Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviews, Comments and Discussions for Alexander Revisited
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reviews, Comments and Discussions for Alexander Revisited Reply with quote

I know many of you as of this date have not seen the film, yet. As one who has seen it, I have to tell you that you will not be disappointed with this version. If you like either version and theatrical one specifically, you will really enjoy this one. The structure is different and stronger. It makes a lot more sense in the way the film is designed. The added footage makes the film more cohesive and raises the film to a new level. The scenes explain each other and act as a bridge between each other. Because of time restraints it was harder to do that in the previous versions.

We get to see more about Alexander's companions, his childhood, his loves, as a conqueror and as someone who saw it all decline. It is a fascinating look at ATG and a film that is very much worth having as part of you collection (I know all of you here will buy it, anyway). Colin Farrell's performance is so good. We get to see more of the supporting cast, so there are plenty of good perfomances all around, specifically from Gary Stretch, to name one. The scene where Alexander kills Cleitus, is extended. What I thought it a good scene to begin with is now an excellent scene! It is so great to watch the acting in this scene, alone.

Myself and one other member (so far) have posted some comments on my board (Epic Film Net), if you would like to read them. There is a lot of spoilers, so if you don't want to know about the new DVD before you get it, then don't read this thread. But, if you are interested we do talk about what is on the DVD in more detail (scroll about halfway down the page to read).

Here is the link:

http://www.invisionplus.net/forums/index.php?mforum=epicfilmnet&showtopic=127&mforum=epicfilmnet&st=30

The conversation starts on page 3.

I know all of you will have a lot of comments once you see it. I know how many die hard Alexander people there are here. Trust me, Oliver Stone will not let anyone down with this version. This film has finally gotten the ultimate treatment it deserves and that is how it should be.

Thank you, Oliver Stone you done real good!

Dara Smile
joanna

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got the version yet. I can't wait to watch it! I know I will love it. I know in this version some scenes make more sense and they are more complete. But what I feel sad about is the fact that people who were so negative about the film from the beginning they won't watch it again. And that also goes for the people who did NOT see any version and had a...negative opinion about the film (completely stupid behaviour Mad ).
By the way, my husband is one of them. He hasn't seen it not even once. Yes, not even once! Don't be surprised. I know it sounds weird, in a family where the wife admires a movie so much and has watched it hundreds of times, her husband stubbornly refuses to watch it.
I should ask a psychologist about his behaviour.
What is your opinion? Why does a husband refuse to watch his wife's favourite movie Question
xonix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To address your question - all I can suggest is perhaps because he has a bad taste in movies? There are a lot of those types about.

Anway, Alexander Revisited is awesome. Simply awesome.
As has been said, things just make more sense now. Even though they did (IMHO) even make sense before.
Ptolomy's extra narrations, as well as his much increased screen time, have a lot to do with this. Also Aristotle's letter.

Some of the scenes that have been extended, as opposed to those which are entirely new, do look a bit choppy, as they clearly have included some cuts where the continuity is less than perfect. Cleitus' last scene comes to mind. However I personally don't care too much, it doesn't affect the greatness of this film at all to me.

The extension of the Hydapses battle made it just so much more awesome.

======

Actually, perhaps there is one issue I have with the film. But this isn't necesarily an issue, nor entirely new. But is it just me or is it oddly unsubtle the way Roxane and her poison is pointed to as the cause of death of Hephaestion?

Also Alexander's death. Perhaps I never fully understood this part of the film before, but it seemed to be that before it was left mainly unclear about who poisoned him, but now it seems like Ptolomy is practically admitting to it.
apelles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xonix,first,welcome to the forum!Tradition says you have to have a huge glass of wine now to toast Alexander. Very Happy
This all sounds so positive.I reall can't wait to see it!I know Oliver seems so much happier about it now.
Yanna.Does Ivo look at your computer?If so,get him along here now.

Message for Ivo;WATCH ALEXANDER....PLEASE!!!!YOUR WIFE WILL ADORE YOU EVEN MORE THAN SHE DOES NOW.
siwa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry,
I put my review in the wrong place (in: new cut of alexander...) and i did it twice. It was a mistake.
Slobadog Melosivec

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revisited wasn't bad but I couldn't stand its the non linear approach. Due to this style there was no energy or momentum. No clear character progression from point A to point B. It was boring me to death. Its gona be unwhatchable unless i start using the Menu Screen to watch them in order. What drugs was Stone on!!! Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously??

I thought this film was so much stronger than the other two versions and filled in a lot of what the other versions lacked. I thought before the scenes were put together like a patchwork quilt, with not a lot of cohesiveness. This time I felt each scene was introduced in some way by the scene before it, so the scenes had a point of reference that you could relate to. Some of the flashbacks (the way they were placed) and Ptolemy's narration bothered me before, but I thought both served to move the film along, nicely this time. Putting Gaugemela up front was a nice move, as well. It gave the film a whole other feel that helped progress the story along, better. I don't know if putting the film in a linear fashion would have worked, here. For a film with a broad scope like this one, it would have been hard (this film covers a lot of ground, in a short time). I was one who had a hard time with the editiing and stucture the first time around and I thought he nailed it, this time.

But, the time flew by as I watched it and it didn't seem like it was almost 3 1/2 hours. I thought Stone paced this version very well, in my opinion.

I am not getting on you, Slobadog, You are entitled to your opinion, by all means. It's just my cents, for what it's worth.

Dara Smile
Slobadog Melosivec

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for not getting on me. Very Happy I would have been unhappy if you were on me. What I think may have helped would have been extra narration by Old Ptolemy mentioning why he is suddenly going backwards and forwards in time during his telling of Alex's story. Maybe i'll have less headaches if i keep taking breaks after every scene or group of scenes.
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't get on your case (a better way to put it). Life is too short for that. Life is too short to be unhappy about it, as well. Wink Everyone has an opinion and yours is always welcome.

I thought there was enough in the scenes preceeding each flashback to set up what was in the next scene. Ptolemy's narration was longer, but I thought it was put in the right places and just enough without being too overbearing.

Maybe watching it in chunks is better. It will give you more time to absorb things before looking at what comes next, in the film. I watched it in pieces before I sat down and watched the whole thing together. It worked out fine for me.

Dara Smile
joanna

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apelles wrote:
xonix,first,welcome to the forum!Tradition says you have to have a huge glass of wine now to toast Alexander. Very Happy
This all sounds so positive.I reall can't wait to see it!I know Oliver seems so much happier about it now.
Yanna.Does Ivo look at your computer?If so,get him along here now.

Message for Ivo;WATCH ALEXANDER....PLEASE!!!!YOUR WIFE WILL ADORE YOU EVEN MORE THAN SHE DOES NOW.

No, Janie, Ivo does not look at my compluter. But I'll make him watch your message. I'll tell you what he said (but I can tell you from now; it seems that I know his answer... already Mad Mad Mad )
Adriv

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the DVD out yet? Wink
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DVD came out on February 27th (or are you kidding, when you ask).

Go and grab yourself a copy, it is fantastic (if you haven't seen it, yet).

Dara Smile
Cynisca

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Where is Alexander...? Reply with quote

Hi,
I am still patiently waiting for Alexander.....he revisited Babylon, what on earth is he doing.. (or shouldn't I ask Embarassed )
At this rate, I will be quaffing my Guinness in a few days time, while watching Theatrical or Directors ... Sad Sad
It looks as though the eagle has landed somewhere en route and the trireme has had a titanic job to reach Persia... probably followed the directions for Troy Rolling Eyes
Cynisca
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have faith that you DVD will be recovered and delivered to your door very soon, Cynisca. There is still time bfore the chat.

Dara Smile
Adriv

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdiemom94 wrote:
The DVD came out on February 27th (or are you kidding, when you ask).

Go and grab yourself a copy, it is fantastic (if you haven't seen it, yet).

Dara Smile

I haven't been paying attention to everything, so I didn't know if it was out or not. But I will grab a copy for sure Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: