Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Personal Profiles
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Personal Profiles Reply with quote

As everytime we have new people in this forum, with some leaving and some entering, in a sort of continuous entity composed of different people along time, I was looking at some personal profiles to know more about everybody. What did I find? That whether because of reluctance to share personal information (which I respect) or because of pure laziness (intolerable Laughing ), there is usually little or none information about each one of us (myself included).
That's why I thought of making some kind of forum census, if you agree, to know who we are, given that we share so many conversations every day. Anyway, I can just think of some questions now, but you can add others I've missed, or just put extra information. Here are some basic ones:

What's your name (not nickname, but first and, if you want, last name)?
Where are you from, especifically (country and city)?
How old are you (I guess for some this must be the highly protected data Laughing )?
What do you do in your life? If you study, what do you study and where? If you work, what's your job or occupation?
Anyway, anything each one of us would like to say. I begin so we can start this.

Many of you know already (as we have sent several messages to each other), my name is Alejandro Cacace (the last name is Italian, where most of my family is from), I am 20 years old (I will be 21 on March 21st). I am from Argentina, where I study Law at the National University of Cordoba (one of the oldest in America, founded in 1613), though I am now doing a semester in Madrid, Spain. I'd like to work on politics (be elected, actually Laughing ) and what else?, well I think of other things to add along the way... and you'll have the chance to meet me personally in Pella, where the glorious meeting of the Alexandrians will be celebrated and an Alexandrian dinner (not copied from the Order of Alexander the Great, evidently) will be served. Laughing
Pernille

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alejandro.

That`s a great idea you had there,I`ll follow your example Very Happy

I`m Pernille from Denmark,30 years old.I`m married,no children but a dog.
I have a part time job online,where I type in adds for a website.
I`m studying to be a healer,and I`ll take a degree in march.
Can`t think of much more to add now Smile
Paul Allen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think it's a good idea. My name is Paul, I'm 52 - 53 on the 19th March. People who fight against me usually think I'm a good deal younger Twisted Evil I'm a professional re-enactor, specializing in Ancient Greek, Roman, Saxon, Viking and Norman periods. (You can see my Business website at www.***). I live in Cambridgeshire and I'm married with no children, but one dog and two cats.

My first love was always Greeks and I am organising the First International Ancient Greek Festival this year, as some of you will know from other postings.

For those of you who don't, the festival website is at <www.webspawner.com/users/ancientgreekfestiva/index.html>.

I liked "Alexander" but I'm more of a Persian Wars man. I'm a champion of the Thespians, who sent more Hoplites to Thermopylae than the Spartans and get much less credit for it.
apelles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea Alejandro.
I,m Janie.I,ve been an Alexanderholic for about three years and show no signs of stopping. Very Happy
I live in the north east of England in a city which was a Roman legionary fort built to control the Welsh tribes over the border.I have to be diplomatic here because my lovely husband,s Welsh!
By profession I,m a geographer,but I don,t do that full time now because my real love is painting.
Favourite things (apart from all things Alexandrian) ;travel;the countryside and wildlife,music...anything from Mozart to Cold Play but my heart is given to The Blues,especially the old American masters;animals,especially horses and dogs;friends;cinema and theatre;my garden;reading;sailing and the sea;this terrific forum and all you great Alexandrians.
Favourite places.Venice,northern Norway,the English Lake District,home.
What makes me laugh?The ridiculous and funny things which happen in everyday life.
Ambitions.To finally get to see Alexander,s home region and just to be happy in the things I do.
joanna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alejandro, you always come up with good ideas !

Can I add something else ? How about describing our physical appearance ? So, we can have an idea of how we look like.

Ok, I'll start.

I'm a tall woman ( let's say.... about 1,80 m ), thin ( of course ! ) with long blond ( extremely beautiful ) hair. My eyes have a deep blue colour, the best feature on my face after my gorgeous full lips ( actually my nick name is Angelina ).
What else can I say ? I don't want to say many things about my extraordinary beauty, as I am a very modest person .

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes :roll

Oh, I forgot to say something. I would like to be like that but since in this life is not possible, how about in my second one ??? God, can you hear me ?
siwa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, that's a good idea.
Im Joan, from barcelona, 35 years old. I work i public administration and internet issues.
I love Alexander the great, egypt, ancient history, and Hard Rock music, also like classical, and a lot more.
I love to travel and if you want yo take an image of how im am and that kind of things, look at my pictures in Egypt (Alexandria, Siwa, etc...)
http://www.my.opera.com/pajaru/albums/show.dml?id=20406
Hope you like it
Adriv

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay my turn! Very Happy

My real name is Adriana, I was born in South America, Peru and live in United States since who knows when Rolling Eyes
I'm 32 years old, 5'5", 130 pounds, dark hair, dark eyes and a big smile.
I like to dance and I like to drink Shocked socially of course! Laughing
I like to travel, hike and take long walks.

I work in Advertising/Marketing for a publishing company. I always liked ancient history since I was a little girl. I remember in school I was probably 8 years old, there was a competition - it was a book about Egypt and I knew I had to have it so I did everything possible to have it - so I won, I was so happy Very Happy that is how everything started.

Alexander the Great is the only man in history who I admire and followed over the years. I should say I'm a believer Very Happy

Did I mention I was single too? Wink Twisted Evil
Cynisca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

groans.....
Cristina currently living in Yorkshire....just older than Paul ( Embarassed ) but with a much younger spirit...
above average height, with long brown hair (with a few stylish streaks of natural silver) and greeny-grey eyes.
(this sounds like a 'looking for someone' post - well I am alone... Laughing )
Part time digital manipulator and other computer orientated work.
Interested in historical research, re enactment, with background in Viking and Arthurian/late Roman re enacting and just turning to appropriate period of Hellenistic... Wink also fascinated with the paranormal.....
I first became interested in Alexander at a young age, when into ponies and was fascinated with the story of Bucephalus. I loved anything to do with Ancient Greece and Steve Reeves as Hercules was a major hearthrob.....! Embarassed As you know, I travelled to Macedonia and Greece and did part of the 'tour' quite a few years back.
My other major love and obsession is King Arthur.....mainly in his Roman/post Roman incarnation...!
Funny how I seem to admire the men whose names begin with A....! (I had a 'thing' about Achilles at one time)
If there is something that has never changed in my life, it is my love of the past, although the era and area of interest has shifted occasionally, I always find myself back 'home'.
I am the one who genrally cannot pass a hole in the road, without looking in.....should have been an archaeologist... Laughing
regards
Cynisca
Chiliarch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear - must I ?

I'm Susanne, from just outside Copenhagen in Denmark. I'm an archivist by profession which is a great help when studying history in your spare time ( if any ).

You all know how I got into this, so I won't dwell on that, and I am DEFINITELY not going to reveal my age. I'm way too old to be a fangirl, being closer to Cynisca and Paul in age than to the rest of you, but it seems that with a certain man, I'm reduced to one. It's so embarrassing Embarassed

My other interests include dogs ( surprise, surprise ) and the 17th Century, especially the English Civil War. Hello to you, Paul, from a fellow re-enacter - Royalist cavalry if I were in England, but this is Denmark so just 17 C. cavalry. I enjoy baroque music, good food and wine, am 5'1, brunette ( they say that blondes have more fun, but don't you believe it ) a dab hand with a rapier, a rather worse shot but an excellent horsewoman. Love history and languages and has travelled quite a lot over the years.

That's it folks !
Cymoril

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...my turn!

My real name is Anja. Nick I'm using is originally from Michael Moorcock's novel (I'm his huge fan).
I'm from Belgrade...which is in Serbia....which is situated in South-Eastern Europe. (I know I sound stupid but most of ppl don't know where it is)...
Oh, my...what else? I'm 26, finished faculty of civil eng,.... working for a month now.
Tall, thin ..... long hair - of color...hmmm...light copper, yeah that would be the color.
I'm a book-worm. Just adore history, mythology and fantasy as well. Used to be a Goth, but nowadays I listen almost everything...well, as long it has some quallity within! Wink
joanna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I am . It’s my turn to talk about myself.

The complication of names

When I was born (many years ago) I was given the name Ioanna which was my maternal grandma’s name. It was a habit (still is) those ancient times the babies to be named after the grandparents. My sister is Styliani from the other grandma. My son was given the name, Apostolos, from his paternal grandfather, in spite of my wish to call him...Alexandros. My grandpa had already passed to me that sweet ‘virus’ called ‘Megas Alexandros’ . I’ve been infected with it since then. Imagine after the movie! That admiration transformed into an obsession. A positive one.
So, we were given our grandparents names but are we called with these names? Of course not ! My family and friends call me Yanna, my sister is Stella and my son Tolis.Why didn’t they give us these names at the first place? When I was in Chicago, at school they used to call me Joanna which is my Christian name translated in English. Because I work as a teacher of English ( no questions if I like it; you can guess the answer ), at school my English translated name is the victor. This is the name I used here, as well, seeing that was a forum for English speaking people. Talking about forums, let me tell you that this is the only forum I am a member to. The first and only. And it turned out to be the best! Ah, I forgot, I have a first cousin, in Greece, who insists to call me Anna. I have explained to him that Anna is a another name but he doesn’t seem to understand.
After all these names of mine, I feel like a criminal who has thought of them to mislead the police and escape arrest.

Age, the delicate matter

Oh, yes, a delicate matter it is ! And not only for women. No! My male friends are veeery conscious of it, I’m telling you.
Ok, here it goes. Do I have only one age ? Nooo! That could make my life dull. I have many, of course, even if my mum swears that I was born 42 years ago and I am my fathers daughter, so no god’s involvement (as many Greek mothers claim for their children ). I want to believe her, for God’s sake she’s my mother, but the problem starts when I sometimes feel 82 and others 22. A needle in a thermometer goes up and down according to the temperature. My age goes up and down according to my mood. I can’t help it. That’s my ‘temperamento’. But, in general, I’m an optimist person and after a storm, the smile returns to my face and I’m in high spirits again. Yes, I have a smiling face Smile , my sis the same and one of the reasons Daniela has been chosen as a good friend of mine is that she always smiles.
To sum up. Ladies and gentlemen, how old we are is not important. Let it be written on the paper. How old we feel is what matters. So, we can accept the printed numbers ( who cares about them ) and live accordingly to the mood of the moment. Carlota agrees with me. Who’s she ? One of the classmates of my friend’s daughter. They are in the same music class. The only difference is that there are around... 50 years between them. Peanuts ! One day, Carlota woke up with the wish to learn how to play the harp. She enrolled herself in the class. I assure you I haven’t met a jollier woman in my life ! I admire her.

What’s next, what’s next. Ah, let me tell you about my Family

You know that my son had the brilliant idea to study (a lot !) in order to pass very tough exams which would allow him to attend the Military Academy of Modena. He succeeded in passing them . He’s final position is 38( yes, I’m proud of him, of course) from around 3,000 young men and a few women who tried to enter the Academy. Now, I wonder, how come and so many young people in Italy want to dedicate themselves and serve their country ?! But I was explained and understood that they are after a job and good salary from the time they are graduated. Even now they are paid well, for their age, I’d say. So, they want to do it as a kind of job; security, you see what I mean. Call me romantic, call me as you like but I don’t want to believe that my son ( he assures me that is not his case ) chose it for that reason. All this ‘secure job’ thing sounds so sad .

My first husband, who is my son’s father ( I swear) lives in Greece. He has spent many years in the States like me. I was in Chicago, though, and he was in Sacramento, Cal. We met during a summer vacation in our native Greece. We got married, I got pregnant and he lived happily for...some time. Then, one stormy night, we heard a knock on the door. I went to open it and I saw the Divorse. I let it in and everybody turned to be happy again ! A marriage, nowadays, has less possibilities to survive. On the other hand, the divorce seems to be the ‘blessing’ end of a marriage. ...(sigh). Another sad thing...I can’t get it, really. People struggle to get married and then struggle to be unmarried. Mystery....

My second husband is Italian and he’s the one that has a negative attitude towards our ‘Alexander’ movie. Hearing ‘Alexander’ is a kind of curse for him. Without, I repeat without having seen it, he has an opinion on it ! What a sensible man ! How can you criticize the film if you haven’t watched it, stupid ! Sorry, I’m angry, now Mad . I told him : “ You have no right to judge the movie. See it first and then talk ! “ Oh, enough about him. He’s another unenthusiastic teacher of English.

Hobbies

A lot I have! Let’s leave out the artistic kind of hobbies as, I think, you already know. I mean
painting, drawing, writing, cinema, music, etc. These make me ,inevitably, a ‘too-often’ goer of museums, art galleries, theaters and cinemas. I should have chosen one of these lovely hobbies as my job. Yes, I know. I’ll see what I can do now.
Another thing I’m very fond of, and you might not know, is horse-riding.. I love horses! I’ve always loved them. When I was a small girl, I used to ask, to beg I’d say, my mum to buy me a horse. And since we were living in an apartment, my simple request, was out of the question. But I found a solution. I told my mum we could keep the horse on the terrace of the building. “After all it’s so big and nobody uses it ! “ I was right, my mum smiled , but I continued to be puzzled why(?) my suggestion wasn’t taken seriously. The dream to have my own horse has remained a dream (and it will remain one). To compensate the situation I go and rent a horse. Does that satisfy my love for horses. Absolutely not ! But what else can I do ?

Last but not least

I’d like to tell you about my two lovely daughters. Don’t think that I forgot about them. Yes, I have two female... dogs. This summer one will be 7 years old and the other 5. They are mongrel dogs, a fact that makes them be very intelligent. I adore them !

To finish, I’ll write what I must do.

1) Lose 10 kilos. All these extra kilos seem to be in love with me and they follow me wherever I go. I told them to go away, they are not wanted, nothing; they are not listening to me. Damn it; it’s so difficult to try to get rid of them. I’m having such a hard time. I would prefer to ride next to Alexander fighting at the front line at a battle. That would be an easier struggle, believe me.
2) Take up sculpture lessons. I’m not joking on that. My Alexander has to be made.
3) Enrol me to a class to learn Spanish. I’d love to learn it. Since I speak Italian ( 10 years in Italy ) it’s easier to learn Spanish as they belong to the same family. You know, I have a B.A degree, major linguistics and minor English literature. I , unfortunately, didn’t continue for a Master Degree. I was pregnant when I got my BA and my ex and I decided to return to Greece to live permanently. Wrong choice ! So, my studies were finished there. Now, I’m thinking of enrolling to university again ( am I too old ? no! remember Carlota ? ). And what
to study ? What to study ? Ah, I found it ! Ancient History !!! Surprise ! NO?

Are you still with me ? Well, if someone of you managed to read all this post of mine, deserves congratulations. He or she has a lot of patience. Now, go to drink a glass of wine to calm your nerves.

Ok. That’s it.
The end.

PS. I swear I am a normal person, not crazy and not drunk. I swear to Dionysus, Alexander’s favourite ....
Luna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this topic and i love it! Firstly nice to know you all! joanna nice auto biography! and finally i have to start adressing all of you with sirs and madams! i mean no offence by this, just that i realised i am the only minor on this forum! Embarassed
o.k. i am from serbia, belgrade and anja already explained where that is( dosent it just annoy when you say the name of your country and they ask is it in asia or africa???!!!) oh and speaking of africa i currently live there...
my birthday is in june and of my physical appearance... well i have been told i look very mature and my behaviour proves it!
i speak ( apart from english) serbian and learning french. i like history and psyhology and martial arts.
my hobbies are astrology, ancient history, movies, music, hanging with friends and last but not least... poundering the deep questions such as are we alone, why are we here, e.t.c.
oh, and i joined this forum so i could stop annoying all my friends with my stories and endless monologues about alex and his conquests!
Parrhasius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: GENERAL Reply with quote

Greetings everyone

Alejandro very good idea

My name is Jimmy , that's a very loose translation of my Greek name ' Demetrios which was very difficult to live with in London so many years ago , My parents were both from Egypt , my mother was born in Alexandria and father from Cairo, There was a very large Greek community in Egypt in the 40s and 50s . most left during the mid fifties after Egyptian nationalism, my parents went to Cyprus where I was born............ 48 years ago! they only stayed there a year and I have been living in london since . Very English in my ways although I managed to maintain proficiency in the Greek language and visited Greece evey summer as a child . My surname .......and this is true is :guess what : Pellas , so when people ask I convince myself that I am a descendent of the Macedonians.

I am married and have to sons 18 and 16 years old the eldest is Alexander with many of his attributes , I'm just waiting for him to conquer the world and buy me a holiday home on a Greek island with the spoils.

I'm 5ft 7 ins, with medium build , fit and recently a colleague asked me what I do to look younger than I am to which i replied just drinking and smoking.

I work as a mental health nurse , recently changed job and work now with mentally ill people who have drug or alcohol problems.

My main interests are visual art, have had some periods of working professionally but at present have carried on as a hobby. Also love history , politics and philosphy .have joined some forums but have found this one in particular very friendly and somewhat addictive. Although I am a fan of Alex and some other great military minds who fought against the odds by using clever tactics ,I am generally more fascinated by the many great individuals that the ancient Greeks gave us including the great poets, sulptors philosophers , painters and others .

Time to say good bye for now

peace be with you all
Jimmy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Parrhasius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: GENERAL Reply with quote

Greetings everyone

Alejandro very good idea

My name is Jimmy , that's a very loose translation of my Greek name ' Demetrios which was very difficult to live with in London so many years ago , My parents were both from Egypt , my mother was born in Alexandria and father from Cairo, There was a very large Greek community in Egypt in the 40s and 50s . most left during the mid fifties after Egyptian nationalism, my parents went to Cyprus where I was born............ 48 years ago! they only stayed there a year and I have been living in london since . Very English in my ways although I managed to maintain proficiency in the Greek language and visited Greece evey summer as a child . My surname .......and this is true is :guess what : Pellas , so when people ask I convince myself that I am a descendent of the Macedonians.

I am married and have to sons 18 and 16 years old the eldest is Alexander with many of his attributes , I'm just waiting for him to conquer the world and buy me a holiday home on a Greek island with the spoils.

I'm 5ft 7 ins, with medium build , fit and recently a colleague asked me what I do to look younger than I am to which i replied just drinking and smoking.

I work as a mental health nurse , recently changed job and work now with mentally ill people who have drug or alcohol problems.

My main interests are visual art, have had some periods of working professionally but at present have carried on as a hobby. Also love history , politics and philosphy .have joined some forums but have found this one in particular very friendly and somewhat addictive. Although I am a fan of Alex and some other great military minds who fought against the odds by using clever tactics ,I am generally more fascinated by the many great individuals that the ancient Greeks gave us including the great poets, sulptors philosophers , painters and others .

Time to say good bye for now

peace be with you all
Jimmy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
joanna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: GENERAL Reply with quote

[quote="Parrhasius"]
Quote:

My name is Jimmy , that's a very loose translation of my Greek name ' Demetrios

Aha, you have a Greek name Very Happy ,you were born in Cyprus, you speak Greek and your last name is Pellas ! I knew you were a special person Exclamation

Quote:
so when people ask I convince myself that I am a descendent of the Macedonians.

Jimmy, with this beautiful surname, you might be a descendent of the Macedonians. What do your relatives say ?

Quote:

You managed to name your son Alexander ! I didn't .... Sad I should have insisted more. Nothing to do now. I have only made clear to my son that when he gets married and has a son he will give him the name of Alexander. So, there is still some hope. Not my son but my grandson is called...Alexander

Surely, your son must conquer the world. Alexandros Pellas !!! That's him the new Megas Alexandros Razz . A holiday house on a Greek island is the minimum he can give you. How about Corfu or Santorini ? That's a dream of mine to have a house on an island but I'm afraid I have to wait for my grandson ....

We have a lot in common, Jimmy except the fact we are great artists Razz .
Philosophy, History, Poetry.... I love them, too
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: