Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New member from Pennsylvania, USA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colins_mom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: New member from Pennsylvania, USA Reply with quote

Hi there fellow Alexander addicts! I've finally been able to register and join in the discussion (was having trouble with the registering process).

Anyway, a little about me as it relates to Alexander...I first became aware of Alexander as a child long ago through my love of horses. I read everything I could find about horses and I remember reading about Bucephalus, the greatest horse that ever walked the earth I quickly determined (I still believe this Smile) My memories are a bit hazy but in my little girl point of view I must have figured his owner was along for the ride and was great because of the horse he rode Very Happy As I got older I learned more about the man and quickly determined he was one of the greatest men to walk the earth too. Several years ago Breyer model horse company starting making a Horses in History series and guess who was excited to see them finally do a Bucephalus model.

Then when I found out the movie was coming out I couldn't wait! I was so excited to learn that Colin Farrell was going to play the part. Somehow I knew he was perfect for the role. I was not disappointed. I was about 6 months pregnant while watching the movie in the theater. I managed to not have to go to the bathroom for 3 hours! Not an easy feat but I was not going to miss a second of this movie. My dream movie!

I ended up naming my son Colin. We are mostly Irish and wanted an Irish name and I adore Colin after seeing Alexander so here I am, Colin's Mom! Very Happy
Cynisca

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colin's mum and a very warm welcome.
It was the story of Alexander and Bucephalus that drew my interest too as a young girl.... Smile
A toast to Alexander, yet again..... Very Happy !
regards
Cynisca.....
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathy! Welcome to the forum! It's nice to see you've been able to register at last and I hope you enjoy participating here with us, and join us in the long time friendship we've established here, among the Alexandrians. Very Happy I particularly encourage you to join us in the reading groups, if you wish. We've read and discussed already some of the ancient sources on Alexander (Arrian and Plutarch) and we are know reading the biography by Robin Lane Fox, together with a short book on the fortune or virtue of Alexander, written by Plutarch.
Anyway, welcome to the forum again! I'm glad to have you here with us. Very Happy
Colins_mom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome. Smile
I have not read any full length books on Alexander, although I have been wanting to for some time. I just picked up one of Mary Renault's books at a used book sale but haven't read it yet. I still can't believe I found this book out of the thousands at this huge annual book sale at the University here - must have been fate, haha!
How is the book by Robin Lane Fox? Which book do you recommend for someone who hasn't read any of the books on Alexander yet? Would the Robin Lane Fox book be a good starting point?
I have to mention that as much as I love the subject I do not have a lot of time (and energy) to read these days as I have a 16 month old son and a full time job and a horse farm to run Shocked Is Fox's book something that is easy enough to read for the casual reader?
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colins_mom wrote:
I have not read any full length books on Alexander, although I have been wanting to for some time. I just picked up one of Mary Renault's books at a used book sale but haven't read it yet. I still can't believe I found this book out of the thousands at this huge annual book sale at the University here - must have been fate, haha!
How is the book by Robin Lane Fox? Which book do you recommend for someone who hasn't read any of the books on Alexander yet? Would the Robin Lane Fox book be a good starting point?
I have to mention that as much as I love the subject I do not have a lot of time (and energy) to read these days as I have a 16 month old son and a full time job and a horse farm to run Shocked Is Fox's book something that is easy enough to read for the casual reader?

Well, if the one you've picked of Mary Renault is "The Nature of Alexander" (her biography) and not one of her novels on Alexander, then I would think that's a good book to start with. The ones we've read, the ancient books, perhaps are not the best introduction. Robin Lane Fox is very good, but it's so full of details, and long, that perhaps it's too much for the first read. Starting with one of the historic novels, even if they are partly fiction, is not either.
You have a horse farm? Laughing Wow! About your job and Colin I knew. Laughing
Colins_mom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book I have is Fire From Heaven. Thanks for the book suggestions. I am going to try to find a copy of The Nature of Alexander since that sounds like a good 1st read. I see that there are a lot of used copies on the Amazon website really cheap.

Yes, we have a 30 acre horse farm in central PA. We were lucky enough to have purchased the land cheaply from a relative and built our house and barns on it. We breed Quarter Horses now. To make this "Alexander"-related, a few years ago I bought a black horse with a white star mostly for the coloring since it looks like Bucephalus (except the horse is female!). And when one of my mares had a black foal with a white star this spring I was excited - I had another "Bucpehalus"! Except the foal is a filly. But I don't care, all black horses with a star are Bucephalus beauties to me Laughing Yeah, I'm a sucker for a strong man on a dark horse everytime! Razz
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colins_mom wrote:
The book I have is Fire From Heaven. Thanks for the book suggestions. I am going to try to find a copy of The Nature of Alexander since that sounds like a good 1st read. I see that there are a lot of used copies on the Amazon website really cheap.

Yes, I saw that too and I'm going to buy some soon.

Quote:
To make this "Alexander"-related...

Oh, don't worry, that's how we know each other well here. We start talking of Alexander, but easily we get carried away into other subjects, and then we end up discussing lots of things and get to know each other better.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm a sucker for a strong man on a dark horse everytime! Razz

Laughing
apelles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colins_mom wrote:

Yes, we have a 30 acre horse farm in central PA. We were lucky enough to have purchased the land cheaply from a relative and built our house and barns on it. We breed Quarter Horses now. To make this "Alexander"-related, a few years ago I bought a black horse with a white star mostly for the coloring since it looks like Bucephalus (except the horse is female!). And when one of my mares had a black foal with a white star this spring I was excited - I had another "Bucpehalus"! Except the foal is a filly. But I don't care, all black horses with a star are Bucephalus beauties to me Laughing Yeah, I'm a sucker for a strong man on a dark horse everytime! Razz

Hi and welcome Colins_mom!We,re so happy to see you here.Alejandro mentioned you,d been reading along and were having some problems registering but now you,re here. Very Happy Very Happy
"Fire from Heaven" was my first introduction to Alexander and because of Mary Renault,s wonderful writing skills and also because she was totally in empathy with him,I,d say,"Go ahead and enjoy".I can,t think of a better person to fire the imagination.Finding it certainly was fate.Strangely,I found my copy in a huge,muddled second-hand bookshop,lying on the top of a pile just waiting for me.......makes you think it was meant to be.Her biog. is excellent too and a good starting point.
Your Quarter Horses sound wonderful.I,ve always admired them but we don,t see too many of them over here in the U.K.,which is a shame.Do you export any?
cindoo15

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colins_mom wrote:

WITHOUT A DOUBT, the first book to read is "The Nature of Alexander" by Mary Renault. It's not very long, reads like a novel, and gives a great impression into Alexander.

[/quote]
I have to mention that as much as I love the subject I do not have a lot of time (and energy) to read these days as I have a 16 month old son and a full time job and a horse farm to run Shocked Is Fox's book something that is easy enough to read for the casual reader?[/quote]

Start with Renault - good for casual, finding a few moments of peace in the tub, kind of reading. It was the first book I read; and then followed it up with Fox who is more in depth.
cindoo15

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexandros_19 wrote:
Colins_mom wrote:

Well, if the one you've picked of Mary Renault is "The Nature of Alexander" (her biography) and not one of her novels on Alexander, then I would think that's a good book to start with.

Very Happy There's that old psychic connection Alejandro and I seem to have! I swear I wrote my last post before I read his reply. Very Happy
Colins_mom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for more thoughts on the books. After reading them I just ordered Renault's Nature of Alexander Very Happy Can't wait to read it.

Apelles - about my Quarter Horses - it took a few years to get our small breeding herd going and are now starting to sell them. We had 4 fillies born this season. One of them is a little Bucephalus - black with perfect white star. Cool Cool I may just have to keep her! I need help naming her so if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Her dam's name is Phantom and the sire is Muddy. I have a picture of her on my website, at 3 weeks old.
my Bucephalus baby
apelles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colins_mom wrote:
Thanks for more thoughts on the books. After reading them I just ordered Renault's Nature of Alexander Very Happy Can't wait to read it.

Apelles - about my Quarter Horses - it took a few years to get our small breeding herd going and are now starting to sell them. We had 4 fillies born this season. One of them is a little Bucephalus - black with perfect white star. Cool Cool I may just have to keep her! I need help naming her so if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Her dam's name is Phantom and the sire is Muddy. I have a picture of her on my website, at 3 weeks old.
my Bucephalus baby

Isn,t she perfect!Just think,if you keep her she may give you a colt with the star and then you can have your own Bucephalus. Very Happy Very Happy I can think of lots of phantom-related names but the Muddy part defeated me.Sorry!Joanna and I are both horse lovers so keep us up to date with how you,re doing with the herd.
I know you,ll love The Nature of Alexander.Let us know what you think when you,ve had time to read it.
Susa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Colin's Mom - I think I've seen your posts over on the Colin Farrell site? I am mostly a silent member here, but have always enjoyed reading the posts of this lively and friendly group. May I join them in welcoming you, and say that reading Fire From Heaven is a very good start - it was the first thing I read about Alexander many years ago. and I was hooked for life.
For a new reader, as well as Renault, I would also recommend a beautiful coffee table book by Laura Foreman - Alexander the Conqueror, published by Da Capo Press. It is very readable, full of gorgeous photos and even has an endorsement by Oliver Stone.
Colins_mom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apelles wrote:
Isn,t she perfect!Just think,if you keep her she may give you a colt with the star and then you can have your own Bucephalus. Very Happy Very Happy I can think of lots of phantom-related names but the Muddy part defeated me.Sorry!Joanna and I are both horse lovers so keep us up to date with how you,re doing with the herd.
I know you,ll love The Nature of Alexander.Let us know what you think when you,ve had time to read it.

That's what I was thinking - keep her and one day she may give birth to colt that looks like her Very Happy I'm thinking we keep her to replace her plainer colored dam anyway. About names for her, if it helps, the parents full pedigree names are: Poco Phantom Oak and Maysdorf Muddy Water. I need help, I have 4 from this sire to name this year. I am glad there are a few horse lovers here so I don't sound nuts with my Bucephalus "fetish" if you will, hehe Wink ...I know I'm already accepted here for my Alexander fetish Laughing Razz ....and perhaps my Colin Farrell fetish too? Embarassed
Colins_mom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susa wrote:
Hello Colin's Mom - I think I've seen your posts over on the Colin Farrell site? I am mostly a silent member here, but have always enjoyed reading the posts of this lively and friendly group. May I join them in welcoming you, and say that reading Fire From Heaven is a very good start - it was the first thing I read about Alexander many years ago. and I was hooked for life.
For a new reader, as well as Renault, I would also recommend a beautiful coffee table book by Laura Foreman - Alexander the Conqueror, published by Da Capo Press. It is very readable, full of gorgeous photos and even has an endorsement by Oliver Stone.

Susa,
Hi and thanks for your warm welcome too! I don't get to post much on the Colin Farrell site but, yes, that's me, Colin's Mom Laughing It's hard to find the time to keep up with everything.
Thanks for your comments on the books. You guys are getting me inspired to get myself in gear and read these books! Very Happy I needed that! My problem is too many hobbies and responsibilities. Maybe a little each night.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: