Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Huge Tomb found in Pella
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cynisca

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Huge Tomb found in Pella Reply with quote

Greetings,
this was just posted on the history/reenactors forum I belong to
the tomb is thought to date to just after Alex's death.... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4707014.stm
regards
Cynisca
joanna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cynisca, what news! Thanks for posting it. Now we have to wait to learn more about this tomb. God ! Very interesting !
cindoo15

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you beat me to it!! I was on the treadmill at the gym tonight and saw it on the tele in front of me - I was sooooooooooo excited - it was one of the little bands you read along the bottom of the screen so it came out slowly - I couldn't believe it. Very exciting indeed. Something else to put on your itinerary Joanna!!
cindoo15

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you smell the rubber burning on the treadmill as my heartrate and speed increased as the story unfolded??? Laughing
cindoo15

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did yall read the story? It says that the name of the family is on the tombstones. BUT, they dont' tell us what that name is!!!!!!!!GRRRR!!! I'm sure most people wouldn't recognize it but maybe, maybe we would. I am so curious! From what I read in other areas and what I read on the tele during my workout this tomb is dated between the 4th and 2nd centuries BC. Maybe we're talking about Alexanders remaining family that was murdered??? Surely, they would have said that if that's what the name read. Maybe Antipater and Cassander's family?

Well no, probably not. It says that this was in a cemetary that is one for commoners. Hmmm. Who could that be? A very wealthy family buried among commoners? Again, I think of Alexanders family because I can see Cassander having the rest of his family buried among commoners.

I guess less speculation on my part and more research is needed.
Adriv

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cindoo15 wrote:
Can you smell the rubber burning on the treadmill as my heartrate and speed increased as the story unfolded??? Laughing

LOL Laughing
apelles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an incredible find!How infuriating they don,t quote the names carved into the rock.How can we find out ?
philalexandros

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absoleutly amazing. Why would they not relase the names??? what do they have to hide??, I'm beging to think something strange is up with this.
Cynisca

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: I found three of the names.....! Reply with quote

Hi,
it gives the impression in the report that the tomb dates to the period immediately after Alexander's passing, when all the various factions were fighting it out.
You can guess what my first thought was.....then I thought 'no, it hasn't been touched.... Sad '
I also wondered about his family......and like you I am also waiting to hear the names....
Three of the female names are Antigona, Kleoniki and Nikosrati.
http://***.com/2006/WORLD/europe/02/12/tomb.greece.ap/?section=edition
Now Antigona immediately puts me in mind of Antigonos....!
Will do some more checking.... Very Happy
regards
Cynisca
Adriv

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... Confused Confused
Cynisca

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
it seems Antigona is the same as Antigone and originally was the name of the daughter of King Priam of Troy...also a Princess of Thebes who opposed Creon in burying the body of her brother Polyneices.
Antigona/e -in Greek, like the ancestor?, in Macedonian 'gone' means - the hunt or the chase....?
In Greek
Kleoniki or Cleoniki probably means glorious victory....
Nicostrati? (I thought Nico was male?)
Nico can either mean victory, winner or conqueror of the stratum...clouds, levels etc...
I can check for Macedonian meanings too...
regards
Cynisca....
Adriv

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...interesting Exclamation
Cynisca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
one of those strange coincidences....I saw a portrait of a very fierce looking lady called Bernice II (I am sorry but she reminds me of Gary Glitter in his unperverted heyday.... Laughinghttp://www.listenupmusic.com.br/listenup02/coisa02/blog_sillyboyblue/photosfiles008/gary_glitter02.jpg )
http://ce.eng.usf.edu/pharos/alexandria/gallery/berenice.jpg
and in checking out the lineage of this warrior queen...I found http://www.tyndale.cam.ac.uk/Egypt/ptolemies/apama-arsinoe.htm#Arsinoe_Cyrene
Antiochus was married to Stratoniki....is Nicostrati the same person or possibly a descendant...... Shocked .
regards
Cynisca
Cynisca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
one of those strange coincidences....I saw a portrait of a very fierce looking lady called Bernice II
http://ce.eng.usf.edu/pharos/alexandria/gallery/berenice.jpg
and in checking out the lineage of this warrior queen...I found http://www.tyndale.cam.ac.uk/Egypt/ptolemies/apama-arsinoe.htm#Arsinoe_Cyrene
Antiochus was married to Stratoniki....who was previously the wife of Selucus 1. The daughter of Selucus and Stratoniki was married to Antigonos........
Is this Nicostrati the same person or are these descendants of Alexander's Selucus and Antigonos ...... Shocked
regards
Cynisca
Aniketos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very, very exciting! Very Happy I hope findings from this tomb unearths new knowledge about post-Alexander Pella and Macedon.

It seems that this huge tomb was in use for two centuries! Could it be Hephaistion's family? (I can dream, can't I? Razz) Parents, siblings, their descendents? They would not be royal, but would be very rich with all that wealth from Persia flowing in from around Alexander's time (after all, Hephaistion died the Chiliarch) - perhaps that's why they are in a rich tomb but in a cemetery where many commoners were also buried? I suppose there are more realistic candidates like Antipater/Cassander. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: