Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interview With Jared Leto About Alexander

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Jared Leto
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philalexandros

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Interview With Jared Leto About Alexander Reply with quote

This Interview came from the movie magazine Empire, It was earlier in January this year that i Beileve it was published a breif interview with Jared about his role as Hephaestion in the movie, thought I'd Post it here:

Empire Magazine-How much did you know of the era beforehand?

Jared's response-I knew who Alexander was,but not Hephaestion.Oliver encouraged us to read the works of the time that they might have read.Their Bible was probably the Iliad and The Odyssey.Homer was their spiritual role model.It was fascinating how much belief they put into the tales he told.

I'm not to impressed with the wording Jared uses in parts of question one however he makes up for it with question two.

Empire Magazine-It's a complicated relationship between Alexander and Hephaestion - comrades,friends and lovers...

Jared's response-I immediately understood that the relationship was about love. These men were brothers of different mothers,best friends since childhood and soulmates. He was crucial politically and emotionally to Alexander; the flip-side of the same coin. Alexander really opened his heart to him.

I loved the part where he said 'Alexander really opened his heart to him', It was so true. I was moved to read that.

Empire Magazine-Were you nervous about portraying his bisexuality?
Jared's Response- (Grumpily) You can;t put that term in that time period. The most important element of their relationship is the one onscreen: their undeniable love and support for each other.

Final question which concludes the end of this interview:

And the eyeliner,whose idea was that?

That came from research that we did with the make-up department. The eye make-up represented the Babylonian phase. Hephaestion,more than others, embraced the conquered cultures. It was in your best interest as a diplomat to adapt. That was one of the ways we showed it. It wasn't too pirates of the Caribbean,was it?

Interview was conducted by Ian Nathan
Cynisca

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Philalexandros
and thanks for posting that......a rare interview with Jared....!
He sounds very protective of the real Alexander and Hephaestion, I would say that the role made an impression on him....
regards
Cynisca
Cerulean Mosaic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how protective of Hephaestion he is Smile Thank you for posting the interview, I love hearing what Jared has to say. The "pirates" bit was funny Smile I think the eyeliner did way more for his character than dear Jack!
philalexandros

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's alright, I quite liked how he spoke about Hephaestion indeed. Smile
Cymoril

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice reading! Thx for interview!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Jared Leto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: