Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviews, Comments and Discussions for Alexander Revisited
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catherine X

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dara

Thanks for getting back to me Smile. This site is very quiet now isn't it Sad

Yes, what I remember of the theatrical cut is Ptolemy talking a lot at the beginning of the film, but his narration over the whole Revisited film explained what was going on much better. I thought 'ah, so that's why Alexander did that' many times! And it also made Alexander seem more distant and mystical because he himself was not narrating.

I'm glad Bagoas got his dialogue and extra scenes, he really didn't do much in the theatrical cut did he? In the Revisited cut he seemed to have much more of a relationship with Alexander, instead of just standing around looking pretty Laughing

A thing I am confused about though is Roxane's dance scene. Didn't she marry Alexander before this scene in Revisited? I thought that in the theatrical cut Alexander saw her dancing, fell in lust with her and so married her. In Revisited he married her before he saw her dance scene didn't he? Confused

But as I said, Alexander Revisited is excellent and hopefully will be the one that people judge the whole Oliver Stone/ Alexander experience by Very Happy
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catherine X wrote:

A thing I am confused about though is Roxane's dance scene. Didn't she marry Alexander before this scene in Revisited? I thought that in the theatrical cut Alexander saw her dancing, fell in lust with her and so married her. In Revisited he married her before he saw her dance scene didn't he? Confused

But as I said, Alexander Revisited is excellent and hopefully will be the one that people judge the whole Oliver Stone/ Alexander experience by Very Happy

Hi Catherine,

You are correct about Roxane's dance scene. It was arranged differently in "Alexander Revisited". OS put the scenes in as they were originally scripted. He marries her first, the generals meet and talk and then they go and watch her dance. We had a discussion awhile back on my site about how these scenes would have worked better as he did them in "Alexander Revisited" (before the Final Cut was even released). I think it makes much more sense the way he constructed this part of the film. I am glad he did it this way.

For me at least it explains a few things. The cut on Hephaistion's lip is done by Cleitus during the dance scene. In the TC, you have two other scenes in between before Hephaistion knocks on Alexander's door as he is getting ready for his wedding night. You kind of know where he gets the cut from, but you don't have any scenes in between the dance and the wedding night scene in the FC, so he doesn't have the cut and then all of a sudden it appears, again like in the TC.

Also, in the TC, the scenes as they were originally constructed had him see her dance then the generals meet and talk and then the marriage ceremony. This may be an insignificant point and I don't know how they did weddings back then, but if he met her, fell in love and then married her, it must have all been done on the same day. Everyone looked to be wearing the same clothes, if you look carefully. Alexander has the same outfit, with an accessory or two as does Roxane, they just added a veil.
So personally, I think the order is so much better and makes the film look better.

I too hope that OS is judged by this version, as well. I don't know how many gave it another chance, but I think some have and have been pleasantly surprised.

Dara Smile
Catherine X

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I suppose Alexander could still lust after Roxane after they were married, couldn't he? Hopefully husbands do that Laughing

As long as Alexander told Hephaestion it was him that he loved, I'm happy Laughing
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This film is always intriguing, isn't it? I think it will always be that way.

I would still love to see a 10 year version. I know that version came sooner with "Alexander Revisited", but I wouldn't mind seeing even more Very Happy I am sure many wouldn't agree with me, but thats okay.

But, I guess we have seen all there is. I would love to see some deleted scenes that were not included (even the small snipets). We have seen all that is important, so that is what matters. OS says, he has put "Alexander" to bed, so thats basically all he has for this film. But, we always have the DVD's to enjoy for a long time to come. Smile

Susan posted over on my site, an interview with Oliver Stone from The Guardian newspaper. It really is a good, candid, honest and up front interview.

Here is the link:

http://film.guardian.co.uk/interview/interviewpages/0,,2145389,00.html

Enjoy!

Dara Smile
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if we don't get a 10 year version of "Alexander" (which I know is out of the question) can we get Oliver to do a film about another ancient historical character? What do you think?

I think he would do a wonderful job with another character. There are so many great stories to tell and OS would do a fine job telling them. I know ATG was his passion project and he knew so much about him, but there are plenty of other people in history with stories that have not yet been told.

I know it's partly up to the studio to be willing make the film and on Oliver Stone actually wanting to do another film in the same genre (and all of the hard work that goes along with doing an epic film, again).

He was asked on My Space about what ancient or historical person he would like to do a film about and this is what he said:

After Alexander what ancient or historical person would you like to do a movie about?

There is no ancient or historical person that I would like to do more than Alexander. I’m a big believer in holding your secret desires close to your heart, and not talking about something before you write it. If I go back into the past, I hope it will surprise you.

Well, I hope he will surprise us with another story some time in the future.

But, I would take a box set of the "Alexander" films with more deleted or alternative scenes that never made it into the film. I want to see all there is, related to this film. Is it wishful thinking? Maybe....but so was "Alexander Revisited" a short time ago. He listened to all of us once, so you never know. I am not asking too, too much here, am I? Laughing I guess I should know better by now. Very Happy

Okay, off my soapbox now. I really do appreciate all that we got from Oliver Stone, but if there is anything that was left out, I am always game to see more, if there is more.

Dara Smile
joanna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see 'The Last Legion' ? I'd like to see it very much. I read the book and it's quite interesting.
joanna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ops, sorry I should have posted it on the Genaral Discussion topics Confused
Leonnatus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander Revisited is a masterpiece. It would have been nice to have seen it dubbed in Ancient Greek with subtitles in a special feature option, but that is probably an exorbitant request or something for action "further down the line" as the saying goes. I would choose for a famous character from the past, Cyrus the Great. The Great regarded him as one of this inspirations and Cyrus' story is remarkable. The movie should be in Ancient Persian dialogue with subtitles. Cool
joanna

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leonnatus wrote:
Alexander Revisited is a masterpiece. It would have been nice to have seen it dubbed in Ancient Greek with subtitles in a special feature option, but that is probably an exorbitant request or something for action "further down the line" as the saying goes. I would choose for a famous character from the past, Cyrus the Great. The Great regarded him as one of this inspirations and Cyrus' story is remarkable. The movie should be in Ancient Persian dialogue with subtitles. Cool

Leonnatus, you always come up with some fine ideas Idea
I could rewrite all the script of the movie in ancient Greek ( I'm learning the language now) and I could send it to the ones that are interested in seeing and listening to it. I could even record it asking some Greek friends of mine who are actors to contribute to this excellent plan (I would personally like to have the role of Olympias) Very Happy

" Αλέξανδρε, υιέ έμος , μεγάλος εί’’
Cynisca

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leonnatus wrote:

I watched a clip of Troy that was in dubbed Greek language and it made an amazing difference, although the Bireme rowers had me giggling...and 300 clip with Greek subtitles looked great...!
I like the idea of historical films using original language and subtitles...it gives a feeling of realism.
joanna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came back to Manchester after the terrible Christmas holidays I had and I brought Alexander Revisited DVD with me. I forgot I can't watch it here on my laptop as it's in region 1. How stupid of me! The stressful university life has started to affect me... negatively. I should have remembered that.
Forget things about Alexander? Shocked Noooo! Help!
joanna

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a DVD shop the other day here in Manchester and I saw a familiar blue with the red eagle DVD with Colin on the cover case. Well, yes, it was ALEXANDER REVISITED. I was so happy to see it. Finally people can see it here in Region 2. I will probably buy it. One more ALEXANDER in my collection Smile . How many Alexanders I have! I haven't done anything like that in my life before. So, I guess, Alexander is the movie that has inspired me the most of all I've ever seen. It will always be like that...fOR EVER!!!
Cynisca

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdiemom94 wrote:
Well, if we don't get a 10 year version of "Alexander" (which I know is out of the question) can we get Oliver to do a film about another ancient historical character? What do you think?

I think he would do a wonderful job with another character. There are so many great stories to tell and OS would do a fine job telling them. I know ATG was his passion project and he knew so much about him, but there are plenty of other people in history with stories that have not yet been told.

I know it's partly up to the studio to be willing make the film and on Oliver Stone actually wanting to do another film in the same genre (and all of the hard work that goes along with doing an epic film, again).

He was asked on My Space about what ancient or historical person he would like to do a film about and this is what he said:

After Alexander what ancient or historical person would you like to do a movie about?

There is no ancient or historical person that I would like to do more than Alexander. I’m a big believer in holding your secret desires close to your heart, and not talking about something before you write it. If I go back into the past, I hope it will surprise you.

Well, I hope he will surprise us with another story some time in the future.

But, I would take a box set of the "Alexander" films with more deleted or alternative scenes that never made it into the film. I want to see all there is, related to this film. Is it wishful thinking? Maybe....but so was "Alexander Revisited" a short time ago. He listened to all of us once, so you never know. I am not asking too, too much here, am I? Laughing I guess I should know better by now. Very Happy

Okay, off my soapbox now. I really do appreciate all that we got from Oliver Stone, but if there is anything that was left out, I am always game to see more, if there is more.

Dara Smile

A continuation film about the Wars of the Diadochi, maybe following the career of Ptolemy Soter and how he became Pharoah of Egypt or Nicator Seleucus and Aparma the founders of the Seleucid dynysty.
Or the story of the Ptolemic dynysty ending with a more realistc version of Cleopatra's life...?
joanna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Amazon.co.uk, I wrote a post for Alexander Revisited, you know when they ask the customers opinion.
I noticed that there are much more positive comments about the movie than negative ones. I don't really understand what happened the time that Alexander was released at the cinemas. It seems that people like it. It's the stupid ctitics, the sophisticated ones Rolling Eyes with their negative remarks that caused all the problems that time.
Sikander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: The Alexander movie Reply with quote

Greetings,

"I don't really understand what happened the time that Alexander was released at the cinemas. It seems that people like it. It's the stupid ctitics, the sophisticated ones with their negative remarks that caused all the problems that time."

I am in the group of people who disliked the movie that was first released at the cinema. There were many reasons for my, and others, response to the film, little of which had to do with being stupid or sophisticated but had much to do with the story of Alexander and movie making in general.

I *will* agree that those who condemned the movie for its "homosexual overtones" were responding not to the movie, but to something inside themselves, but many of the critics had valid negative responses to the movie *as a movie*. This is why the film has been released three times- Stone recognized some of the critical flaws and tried to address them; but for some of us, the elements that made the movie less than it could have been were not curable as the flaw rested in the script, the way he condensed the story by sacrificing the *real* story of the very person he was trying to portray and in the use of all too common stereotypes and "Hollywood" fantasies that detracted from the story rather than add to it.

Stone knew the story he wanted to tell but forgot that the *audience* was not familiar with the story or Alexander. While I was in the theatre, the comments from the audience were ones of confusion regarding the story line, the characters(here, I *did* feel Stone failed to flesh out the people around Alexander, which resulted in confusion and a lack of engagement in the audience) and the chronology of the historical events (Stone repaired much of that in the second release, I felt). Some of the scenes were filmed to symbolize specific things but were badly set up so that, what should have been a dramatic, telling moment about Alexander's personality (Hephaistion's death, for example) resulted in laughter from the audience. The wedding night with Roxanna (which in the original release was over-burdened with too many "hints" of the supposed sexual tension between Olympiada and Alexander and the "cat-like nature of both women) resulted in embarrassed laughter from the audience- not due to the nudity but because the audience did not know what to do with the way the "snarling wedding fight" was set up.

Many of the critics liked aspects of the film, but felt it failed as a story and as a movie. I watched the movie twice, in two separate theatres, and in both the audience reaction was the same, so it was not about "stupid" critics or "sophisticated" critics but about recognizing that a movie, no matter what the subject matter, has to appeal to a wider audience than its
fan base.

One of the things I *was* surprised at was the negative response to the score, however. What is your opinion of the soundtrack? Many found it "silly", "heavy", or apparently do not like Vangelis to start with?

Regards,
Sikander
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: