Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greetings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello
View previous topic :: View next topic  
athenas owl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Greetings Reply with quote

Have been reading this forum for a few weeks.

Came across it after watching Stone's film, "Alexander". I feel so bad that I heeded the critics when the film was first released. When I finally saw it on HBO, I was gobsmacked.

My degree is in Medieval history, but I have always had a soft spot for Alexander and his era. I had started watching the film expecting to tear it apart for historical inaccuracies and Colin Farrell's bleached hair. Instead I felt transported in time. Rarely does a film leave me longing for a happier ending even though the fin is known. Longing for what might have been, feeling that somehow I should reach myself, even though I too might fall.

Anyway, this is a very good forum. Lots of information and links. Thank you.
apelles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Athenas owl.I,m glad you came round to the film,it did get a pretty unfair press.We all love it.I hope you enjoy the discussions. Very Happy
Adriv

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Welcome

Try to stick around, you will love it.

Cheers! Smile
joanna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athenas owl !

What a username ? I like these small birds so much !

Now if we are talking about 'Athene noctua' the goddess Athena's bird,
then we are taliking about a special owl Smile . An owl that protected the soldiers in wars. It also represents wisdom.

Wow ! Very good choice for a name.

I don't have to say anything else. Only " WELCOME " Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome from me too! I hope you join us in some discussions.
cindoo15

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Greetings Reply with quote

athenas owl wrote:
Have been reading this forum for a few weeks.

Came across it after watching Stone's film, "Alexander". I feel so bad that I heeded the critics when the film was first released. When I finally saw it on HBO, I was gobsmacked.

Well I think this is the first in what seems quite a list I've missed. So here goes - WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am glad you decided to finally watch the film. And, I'm so glad you have found our group.

Did I see Adriv say hello and not offer a toast????? I MUST be mistaken.

Quote:

My degree is in Medieval history, but I have always had a soft spot for Alexander and his era. I had started watching the film expecting to tear it apart for historical inaccuracies and Colin Farrell's bleached hair. Instead I felt transported in time. Rarely does a film leave me longing for a happier ending even though the fin is known. Longing for what might have been, feeling that somehow I should reach myself, even though I too might fall.

I found it inspirational as well.

Now, I've just scrolled down and noticed that I was right - Adriv must be on the wagon! Laughing So, it's up to me.

It is a tradition to offer a toast to Alexander upon entering the forum. HAIL - to Alexander-the-GREAT!!!!! Cheers and again, welcome.
Adriv

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah my dear cindoo15.... on the wagon this time Razz

Red wine for every one! Cheers!!
athenas owl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome.

Joanna, I've had this nick for a number of years....and it is after the little owl of Athene. Smile

Just reread Fox's bio of Alexander and am trying to hunt down the "original" sources. It is a bit hard here in backwoods Oregon. Hopefully I'll be back with more posting soon...I'm a terrible lurker. Embarassed

Just a quick question about the film. I understand almost everything Stone did, in combining events and and characters, but what was he saying when Alexander was dying and took off Hephaistion's ring and raised it up to the winged fugure on the fan?
apelles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

athenas owl wrote:

Just a quick question about the film. I understand almost everything Stone did, in combining events and and characters, but what was he saying when Alexander was dying and took off Hephaistion's ring and raised it up to the winged fugure on the fan?

Hi again.You,ll find quite a lot of debate about this on pages 1 and 2 of the "Discussing the movie scene by scene"thread.Might be worth a look?
About the original sources,I think I remember Alexandros 19 tracking some of them down on line but he,s not here at the moment so we can,t ask him.Maybe someone else in the reading group can help here?Hope this helps a little. Smile
philalexandros

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly Welcome Smile Original sources? they have not been available for a long time now, and Plutarch , and the other classical writersl/philosophers/historian's from BC apparently had them available to them however after they were lost.

I think that was what you both meant by original sources Confused
athenas owl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry...I meant actually getting the "original" sources, ie, Plutarch, Arrian, etc in my hot little hands where I live. There isn't a real bookstore within a hundred miles...and I've had to special order them... Smile

Though I realise that they are hundreds of years after Alexander, I consider them "original" as opposed to more current biographers, etc. If nothing else, they were closer in cultural context and mind set and so may have had a closer connection, as well as being able to get their hands on the true original sources.
cindoo15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

athenas owl wrote:
I'm sorry...I meant actually getting the "original" sources, ie, Plutarch, Arrian, etc in my hot little hands where I live. There isn't a real bookstore within a hundred miles...and I've had to special order them... Smile

Though I realise that they are hundreds of years after Alexander, I consider them "original" as opposed to more current biographers, etc. If nothing else, they were closer in cultural context and mind set and so may have had a closer connection, as well as being able to get their hands on the true original sources.

I'm sure you can order Arian online from Barnes and Nobles. So far, I've enjoyed his work very much - my favorite actually. I also read Fox - enjoyed him very much too; but, there's nothing like Arrian in my opinion.
LEONIDAS

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever happened to you cindoo 15?
Adriv

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEONIDAS wrote:
What ever happened to you cindoo 15?

Everyone banished! Hello Leonidas!
I don't come here anymore because nobody comes here. Confused
LEONIDAS

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I am still here dont go
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: