Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alexander's Death
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philalexandros

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, thank's for that Cynisca!
joanna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cindoo15 wrote:
joanna wrote:
Luna wrote:
Of the topic, but if alexanders tomb was found, would you make a pilgrimage? i know i would...

What a question, Luna ! Can you guess the answer ?

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!! Did I guess right?

I'd be right behind you - I might even run you over in my excitement! Laughing

Pam, I wrote just now in another topic " I miss you" to Alejandro.

I have to repeat it for you " I miss you", Pam Sad

And you Luna? Are you ok? Busy with school ?
joanna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why every time I read of Alexander’s illness and death I feel such a pain in my heart? Sometimes is unbearable. No exaggeration. I’m telling you, I really suffer reading about Alexander dying. He was conscious of that. Oh, yes, he was! Can you imagine how he was feeling those terrible moments…

And his men were outside waiting to see him. They asked for that, they begged. But Alexander was not coming out. They were not used to that. Alexander had never disappointed them; always there when was asked. So, they situation was serious. Suddenly they stopped behaving like children and they demanded to see their king. Their king? Alexander was more than that. Alexander was one of them. They could have sworn he was! They had seen him next to them fighting and struggling during battles. A real lion he was. They could touch him, they could hear him clearly. He was always there with them at the first rank. Setting an example. Surpass even himself. Alexander was a comrade. A brother. They, desperate men, had the right to know. Was he… dead?
A yell went up from them. “We want to see Alexander. Alexander come out. We want to see you.”
Alexander opened his eyes and tears started falling down. He could hear them. He couldn’t please them.
Now the men had become very upset. The situation was starting to get out of control. They rushed into the palace, pushing men, guards, doors open on their way. They reached Alexander’s chamber. It was a big room. Alexander was there, in his bed, in the middle. Death was also there, waiting impatiently, in a corner. Alexander asked for some more time. No wonder he got it! His men wanted to see him. They wanted to greet him for the last time. A farewell. He wouldn’t let them down. He made a strenuous effort to whisper: “Let them in”
The men’s fury vanished, quietly and with a strict obedience one by one passed through the open door and went near him. They held his hand and kissed him. All, one by one. A heartbreaking moment. Even for death who lowered his eyes and seemed to feel for Alexander.
Poor men! They tried hard to fight back tears. No success. Alexander was not able to utter a word any more. But for them it was not important. His eyes did the talk. Their expression said everything. All they wanted to hear. They showed signs of recognition for each one. Alexander’s eyes thanked them, all, one by one. A man of about his age came near him, knelt down, took his hand, kissed it and whispered to his ear: “ Alexander don’t let death fool you. You have already defeated him. He can’t harm you.” Alexander felt some of the man’s tears falling on his own face; they were mixed with his. That moment maybe Alexander had forgiven them. For hurting him so much. For refusing to go with him to the End of the World. Yes, they were all forgiven. It must be damn true!

Now, he was ready to leave. No more suffering. He had seen his men. He smiled. He nodded his head to death who slowly approached him showing a surprising respect. Alexander was ‘stronger’ than him and death knew it. He closed Alexander’s eyes gently; his last tears were still on his face. Then death took his hand and they left the room. They were ready for the big journey. And off they were heading for a land called …. ATHANASIA
.… IMMORTALITY
joanna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander found peace, at last. And I’ve lost mine Confused ! I’m writing these lines but I’m trembling. I don’t know what comes over me; I get so emotional every time I ‘reach’ Alexander’s death. It’s beyond my control. It’s always been like that. From my childhood. I remember…When a teacher or my beloved grandpa were starting to talk about his death, I was closing my eyes and all the above scene (in great detail) was coming to my mind. I could ‘see’ it. I was living every minute of it.
My God! I was so sad afterwards. You can’t imagine.

But WHO is he? Why am I so deeply affected by his death? Why does it hurt so much?
Why???
apelles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanna wrote:
Alexander found peace, at last. And I’ve lost mine Confused ! I’m writing these lines but I’m trembling. I don’t know what comes over me; I get so emotional every time I ‘reach’ Alexander’s death. It’s beyond my control. It’s always been like that. From my childhood. I remember…When a teacher or my beloved grandpa were starting to talk about his death, I was closing my eyes and all the above scene (in great detail) was coming to my mind. I could ‘see’ it. I was living every minute of it.
My God! I was so sad afterwards. You can’t imagine.

But WHO is he? Why am I so deeply affected by his death? Why does it hurt so much?
Why???

Because you,re a very warm-hearted,sympathetic person empathising with someone extraordinary. Smile
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joanna, there was so much feeling in your post. I liked the way you expressed it.
Cynisca

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joanna,
why does Alexander affect you so much...I would say you knew him and loved him in another lifetime...who you were I can't say, maybe the man who cried over him, maybe somebody else much closer...
I hope one day you find out....
regards
Cynisca
philalexandros

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Alexanders death, the Hellenistic age began (323-27BC.) :
When Greek culture spread throughout the Mediterranean.

Thought I'd mention the above point.
cindoo15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanna wrote:

Thank you so so much Joanna. I've missed yall too! Too much detail but I've been working too hard lately. Thanks so much, I'm glad to know you have thought about me. I do think about everyone here all the time but my schedule has been so very strange lately. I'm exhausted, honestly.

On the lighter side though; I'm still hoping to make it to Greece this summer. We're still working on a plan for that! Very Happy My mother-in-law has offered to keep my older daughters but she doesn't think she can handle the little one alone yet - we're thinking about sending them all WITH the babysitter! We'll see. I know Alexandros_20 is planning on coming - has anyone else decided for sure yet?
cindoo15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was incredible Joanna, you're post about Alexanders death. I could feel the pain. Very intense - great writing Joanna.
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cindoo15 wrote:
joanna wrote:

Thank you so so much Joanna. I've missed yall too! Too much detail but I've been working too hard lately. Thanks so much, I'm glad to know you have thought about me. I do think about everyone here all the time but my schedule has been so very strange lately. I'm exhausted, honestly.

On the lighter side though; I'm still hoping to make it to Greece this summer. We're still working on a plan for that! Very Happy My mother-in-law has offered to keep my older daughters but she doesn't think she can handle the little one alone yet - we're thinking about sending them all WITH the babysitter! We'll see. I know Alexandros_20 is planning on coming - has anyone else decided for sure yet?

Oh, I think Joanna will be happy when she reads this. At the moment we are the two confirmed, but I think Cynisca is also strongly considering it.
joanna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pam is so good to see you posting again. Yes, I had missed you.

Don't tell me that you can make it to Greece this summer???!!!
WOW! GREAT!
Please, please, try to come. We'll have a wonderful time. I feel it.
joanna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for the good words you said about my post on Alexander's death. I really feel like that. It hurts me.

Maybe Cynisca is right and I have met and loved him in another life. I'm sure I'd have loved him the moment I saw him but what worries me, Cynisca, is that : did he love me, too? Confused
Who could I be? The man who cried over him? Ok, not bad, but honestly if you asked me, I'd rather have been one of his women Rolling Eyes
cindoo15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanna wrote:
Pam is so good to see you posting again. Yes, I had missed you.

Don't tell me that you can make it to Greece this summer???!!!
WOW! GREAT!
Please, please, try to come. We'll have a wonderful time. I feel it.

Oh yes, I know we would Joanna - I can feel it too!! I'm working on it - believe me, even if you don't hear from me for a while, I'm still working on it. I won't give up until July gets here and I don't have airline tickets yet!
Adriv

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander's death is coming up you guys... June 10th.

We should remember him that day like it was yesterday. And, obviously where ever we do and think we will keep him in our thoughts.

Now, if you happen to be drinking that day Wink well, just remember to make a toast on his name. I will! Embarassed

"TO ALEXANDER THE GREAT" the greatest military intellects in human history.

Cheers! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: