Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviews, Comments and Discussions for Alexander Revisited
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought by your winking smilie Wink , you were kidding when you asked. Sorry I misinterpreted you.

It's worth seeing Adriv. If you liked the Theatrical version or the Director's Cut you will love this version.

Dara Smile
Adriv

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdiemom94 wrote:
I thought by your winking smilie Wink , you were kidding when you asked. Sorry I misinterpreted you.

It's worth seeing Adriv. If you liked the Theatrical version or the Director's Cut you will love this version.

Dara Smile

I'm sure I will Dara Smile
apelles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriv,where were you girl?You missed loads of toasts so you've got a lot of drinking to catch up on!Welcome back. Very Happy Very Happy
Adriv

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apelles wrote:
Adriv,where were you girl?You missed loads of toasts so you've got a lot of drinking to catch up on!Welcome back. Very Happy Very Happy

Hehehe... no problem Apelles, I can catch up with the drinking Razz

I didn't have connection to ATG, but now I do. So, I'm trying to catch up with all of you. It's good to be back Very Happy
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Superstars of the Alexander-UK board! Oliver Stone really likes you guys. Smile

You all deserve a big pat on the back. I listened to an audio interview with Oliver Stone and this board got a mention. It was not a mentioned by name, but I knew who he was talking about.

Oliver Stone says in the interview that "in the UK they formed an Alexander fan club two years ago and they have been great. They have been talking to each other. They filled me in and have actually given me interesting facts. I love the interaction, the concept of real people talking back. He goes on to say he "wouldn't want to live there full time (I agree, we all have lives, too), but the idea of having that communication about something you love, is great. I am only doing it because I love Alexander, I love the movie".

So there you go, kids. He does read this board and he has really enjoyed your posts. It's nice to see a man of his caliber listen to what we have to say. He did this DVD for all of the people who loved the film and you all were a big part of that. Good work all of you.

By the way, here is the link to the downloadable interview from DVDTalk. The whole interview is awesome! (it's about 14 1/2 minutes long). It is one of the best interviews I have heard Oliver Stone give on Alexander and the new DVD. Give it a listen when you get a chance. Don't miss this one.

http://www.dvdtalkradio.com/?rss=oliverstone

Enjoy!

Dara Smile
apelles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely man!And how unusual for someone as high profile as him to listen and give us what we want. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Adriv

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Shocked we're famous now Very Happy
joanna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oliver Stone is a great man himself. Only a man like him would make a film for another great man. They understand each other.

Now that I know for sure that Oliver reads this board (Love cannot be hidden) I have a suggestion to make :

How about throwing a party somewhere and all of us go? Needless to say Oliver included Very Happy It would be something revolutionary for a movie to be given such an attention from ordinary people like us. I believe it would be a success and an example to follow.

What do you think?
Aniketos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about the "Cassander-Roxane" subplot that was supposed to have been in the film. None of the three cuts has shown what this was, but it's pretty clear from a few scenes that there must have been something along these lines! For example, why does Cassander, who was so bitterly opposed to the marriage to Roxane in the first place, accompany her when she tries to go and see Alexander after Cleitus' murder? Why is he standing next to her at Philotas' execution? It looks like they had struck up an alliance. I was hoping that Revisited would clear up this issue, but no luck. I am intrigued at the idea of an alliance between these two people; historically Cassander murdered Roxane and her son, didn't he? Was this early masterful plotting on his part to make her poison Hephaistion, which would then make Alexander weak and easy to poison, and this would in turn, lead to Cassander becoming King?

Is there more of this plot? Can we expect it to be revealed in a future version, perhaps the HD version?
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aniketos,

I think you are out of luck to see any subplots in this version either, unfortunately.

I have read that the HD version will only have a few extras, but no new footage that I know of.

I asked Oliver Stone this exact question over on myspace and he was kind enough to answer it. He is answering questions about the film, there. He does explain in detail why he did not include some of these subplots.

Here is the link to "Alexander Revisited" myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/alexanderrevisited

I encourage people to ask questions. Oliver Stone has been answering them about every two weeks or so. He has answered most of the quetions that have been asked of him. He is getting more comments than questions, so if you have seen the film and want to ask a question, he will more than likely answer it.

Dara Smile

[/url]
Aniketos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dara! Thanks! Smile I had read answers on myspace a while ago, but not the recent ones. How and where does one ask questions? I am not a member of myspace; do I need to become one?

About the subplot, I did watch the final version, and this is where I am more convinced that something of this plot must have been filmed, otherwise it seems a little odd that Cassander appeared to befriend Roxane, and yet at the end Ptolemy says that he had her son killed. I feel (in my biones Exclamation) that this subplot would better explain the "Roxane murdered Hephaistion" aspect. Also, I recall a picture of Hephaistion in a fur hat; could this scene have been with Roxane and/or Cassander? I just find something about this entire Roxane/Cassander friendliness and Roxane poisoning Hephaistion to be a little discontinuous in this version, more so than in other versions.

As for the HD vesrion, it will hopefully have a commentary by OS explaining this version, different scenes, his ideas. And OS could put in a few extra minutes as bonuses - perhaps along the lines of George Lucas' "deleted scenes" concept in the Star Wars DVDs.
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Again Aniketos,

Have you been reading our discussion over on my site (Epic Fim Net)? We have been talking about a few of the same things. We even mentioned the fur hat several times. I believe it was Hephaistion talking to Roxane from the Hindu Kush scenes. I thought there would be more to this and I was a bit surprised that there wasn't.

I think OS wanted to go somewhere with all this, but time restricted it, so he basically hinted at it, but never fully got into any of these subplots. They would have been great to see, but for the average audience it might have been a bit too complex to include them (as OS said). I think I agree. So many people couldn't get past the color of Colin's hair and the accents that were used (which were fine, in my opinion) that throwing some of these other subplots out there, would have been way beyond them. If people can't get past the little things, you can't really present the bigger, more complex things. It would throw an audience for a loop.

I don't mean to sound harsh (I am not trying to be). But, I have read too many things about hair and accents to last me a lifetime. To me, these were minor points, that were made out to be major ones, by a lot of people. That is not what this whole story was about. Many were not able to look past the peripheral things to see what the heart of this story actually was. Once you get distracted by things like this, then you can forget bothering to watch the rest, you probably won't like it, anyway.

The film had it's flaws, certainly. But, there was positively a good story there and one that is worth watching.

Okay, off my soapbox, for now. Laughing

You do need to sign up as a member at myspace, to ank questions. I just put my profile on "private" and not too many people will bother you.

I know Oliver Stone said that he might do a commentary for the HD/Blue-Ray version. He was not absolutely sure about this, though. I hope he does. His commentaries are very good and really enhance the viewing of the film.

I would love to see any bonus footage that is available (even raw footage or alternative footage of some scenes). I know this was done with "Gladiator". They used every scrap of footage that they had. Even the small snippets, were all put into a feature called the Treasure Chest, which was just fantastic! Maybe this will happen. One can only hope.

Dara Smile
Aniketos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dara. I may give the Question thingie and myspace a try; not too much time at the moment, though. Watching Revisited, I am pretty positive that more <i>was</i> filmed explaining the Cassander/Roxana connection, otherwise it doesn't add up that they <i>were</i> filmed as being shown together. But perhaps going into it would mean explaining the <i>motive</i> behind such an alliance was formed, and that was going to take up too much time. "Fur hat" Hephaistion is very very pretty! But then when is he not? Wink
Catherine X

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem! Wink I have just watched the Alexander Revisited DVD [obviously much later than the rest of you Embarassed] and thought it was much clearer than the Theatrical Cut.

Could anyone tell me exactly what has been rearranged and added/ cut? I don't seem to remember these things in the original:

1. A voice over/ narration by Ptolemy all through the film.

2. Bagoas speaking at all.

3. Alexander directly telling Hephaisteon it is him he loves on the 'balcony scene'.

I know I've got a bad memory, can anyone enlighten me? Smile
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem, is right! Wink I guess we need to get back to the business of "Alexander Revisited".

Hi Catherine, how are you?

I see that you have not gotten any answers to your questions, yet. I will try and take a stab at them for you. I thought the Final Cut was a lot clearer, as well. I very much enjoyed this version. The more I see it, the more I like it. I am glad to see that you liked it, too.

First Question

There is more narration from Ptolemy throughout the film. I thought it made the film better and explained more key scenes in the film. OS said he was going to make Ptolemy's narration longer and he did just that.

Second Question

Bagoas did not have a speaking part in the Theatrical cut. OS added several new scenes with Bagoas in
Alexander Revisited" and gave him some dialog. I do remember reading when the Theatrical cut came out that Bagoas had some dialog, but it was cut because of time restraints.

Third Question

This is a great scene, made even better by the new dialog that was included, in Alexander Revisited. Yes, Alexander tells Hephaistion, "it is you I love", in the theatrical cut.

The position of a few scenes were changed in the new version. Gaugamela is now near the beginning of the film. There are many extended scenes such as, the camp walk scene, Gaugemela and India as well as Cleitus' death scene and Roxane's dance scene.

All of what was added made a good film even better in my opinion. I am so glad to see this film get the treatment it deserved, despite all the backlash it has taken. It's great that OS was able to do this version for all of us who wanted to see more. I guess thats what matters in the end, anyway. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: