Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Cut of Alexander coming on DVD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catherine X

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cynisca wrote:
Cynisca wrote:
Hi Catherine,
Catherine X wrote:
Hi all

Will there be a release for the other regions as well as region 1? I'd hate to miss this. How do I know what regions my DVD player will play?

The Region should be listed on the manufacturers instructions.....some DVD players are Multiregion, but I think you have to set them (Regional Playback Control) and it only allows up to 5x times setting changes...or is that just computer hardware...?
My DVD rewriter/reader has RPC and the 5x limit...the last region change becomes permanent...I wonder if it would be possible to copy the DVD onto the hard drive and/or rewrite as Region 2 ....or is it a case of having to do it the naughty way until the film is released 'over here'?
Are you reading this Oliver Stone.....HELP!!!!
regards
Cynisca

Yes....you can rewrite Region 1 NTSC into Region 2 PAL via a computer editing software, which I have lurking around here somewhere; if there are no plans to release a Region 2 version of the film, I can try that with the imported Region 1 set....which should then play on an ordinary DVD player via PAL screen. As far as I can see....some tvs can also be changed to NTSC to read discs in a multiregion player....via the menu setup...I don't know if that is via the vcr menu or the tv menu....
Confused Confused

Thanks Cynisca but it sounds complicated Shocked
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is just the computer hardware that you allows you to change the settings 5 times not a DVD player, as far as I know.

As Cynisca mention there are various things that you can do, but they can require a bit of work. Some of the less expensive machines will play differrent regions.

The best way you could find out, Catherine, is to look in your manufacturers instructions or try to find a region 1 DVD and see if it will work in your player.

I don't think you will want to miss this either. I looks like other regions may be released later in 2007. I didn't think we would have the region 1 DVD so quickly.

But, thank you Oliver!! It's nice that you listened to us.

Dara Smile
joanna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait! I can't wait!

Oh, here, I can, at least, see the cover of the new DVD which is impressive. A red eagle on Alexander's face. Janie, we can get ideas Very Happy
I can see why they have the free movie pass to 300. For the stuborn, narrow minded people who refused to see Alexander (and had an opinion on it). It will work with them especially if they are mean with money Shocked
apelles

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanna wrote:
I can't wait! I can't wait!

Oh, here, I can, at least, see the cover of the new DVD which is impressive. A red eagle on Alexander's face. Janie, we can get ideas Very Happy
I can see why they have the free movie pass to 300. For the stuborn, narrow minded people who refused to see Alexander (and had an opinion on it). It will work with them especially if they are mean with money Shocked

For a technological dummie like me the instructions about changing my dvd player's capability was............well,my brain hurts!I just hope the other regions are released quickly because I can't wait either.
Ideas for artwork,hmmmm.Yes,I think that's something we can think about. Very Happy
joanna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, (I'm about to cry),
I've just seen that my new DVD player plays only Region 2. I have no idea when this Region will be released. But, as it is an ALEXANDER matter nothing can stop me!

I ordered the 'Alexander Revisited' Final Cut DVD an hour ago Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !!!

I'm wondering if I am the first to order it. Has anybody else ordered it yet?
It will be delivered to my house around the middle of March. God, it's a long time Sad Patience, patience, patience....I don't have any!!!!!!Grrrr.....

Now, how am I going to watch it? you would ask. I'll be able to watch it on my computer for the time being till I get Region 2. Ha, ha, ha
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you girl, you took the plunge without even having a DVD player that plays region 1. Thats what I like about you...you are such a devoted fan, Yanna. Thats great!

If you really want to watch the DVD, as I mentioned in a previous post, there are multi-regional players out there at very low prices. They will do the job for you.

I know that a company called Cyberhome makes a very inexpensive player. It doesn't have all the latest and greatest features, but it might be worth it. Toshiba also make a reasonably priced one, as well (PM or e-mail me and I can give you a link to any of these if you are interested Smile ).

Of course you don't have to buy another player, but an inexpensive back-up for times like these is always good. Take it from someone who owns multiple players. Wink

I also ordered a copy, as a gift for a friend. I am a region 1 person, so I will buy it from a store. But, my biggest fear is that no one will have it when I go to buy it on the 27th. I don't think thats possible, but sometimes I have that nagging feeling in the back of my mind.

But, I am positive once I get in the store and push all the other customers out of my way to get the DVD shelf, I will be one happy camper and it will all be worth it. Very Happy

Dara Smile
apelles

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully my computer will do the job for me so I'll go ahead and order too! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yanna, remember you can use your computer to play Region 1. I know it´s not the best option, but at least you'll be able to see it.
Wait a minute! Did I miss anything? Has the region 1 DVD actually been released or are you preordering for March?
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute! Has anyone congratulated Yanna for reaching a thousand posts?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Janie, you are the next, getting closer and closer tho crossing that barrier Exclamation
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alexandros,

The film is available for pre-order now and will be available on February 27th in all region 1 areas.

If the film is ordered from outside of the US, from a US site (like amazon.com), it will take awhile to ship it overseas, so some people may not get their copy until sometime in March.

You will be able to watch it on your computer, so thats still a plus.

Congrats on the big 1,000, girls (Janie you are close enough). A milestone, indeed!

Dara
joanna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your congratulations. I reached 1,000 posts in...almost two years. Hm, I should have posted more often Confused It's not much.

Now, about my PHILIPS DVD player/recorder I have to say that: I bought it during the recent Christmas holidays as the old one was only a player. I didn't think of buying a multi-regional player. Then after the DVD chat you're preparing Dara, I went to check the user manual:
"Region codes
This device will only play Region 2 DVDs or DVDs manufactured to be played in all regions 'ALL'.
DVDs from other regions cannot be played on this DVD recorder." Sad

But why don't they make the DVDs to be played in all regions? We shouldn't have any problems then.

Anyway, for the time being I'll have to watch the new Alexander DVD on my computer. Yes, Alejandro, I know I can watch it there. Last night I watched "The 300 Spartans" again. We watched it together last summer at my country house. Do you remember my aunt, Antonia? All of us were laughing and she was so serious about it Laughing
joanna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to wait till March to see it Mad

I ordered it from 'amazon.com'.
It cost me $23.97 (around 20 euros). Not bad. Of course I don't get the free 300 ticket Rolling Eyes
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yanna honey, I wish they did make all players so they could play all regions, but they just don't do that. It's about dollars and cents. The more regions there are the more money they make from DVD's.

If all players played all regions, then consumers would just buy one version of of a DVD, no matter which region it is. But, since there are many regions, consumers must buy a copy for their region, to be able to play it on their DVD player. More regions, more copies (as you know so well, already. Nothing new, here Very Happy).

Did that make sense? It's nice they do make multi-regional players. Many people don't think of buying one because there are lots of people that don't buy DVD's outside their region. I know I don't make a habit of it.

I guess thats the story on that. You may still be able to watch the film on the computer and chat. It's possible to do, I would think. You don't want to miss that.

BTW, Amazon.com does have a good price on the DVD. But, you are correct that they won't ship to arrive before almost the middle of March.

I also just saw an advertisment section included in my local newspaper, for a big electronics chain, here in the US. They have an in-store special on DVD's. Buy two for $15.00. "Alexander" was one of the films listed. I guess they are trying to clean their inventory out in time for the new version.

Dara Smile
LEONIDAS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOLON LAVE!!!!!!
apelles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yanna,I missed your 1000 posts!

CONGRATS Exclamation

I wish you 1000 more.

I'm not far off so I'll have to post more so..................
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: