very interesting topic.
Cynisca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have recently been doing a little research into Alexandros's death and possible last resting place.
I had also wondered what reasons were behind Ptolemy waylaying the funeral cortege of Alex and taking his remains to Egypt.
It is debatable whether Alex would have preferred to be buried at Aigai, Siwa or Alexandria and if he had actually made his wishes known to Perdikkas or Ptolemy, especially if the latter was his half brother as rumoured.
He was embalmed in honey, which was also used by the Eqyptians.
Honey will stop bacteria forming if the moisture level is kept at a certain level, so in theory taking Alex to Egypt may have preserved his body intact for longer.
Cynisca
Luna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the topic, but if alexanders tomb was found, would you make a pilgrimage? i know i would...
joanna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luna wrote:
Of the topic, but if alexanders tomb was found, would you make a pilgrimage? i know i would...

What a question, Luna ! Can you guess the answer ?
cindoo15

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanna wrote:
Luna wrote:

What a question, Luna ! Can you guess the answer ?

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!! Did I guess right?

I'd be right behind you - I might even run you over in my excitement! Laughing
Luna

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhhhhh!!!!! please dont run me over, i'll get out of the way! joanna yes i knew the answer i just wanted to hear it from you! Razz
Cynisca

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I most definitely would.... Razz !
Cynisca
philalexandros

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahaha who wouldn't!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Razz Smile
Parrhasius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings everyone

It is a fascinating mystery about Alexander's death , apparently , in his life time he achieved a hero or celebrity status and his name was known throughout Asia and parts of Africa (obviously to many with some dread).

How a warrior King who achieved this notoriety that few pwople achieved in history could die and be buried wihout t he word going around is strange to say the least.

Was there a political conspircy by his successors? or was it his wich that was honoured? only Zeus knows.

However , I do recall a Greek archaeologist some 10 0r 15 years ago claiming that she had found the grave of Alex in Alexandria, her claims were not apparently taken seriously by leading authorities and I haven't heard of her endeavour since. Does any one else know anything about her claims?

I wonder if the recent discovery of remains in Pella has any connection .
Sorry Philalexndros , I offer any more than this little waffle .
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cynisca

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
right first the Greek Lady was called Liana Souvlatzi and claimed to have found Alexander's tomb in El Maraqi near Siwah
http://i-cias.com/egypt/siwa12.htm
http://www.***/online/features/alexander/tomb.html

I came across this interesting Stargate Fan Fiction...Alexanders tomb etc......... Very Happy Very Happy
http://www.pandemonium.me.uk/stargate/atownlikealex1.htm
I have been reading that theory of Andrew Chugg's, about the remains of St Mark in Venice actually being those of Alex....and can see where he is getting ideas from:
The remains of St Mark appeared at around the time Alex's disappeared and from the same area of Alexandria.
St Mark's symbol is the winged lion....the ancient symbol of Babylon.
The first person to mention the winged lion of Babylon was St Daniel, Alexander was prophesised in the Book of Daniel and was rumoured to be buried under the Mosque of Nebi Daniel. (Mosque of Daniel the Prophet)
St Daniel has a lot to do with lions and so did Alex...
I would imagine that somewhere on Alex's sarcophagus or elsewhere was the winged lion symbol.
The remains are supposedly still complete enough to do a facial reconstruction and Andrew Chugg is trying to get permission for dna and carbon dating to see if the remains predate St. Mark.
I find this also rather interesting and entirely possible that these could be Alexander's remains, although was furious about the fact that if it is, he was left in a damp basement for years to fall apart....... Mad Evil or Very Mad
regards
Cynisca
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: